Schizophrenia | Teen Ink

Schizophrenia

By skyblue95 PLATINUM, Bear, Delaware
skyblue95 PLATINUM, Bear, Delaware

I am paraphrasing, of course. "My only fear is that when they are turned to loving they will find we are turned to hating." -Reverand Msimangu, Cry, The Beloved Country (a book by Alan Paton)

I KNOW YOU DON’T LIKE THIS, BUT THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE TO DO.
We? Since when did there become a “we”?
SINCE OUR MOTHER WENT AWAY AND DIDN’T COME BACK. I CANT DO THIS ANYMORE. I HAVE TO GET OUT OF OUR HEAD.
Please, no. This can’t be happening, I have to be dreaming.
YOU’RE NOT DREAMING. I’M GOING TO MAKE YOU PAY, YOU HEARTLESS LITTLE GIRL.
Heartless? You’re the one taking control of our body. Listen to me, “our body”. There shouldn’t even be an “us” or a “we” or an “our”. There should only be me inside this head. You need to go, now.
THAT’S WHAT I’M TRYING TO DO, NAVIDIA.
No, Sierra, you’re trying to get rid of me so that you won’t have to share the body anymore. Well, it’s not going to work, I won’t let it.
UGH! DO YOU HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING?! IT’S YOUR FAULT MOM DIED IN THE FIRST PLACE!
My fault? No, it’s not my fault. It’s your fault. You’re the one who picked up that phone to call her in the first place. If she hadn’t of been on the phone with you, maybe she would have seen that tractor trailer coming at her. Maybe she’d still be alive and I wouldn’t be here.
IT’S NOT MY FAULT.
Yes, it is your fault. And you know it.
NO, IT’S NOT MY FAULT, IT’S YOUR FAULT.
No.
YES.
Sierra… You know it’s your fault your mother died. You know it, you just don’t want to admit it.

See?
IT IS MY FAULT… ISN’T IT?
That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you.
MOM’S GONE BECAUSE…BECAUSE OF ME.
Yes.
IT’S
MY
FAULT.

Inspired by the disease itself.