Apocalypse | Teen Ink

Apocalypse

By rayj095 GOLD, Gadsden, Alabama
rayj095 GOLD, Gadsden, Alabama

"And if we're lucky, we realize, in the face of everything, in the face of life, the true dream is being able
to dream at all." -Grey's Anatomy

Awaken by a loud burst, I turn over and look at the clock that reads a quarter after midnight. Beginning to think I had dreamed the loud noise I realize I'm not the only one awake, that it happens to be that my entire family is awake and maybe even my entire neighborhood as well. I jump out of bed and take a glimpse out my window and see neighbors talking out in their yards, and t.v. lights flashing through windows. I automatically assume that their might have been a shooting, or maybe the president died, or maybe even an earthquake until I notice all the clouds and foggy smoke in the sky hidding the stars and moon.

I stumble down the steps finding my brother, mom, and dad standing in front of the television in disbelief. My brother, Ryan, looks still half asleep and as if he was on another planet, far from Earth. I had a feeling in my gut that it might not be the best time to talk, so I quietly walk and watch the news along with my family. It doesn't take long for me discover that a comet just hit the other side of the planet and might destory our only home, Earth. The comet is only a mile long, but the speed while it hit the Earth happened to make the damage a lot worse than we could imagine. Seeing pictures on the screen of smoke and fires hundreds of miles from Austrailia, where the comet landed, made me horrified and I really thought it wasn't real until I heard the squeel my brother let out that made us all turn from the television.
"Where do we go?" Ryan questioned as he began to let out a sob. "Why didn't they stop it?"
"Everything will be fine, they will fix it," my mom told him trying to comfort him.

My mom tries to convince us that the clouds will go away and its not the end of the world, but it doesn't fool me. I know what is going to happen, scientists have known about this too. I picture it in my mind, the clouds getting darker and blocking the sun and it will begin to get cold, crops will die and later on the life will too. The comet that fell will continue to destroy our planet, it will be like atomic bombs going off every second for months. Not including all the ones that have already met death, but the numbers will increase and eventually there won't be anymore to count or take. I don't ask any questions because I already know. There wasn't enough technology or money to land on the comet and stop it from hitting Earth, they saw it coming, they just didn't make it public.

Weeks later people are still dying, and from what is said there is no way in stopping it. Most of my family show their emotions by keeping quiet and rarely talking. School is out of the question, and food is running scarce. People are beginning to turn into nuts, and are doing things they wouldn't do if they were in the right mind. The atmosphere is not what it used to be and is only getting worse. Most would always say that we would prepare for things like this just in case "if" it happened, but the truth is it was always "going" to happen, and the time has came. It won't take long for the destruction of the world to move closer and blow away more lives. The only thing for us to do now is wait, because thats all we can do.

rayj095 GOLD said...
rayj095 GOLD, Gadsden, Alabama

to dream at all." -Grey's Anatomy

It isn't tagged under romance.

altimesmiles said...
i just have one question what does this have to do with romance

smiley10507 PLATINUM, Fairview Heights, Illinois

"Don't put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today for today is yesterday's tomorrow."

I didn't gt it... It wasn't very descriptive of the entire thing. But it was mysterious and deep. I loved it. Even though it was short and to the point, it got the message across in the end. It was all very enjoyable. 4 out of 5.

Lexi-pex GOLD said...
Lexi-pex GOLD, Billingham, Other

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Words cannot describe...THIS STORY BLEW ME AWAY! seriously, I loved it. loved. it. please keep writing more, because i will definitely read on. great job!