Trashed | Teen Ink

Trashed

By realRayofSunshine SILVER, Harvard, Massachusetts
realRayofSunshine SILVER, Harvard, Massachusetts

"One day the world will wake up to see the reality"-John Lennon

My name is Maggie and I am a huge weirdo.
Or so I thought.
I really don’t know anymore.
If you care for further explanation, allow me to enlighten you.
Two days ago I was walking past the popular kids: Jackie, Tasha, Mariana, Joe, Katie, Mason, and Derek after school. As I walked by innocently, respectfully looking away so as not to soil their beautiful faces with mine, Katie and her beautiful golden hair, cinnamon eyes and sprinkled freckles, came up to me and said: “Maggie, what’s the point?”
“Umm, wait, wait, what?”
“To you. You know, you.” She sneered.
“To me…?”
“As in, why are you here?” She raised her freshly plucked eyebrows.
“I…what?”
“I’ll tell you. The point you’re with us this bright and sunshiny day is so you can bring us all together.”
“Um, Thank you.” I replied, feeling blissful.
“Simply by giving us something to laugh about, something light those dopey earrings you have, or that freaky necklace,” she tugged at the string necklace my granddad made for me and threw it on the ground
“Or those beautiful, rosy cheeks of yours.” She pointed at the ugly pimples covering most of my face. Her, Jackie, Natasha, Mariana, Joe, and Mason walked away laughing and saying “Katie, you’re so mean. Hahahaha!”
If you were paying attention you would notice that one of the people in this group stayed with me. Derek.
“Um,” he said.
“Nice.” I sneered.
“I’m really sorry, I’m just as upset as you are, kind of.”
“Kind of?” I said. Tears started to form. Crap, I thought. But then Derek reached down and picked up the broken string necklace from the floor.
“I want to fix this for you.” He offered.
“Why?” I asked, confident in defeating my rival.
“Because I hate my friends. I hate who they are and sometimes, I hate myself.” He blushed, like he thought he had given too much information.
“That…sucks.” I murmured. He smiled. I put my jet-black hair into a ponytail and stared into his different colored eyes. One was blue, and one was green.
“What if I stopped hanging out with them? I mean, if I did, I could end up like you,” his eyes widened with sudden regret as I felt my stomach clench and my jaw tighten. “That came out wrong.” He pleaded. “What I mean is, I could be a really kind person, always being trashed. Looking up to the wrong people and having to look out for myself every minute…”
I sighed.
Or so I thought.
I really don’t know anymore.

I wasn't doing anything, so I just wrote. I was thinking of having Maggie and Derek linked romantically towards the end, but I decided that was cliche and a bit too fast. So it's up to you to decide what happens with them.

on Apr. 17 2010 at 9:33 am
awesomeaugust GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts

"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground"
~Theordore Roosevelt

Haha, yeah Derek is a good name :)

Anyway, hey Cripple this is really really good. I liked the repitition at the beginning and the end, and I liked that you didn't make a romantic relationship betweeen them- such a cliche. A really nice length and an ending that lets your imagination take ov er- LOOVE it!

DerekHH SILVER said...
DerekHH SILVER, Millersville, Maryland
VERY CREATIVELY DONE!! - I thought this actually happened until I read the quote and realized you just have a good imagination.

People named Derek are so nice...