One Hi = One Heart Warmed | Teen Ink

One Hi = One Heart Warmed

By chrisoulakat PLATINUM, Tinley Park, Illinois
chrisoulakat PLATINUM, Tinley Park, Illinois

"Stop waiting and be free. Of me- put me deep inside you and then go out in the world and live. Love the world and yourself in it, move through it offers no resistance, as though the world is your natural element." -The Time Traveler's Wife

Me, myself, and I are single as a pringle. Let’s face it: I have cerebral palsy. I’m not the prettiest girl in this world. And I sure am self-conscious about myself. That’s why I leave five minutes early from my classes- just so I won’t be noticed. But it’s hard not to, because people always wander around. The main thing I focus on is: How will people look at me? Will they stare at me like I’m an alien? Or will they smile slightly and keep walking? God only knows, and only I really know what they’ll do- Stare at me like an alien. I judge everything I do and say to try to seem normal. I try my hardest in my academics and succeed. I try to be the best person who I am, and I’m conflicting with my heart and mind.

Today, I walk from my Extended Algebra 1 class that I am starting to enjoy. Because I have cerebral palsy, I walk different from others. So, I, as a human, am different physicality and exterior wise. When I turned the corner of the hallway, I saw people. In my head all I thought was, ‘Oh dear God, please let this be Cory (a guy I know).’ Then, in the middle of the hallway with two options: 1. To walk down the stairs and run away from people. 2. Keep walking and act like nothing is wrong. (BIG LIE!)

I chose option two. I walked and noticed four people working on their tests in this narrow, silent hallway. Now, I clutched my books as I saw a guy, and took a glance. He had brown, shaggy hair, brown eyes, from what I saw- I think he was the guy who I talked to yesterday about the Chicago White Sox? My memory can be horrible. While I looked at him precisely working on the science test, he looked up. No, he didn’t stare like the girl a minute ago did, but he smiled. His smile was oh, so great that I took it in like never before. And you know what? He said hi with his male, bass, projected voice with an AMAZING smile! Before I knew it, I smiled- actually glowed, and started to feel timid, and stupid me- shyly said ‘Hi.’

Shyly?! I know… How dare me! I could’ve been stronger, and you know what? After he said hi… I walked down the hallway with a smile on my face, knowing that a good looking guy can make a girl with a physical disability have a positive day just saying hi, and make her feel normal.