Hey World? It's me, Katie | Teen Ink

Hey World? It's me, Katie

September 11, 2010
By datrumpeter PLATINUM, Jefferson City, Missouri
datrumpeter PLATINUM, Jefferson City, Missouri
40 articles 6 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
'Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. that way, when you insult them, you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.'


I tried to ignore you, Dad. I turned my iPod up all the way, but you broke through the noise barrier.
I didn't want to talk to you again. I knew you just wanted to yell at me, because I'm not good enough for you. Not a good enough daughter.
You started yelling, and I had to listen. It was the same as always and eventually you let me leave for school, late again.
~~~~~
I didn't want to go to the movies with you, Jake. I knew you didn't want to watch the movie at all, but I went anyway.
But now you’re yelling at me. I wasn't paying attention to you go on and on about your spectacular pass at the football game I was at. I'm not a good enough girlfriend. Eventually you just broke up with me and let me go to homeroom.
~~~~~
I didn't want to talk to you, Danny. I wasn't in the mood to listen to what stupid things your girlfriend was doing now, but you wouldn't be quiet.
Now you’re yelling at me, saying what a bad friend I am. I'm not a good enough friend. Eventually you just stormed away, leaving me standing by the lockers alone.
~~~~~
"Hey World? It's me, Katie. I was just wondering if maybe, you could send someone else along."
I didn't want to write a letter to God, Mr. Simpson. But you said it was 50% of my final grade, so I tried.
And now you're yelling at me, you say I didn't understand the point of the assignment. Eventually you let me go home, but I know your thinking I'm not a good enough student.
~~~~~
"I didn't want to work on this project with you, Caden." I blurted out. Normally I don't tell people.
You stared at me surprised. You're not yelling at me. I don't know what to do.
"Didn't? Or don't?" you asked me, still not yelling. I was surprised that my mouth responded, while my brain said to keep quiet.
"Didn't." I said, standing there awkwardly. You smiled, and said "Good." Then you took my hand, and we walked to my house. You left me on the front porch, and I stared, amazed, after you.
You didn't yell. At all.
~~~~~~
Hey World? It's me, Katie. Thanks.