Sea Glass | Teen Ink

Sea Glass

February 7, 2010
By IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other
IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other
71 articles 20 photos 296 comments

Favorite Quote:
"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous


If Sarah and I dropped dead on the beach and no one was here, would anyone know? Probably not; we’re here by ourselves, and the nearest town is a mile away. It’s early morning, the clouds orange and pink. The sun is their breakfast, melting butter on the sea.

Among the pebbles by the water, bright-coloured sea glass reflects the sun. Sarah plucks a red shard and holds it to her eye, dying her blue iris a translucent plum. The tide has washed away all traces of footprints. I pretend we’re the first ones ever to be here. I slide off my sandals and dig in my toes, cool saltwater licking at my heels.

Sarah skips ahead, foam flip-flops in hand, along where the ocean kisses the sand. She unties her hair, a tangle of black curls, from the knot at the nape of her neck. The wind flattens my cotton T-shirt against my stomach, and Sarah splashes me every time she skips. The sun warms us, dribbling across the waves; maybe it’s the clouds’ breakfast, but maybe it’s ours.


The author's comments:
This actually started out as a forty-four-line free-verse poem, if you can believe that. Needless to say, it has changed. This was for the latest assignment for Lit class. The idea was to use interesting language to invoke strong, concrete images as one reads it. It doesn't really have a plot because it's short and it doesn't need one, but I hope you like it.