Writer's Block | Teen Ink

Writer's Block

By Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other
Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

A blank page stares up at me, blue lines glaringly sharp. The red margin drips like blood down the paper. My pen, dry, of course, hovers threateningly, before falling to the desk.

I’m told I now have twenty minutes left to write my “original story” for the School Certificate trial English exam. Distracted, I look up from the paper in front of me and watch as the second hand ticks on, slowly erasing the precious minutes I have left. This story will be marked by someone who does not know me and so I want it to be good. I don’t want to write the usual boring stuff written by my peers. I know I can do better than that, I just have to think! I’m running out of time. I have already wasted more than half my time desperately trying to write the first sentence.

I'm never going to write a good story in time!

I run my eyes over the question again, desperately hoping it will bring some small spark of inspiration. It doesn’t. I glance up at the clock again. 10 minutes. Desperation, mixed with resentment flows through my veins, and I begin to hate whoever thought of the idea of writing a story. I thought it would be easy, but I never realized how hard it would be under a time limit! A sudden burst of inspiration finally fits me and I breathe a sigh of relief. I spend another precious minute lost in thought.

Suddenly, the blank page looks inviting, its lines made of fluffy blue and pink cotton clouds. My pen flies across them, pausing only to dot 'i's and cross the 't's.

I manage to finish with five minutes left. Taking a deep breath and hoping I’ve done as well as I think, I hand in my paper to the supervising teacher. She files it away amongst all the others.

I smile, relieved it’s finally over. Now all I have is my Science exam to do then I’m free!

As I pack up, I wonder what the marker's reaction will be. I hope they give me a decent mark! The story isn’t my best, but I bet none of my year wrote about a witch who gets airsick! They might not like it, but they can't take off points for originality!

I thought I'd write this for my Trial, but I ended up writing something completly different. Let me know what should be improved or whether I should continue it.

mattisonteeter GOLD, Los Angeles, California

The last few lines made me laugh :)

I liked it I can relate to that situation and you're feelings while experiencing that.

Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

This is nicely written , and you have little mistakes and errors. I like how you described the paper coming to life, and it was a relatable piece.

Great Job!

Ellawind PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Dream like you will live forever, live like you will die today.

Completely relatable and funny. nice work!

Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Great job! I liked it. Would you mind reading my poem The True Meaning of Writer's Block? Thanks! :)

Anonymousme GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so whoever believes in hill will not die but have eternal life.

Dreams are what make us who we are, a life without dreams is like a life without air.

I absolutely LOVE this! The only thing is, I wish it had been a little longer and I had seen a bit more struggle. I would totally read something like this as I can relate to it my self. I especially loved the line about dotting the i's and crossing the t's. Good job! Very good!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

Ahh, the bane of every writer's existence. :)  I love it!  I especially like the contrasting symbolism for the blank page - really added a unique touch. :)  There's only one major thing I would change; the time seems to flow unrealistically.  The way you put it, it seems like she wrote the whole story in four minutes, after having writers block for over twenty.  Other than that, I like it!  Good job!

Simon Cowell feedback--you asked for it!

I do every review differently--yours by e.m.a.il. Aren't you special? I thought I'd leave this comment in case it boosted your ratings for this article or whatever.

I thought I'd have good intentions for once ;P

amandap PLATINUM, Midlothian, Virginia
ahaha! I like the airsick part too, it's brilliant! :) very good description of how writer's block looks and feels on the paper!!!

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

It's true. I really have written a story about a witch who gets airsick! It accidently got deleted though... :( I'm glad you liked it! :D It means a lot! I wasn't sure what people's reactions would be.   

ForeverFelix PLATINUM, Catasauqua, Pennsylvania

Daydreams can be worse than nightmares, but that never stops me.

Haha Angel, this made me laugh. "A witch who gets airsick..." hehe. Good job =)