The Prisoner | Teen Ink

The Prisoner

By dancer16 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
dancer16 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

I was home alone. I mean it was not that big of a deal. I have been home alone many times before. I usually just study, do chores, or relax and watch T.V. But tonight it felt different, like something unusual was bound to happen.

I turned on the news. Something caught my eye. Apparently a prisoner was loose in my city. Oh great. I was a teenage girl home alone at night; it was not usually a bad thing but tonight it was. Prisoners are obviously in prison because they are bad people. He would see I’m alone. He would break in. He would kill me.

I ran to the front door and the back door to make sure they were locked up. I love my mom so much. I can’t let everything she’s ever worked for get stolen and her only daughter killed. She’s always been there for me, always provided all my needs, and has always been there to listen to my problems. I have to do this for her.

I heard a car horn beep. I didn’t want to look out the window to see what it was. It was probably the prisoner meeting with one of his buddies. Probably getting drugs or weapons. Planning on breaking in. I should call the cops right now.
My mom was supposed to be here forty-five minutes ago. There was a big crash and the power went out. I’ve seen this in movies. The killer cuts the power line and sneaks in. Maybe it’s the prisoner. Maybe this is part of his plan.

I used my cell phone as a light and it guided me up the stairs. I sat on my bedroom floor in front of my door. My cell phone rang and it showed up private.
“Hello?” I answered trying to be as quite as possible.
“Anna…Anna…Anna.” A voice said in a low deep whisper. I didn’t say anything I just hung up. It was probably the prisoner.

I continued to sit there on the floor. I was fiddling with my phone. I could just see it. My mom getting home from work, she would see a lot of police cars. The cops would tell her that her home had been broken into. They would also tell her that I, her only daughter, was dead. She would fall to her knees crying.

The power came back on and there were a lot of sirens. I didn’t want to go downstairs. I didn’t know if the prisoner was in there. I tiptoed down the stairs peeking my head every way. But there was nothing,

My phone rang again. “Hello?” I answered.
“Hi, is this Ann?” a serious voice asked.
“Yeah,” I replied.
“This is Doctor Patrick. Your mother is here at the hospital. She was in a terrible car accident,” he explained.
My heart dropped to my stomach. “Is…she…okay?” My voice began to shake.
“Why don’t you find a way here, okay?”
“Yeah, I’ll be…right …there.” I hung up.
I put on a jacket and grabbed my house key. As soon as I got to the hospital they showed me where my mom was. She was covered in blood and her face was all cut up. She looked at me with teary eyes.
“Anna?” she said with the same voice as the person that had called.
I bent over her trying not to hurt her injuries. “I love you mom, I love you so much. I’ve been trying to save us from the prisoner.”
The door opened and Dad walked in. He was crying. “I’m so sorry. I never really wanted a divorce. I was just mad. I love you.”
Mom looked at us both. “I love you both more than anything in the world…but the prisoner got me,” she said straining her voice.
A cop walked in holding a beer can in his hand. “This was found in her car.”
Dad spoke up “We were fighting. She must have been stressed out and started drinking. Then she drove home, alone.”
I was still looking at mom. How did the prisoner get her? What was with the beer?
“I’ll be right back in, mom. I love you,” I said and walked outside of the hospital.
I noticed a guy and a girl screaming mean things at each other. I didn’t know who they were but the guy had a beer in his hand. He got in a red car alone. He was swerving all over the road. It looked like he was going to get in an accident.
I walked back in the room as the cop was leaving. Dad and mom were holding hands and she continued looking at me. Under her breath she said, “I love you” and died. All the nurses rushed in panicking.
I dropped to my knees crying really hard. Nobody could get me up. I knew she was gone and I couldn’t admit it to myself. After that I went into a big depression. I was never going to see my mom again. Up to this day I still cry every night before bed. I miss her very much. I love her.
That night I just stood there thinking about how strange it had been earlier. Home alone, afraid of the prisoner who was still loose (according to the news). All the signs I thought were the prisoner ended up being my mom getting in the car accident. Then the scene of the people fighting was just weird. The guy could’ve been killed like my mom due to fighting and drinking. That was the worst night of my entire life.
I had been afraid of the real prisoner. On the news they said it was a very serious situation. Wouldn’t you be scared? You don’t know him, you don’t know what he’s done, all you know is that he did something bad. That very night I was afraid of that prisoner, I found another prisoner, the combination of Alcohol and fighting. It’s dangerous, it’s evil, and it’s bad. It ruins people’s lives. That can be part of the reason real prisoners end up in prison. The real prisoner didn’t catch us, but the symbolical prisoner did.
The prisoner broke into my house and stole what was great and loving in me. I hate fighting. I hate alcohol. I hate the prisoner. And I believe he is still loose.

What inspired me to right this is that I have seen what happens with fighting although this is fiction. I thought about what a prisoner means to me and how they even ended up in prison. I hope people understand the symbolical prisoner and do not use alcohol, drugs, or even fight.

vibbert5 said...
good job keep up the good work !!!

jeannine said...
love this story very good job !!!