Starvation | Teen Ink

Starvation

By J.A.M. SILVER, Lacey, Washington
J.A.M. SILVER, Lacey, Washington

A hollow stomach grumbles; a whisper from within urging you to eat. But after a while, you learn to silence it. And after an even longer while, the grumbles turn to pain; pain of a belly full of acids with nothing to digest but the inner walls of itself. This isn’t so easy to ignore. Your mind starts to change, the things that were once of great importance take flight and flee from your growing hunger that knaws at your sanity, humanity. Food becomes the only thought in your mind. Every inhale and exhale you breathe is a whisper that seems to say “feed me”. You become sort of like a wild dog. The only thing that propels your legs to move is the thought of being fed. You don’t care what it is, or how you get it. Food. Every step, food. Every breath, food. Your humanity is carried away on the black carriage of death. What was once a luxury becomes your entire mind and soul. Soon you can hardly move. Yet you long to. You want nothing more then to continue the search for anything to satisfy this monster your hunger has become. But the pain is paralyzing. You curl your legs up, wrap your arms around them, biting your arm as if it will quench your hunger, and take away the pain. Your head spins and the world turns to black and you are alone. Alone with this monster that has taken you away from yourself, pulled you under the water. You don’t have the strength to fight it any longer. You give up on the search for food. Your life drifts away as your stomach acids finally dissolve your last hope of surviving. Finally, you feel relief as your last heartbeat’s echo fades away. The soul of an abandoned body finally freed of its ravenous hunger.

I wrote this in my english class while reading the book "Night" by Elie Wiesel. If any of you have never read it, it's a moving story about a holocaust survivor and his life in a concentration camp.

Babylufin GOLD said...
Babylufin GOLD, Liberal, Missouri

"'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11. Thank you Lord, for this future you've given me.

Wow, I love the details. It makes my own stomach hurt from starvation.

I've been meaning to read that book, but haven't quite got around to it (lame excuse)...

This was awesome. :) Good job!

Please take a look/rate/comment some of my work if you ever have the time? :) It would mean a Lot!