Together...but Forever? | Teen Ink

Together...but Forever?

By gymnast101 BRONZE, Nottingham, Maryland
gymnast101 BRONZE, Nottingham, Maryland

I awake to find Macy lying on top of me, snoring loudly and obnoxiously. The sun is above the clouds. We must head onward; we are both starved and in need of water. To stay is to die. I nudge Macy gently with my parched nose. She squints and whimpers softly. I lick her rippled fur, even though my tongue is dry, in an affectionate way to assure her that everything is going to be alright today. She is still paranoid about yesterday, when a merciless, German shepherd was hot on our heels. Fortunately, his owner caught up with his dog in his car and shoved him inside, scolding him the entire time. We were very relieved as we sprinted away as far away from the hound as we could. Macy gets up slowly and folds her bottom lip back to make a pitiful, pathetic expression. She wants to be carried. I realize her legs are still weak from the long chase yesterday. I bend down to pick up the youngster by her scruff. My weakness resembles hers. I will not be able to carry her for long. We must find food. I realize it will be tricky to hunt, for the three legs that I have are scarred and full of nothing but shattered bones. Macy will be of no assistance either. As soon as I put her down, she will not move. I could not put blame on her, she is only a pup, and after a chase like yesterday, her legs are very worn. We have to try, however. I climb out of the ditch we were residents of last night. I walk for a few hours and then I realize that the burden of Macy is just too cumbersome. I have to put her down. She cries, however this time loudly. As I start walking, she will not follow. She lay down and stares at me with wide eyes. I knew this would happen. The wind almost carries her light body away. I try to walk away again, but she still will not follow. I recall when my owners dropped me off on the side of an abandoned road. I just lay there, waiting for death to come and consume me. Then came Macy. What an energetic pup she was! She licked me until my spirits were restored. We were together since. As I remember this, it now seems to be the opposite. I am the strong one, trying to force the weakened Macy on.
There is only one thing I can do, which is to go on without her. I start to hobble on. After a while, her whimpers become only a faint sound in the distance. I will come back for her, I know I will. I will find meat, water, or help. I may have to confront a kind-looking human all for the sake of survival. I am willing to do anything for Macy. She saved me from death once, and I will repay her the same way. I know she and I will live happily together, forever. I just know.

Perhaps a different perspective will make people consider circumstances differently.

sydmc5773 said...
sydmc5773, Kingsville, Maryland

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." ~ APWBD

This is really groovy story. It's genuinely well written and expressive. I love the dog’s perspective.