Paige | Teen Ink

Paige

By Elisabeth GOLD, Nottingham, New Hampshire
Elisabeth GOLD, Nottingham, New Hampshire

"A true friend is hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget."

I sit in the hallway, my back to my locker, legs stretched out in front of me, my iPod stuck in my ear. Kids walked by, totally ignoring me. I am invisible to everyone.

Finally after sitting alone for a while, Paige walked over. She looked great it her light pink shirt with the sleeves on the shoulders instead of her shoulders. Her faded blue jeans went down to her ankles and then stopped at her black and white converse.

Her caramel hair bounced as she walked towards me, he Caribbean blue eyes sparkled as she came closer.

“Hey,” she says “Can I sit?” I smile and patted the floor next to me. Okay, so I lied earlier. I am invisible to everyone except her.

“Whatcha doing?” I ask her. She looks at me, and then at my iPod. I take one of the ear buds out of my ear and stick it in hers. She smiles, moving closer to me so that our arms and legs touched.

“So, Matt” she starts “Brandon wanted us to go on a double date tonight. He is taking Leah to the movies. Will you please go?” I frown. Brandon is one of the guys in her neighborhood and she grew up with him, but she also went out with him before me, so I don’t really like hanging out with him.

“Pleeaassee?” she asks again. I groan.

“Fine.” I give in, and she smiles, giving me a little kiss on the cheek.

“Thank you! See you tonight!”

I meet Paige at her house, and hang with her till Brandon and Leah get her. We watch T.V. and she curls up next to me. She is just about asleep when the doorbell rings. She rubs her eyes and looks up at me.

“Time to go?” She whispers. I nod. I grab her purse and we walk out the door to Leah and Brandon standing on the front porch. We walk out hand in hand and get in Brandon’s convertible. Then, we go straight to the movie.

While we are there, we see a horror movie. I don’t really know the name, or in fact what it was about because Leah and Brandon were making too much noise next to us. Paige and I split a popcorn and soda while Brandon has a beer or three and so does Leah.

Finally, we leave. We get into the car and I insist on driving but Brandon won’t let me. I sit in the back, my arm protectively wrapped around Paige. Everything seems fine, till the car swerves and we hit something, hard. The car flips over, and I am temporarily knocked out. When I wake up, Brandon and Leah are gone and so is Paige. There are people prying open the doors of the car. One man takes me out and sits me on the ground.

“You okay?” he asks me, and I nod. He nods too, and then says,

“I need to go help the others with the other people in the crash. Someone will be here in a second.” I ignore him, looking around. I see Brandon and Leah standing up talking to some cops. I see an ambulance starting to drive away, and I see people that are staring at me.

“Who’s in the ambulance?” I ask someone. They stare at me again.

“A girl, she was dead, but people insisted that we call the ambulance anyways.” I looked at him. Paige. Dead. Really? NO! But later that night it was confirmed. She was dead. Brandon killed her. And I will get revenge.