Lies become the Truth | Teen Ink

Lies become the Truth

June 28, 2010
By AsherJ SILVER, Parker, Colorado
AsherJ SILVER, Parker, Colorado
6 articles 2 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
~Dr. Seuss


“Why didn’t you call me?” “My father died…” “Oh, I didn’t know. I am so sorry for your loss. What happened” “He died of natural causes. I’ve got to go.” “Beep... Beep… Beep…” Sarah was s tired of hearing that one word. Couldn’t people think of a different word? Her normal excuse definitely aroused her natural hatred of the word sorry; Sarah stepped out of her car and onto the sidewalk outside her apartment complex. Instead of going into her apartment she strolled down the boardwalk.
The salty wind blew through her long blond hair. She tugged at her hair. Thinking to her that she should go get it cut. But instead of going to the salon Sarah walked into the fortune teller next door. She was engulfed in a swirl of incense and smoke.
An older looking woman silently led her to the back and sat her in an overstuffed chair. The woman seated herself in a chair opposite Sarah and laid her hand on the tabel. Palm up, expecting something. “Oh, money,” she murmured, as she scrambled for her purse. The woman shook her head and said in a heavily accented voice, “Reading free.” Sarah realized the woman wanted her hand for reading. Cautiously she put her upturned hand on the table. For a few minutes the woman stared intently at it until she began. “Much ahead of you… But many lies. Lies become real.” Sarah was startled to see anger in the old woman’s eyes, and tried to pull away. She released Sarah’s arm but began to chant. Before Sarah was out the door she suddenly fell to the ground.
Sarah was awakened by her apartment phone ringing. Stretching and rolling over she picked it up. Without looking she knew it was her day. “Hey Daddy!” Sarah said as she answered the phone. To her extreme embarrassment a female voice said, “Um… is Sarah there?” Blushing she murmured. “This is her. Is anything wrong?” “I am calling to inform you that this morning you father passed away.” “When?” “This morning… Err May 18th, 2009 at…” “Why?” “We have no idea…”