Bella | Teen Ink

Bella

By Abby Klitgard BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Abby Klitgard BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

We live, we breathe, and we die. That’s how I view my life. I suppose we all do have one purpose in life. I haven’t figured out mine yet. I am 18, and I live with my mom in Summit, Colorado. Don’t ask where my father is, I don’t know myself. I get good grades; I work as a full time nanny on the weekends for the kids down the street. During the week, I waitress at The Lodge. Money is always a huge problem.
I have applied to Colorado State, which starts in the fall. I am anxiously waiting to see if I got in. It’s finally Friday night, I have just got done waitressing, and I am pulling into the driveway of the Bendals. Every Friday, I go spend the night at the Bendals while Tracy and Ben’s parents go away to work for the weekend. Like clockwork, I get to their house and the kids are already in bed. The children’s parents, Lucy and John, are frantically running around the house looking for their entire luggage.
“Hi Bella, go ahead and put your things in our room and we’ll be gone in just a minute,” said Lucy.
I put all my things in their usual spot and I head out to the kitchen to get the directions for this weekend from Lucy and John. They’re standing around the counter writing a list of all they want the children to do this weekend. It’s pretty much the same thing whether it’s clean the house, or pick up the outside toys. I get to the counter and their dog, little brown and white Brittney Spaniel, Patches, comes running to greet me.

“Okay Bella, this weekend I want Tracy to clean her room, it’s an absolute mess. I also want you to teach Ben how to clean his room. He’s old enough now. Also, Tracy is not allowed to go on the computer; she and Ben have been fighting. They need to learn to share too. If they start fighting about sharing I want you to take the toy away and tell them that if they don’t share, neither of them will be getting the toy. Well, that’s about it. Any questions?” said Lucy.

“Nope, I will call you if I have any though. Have a good weekend.”

“Do we ever?” replied John with a slight chuckle. “The president wants us to completely redo the files we worked on month.”

“Goodbye Bella, if you have any questions just call,” said Lucy.
I watched them drive away and went and sat on the couch to watch TV. Like always Patches came running to the couch, jumps up, and snuggles right next to me. I am watching TV, and all of a sudden Patches jumps off the couch and runs to the door and starts barking hysterically. I assumed he has to go out, so I jumped off the couch and ran to do the door. I really don’t need him waking up the kids. I put him on the leash and open the door. As I am doing this, I notice a black car sitting across the street. It’s too dark to see, but I am pretty sure there is a man sitting in the driver’s seat. I pull Patches back in really fast, pretty sure that he did not have to go to the bathroom. I lock the door and I turn on all the outside lights and the upstairs lights.
I quickly go check on the kids in their rooms. Tracy, sound asleep in her soft pink room, with flowers on the walls. Ben sucking his thumb, in his Spiderman bed. They look so peaceful I said to myself. I quickly go look out the kitchen window and the car is still there. This has never happened before and I am not quite too sure what I should do.
All of a sudden the phone rings. I stand there in fear. Should I answer it or, leave it be. It keeps ringing. I walk slowly over to the phone I pick it up and in a whisper I say, “Hello?”
“Hey, Bella its Lucy, I just wanted to let you know that there is a man sitting outside of the house in a black car. His name is Dan. He’s our house bodyguard. I should have told you before we left, but we were in such a hurry. He might come to the door later and introduce himself. I’m sorry. It’s just that the president has us doing some really confidential things and its better safe than sorry.”
“Thanks for telling me. Patches started barking hysterically and I locked all the doors and turned on all the lights.”
“I am really sorry Bella.”
“Its fine now, good luck at work. See you on Sunday.”
I hung up the phone and walked to the kitchen and took one last look and peak through the curtain and out the window and a little shiver went up my spine. The car was still sitting there. This time I could see Dan sitting in the driver’s seat. I close the curtain and head to the bedroom and change into my pajamas and call for Patches to come. Once he’s entered, I shut the door half way, shut off the light and, crawl into bed for the night.
Oh boy, Saturday morning and the alarm clock has just gone off. This means its 6:30. Patches jumps off the bed and heads to the front door. I grab his leash and I open the door and the black car is still there. I see Dan look over at me and I give him a quick wave. Patches comes trotting back into the house. The kids are still sleeping, so I decide to start making breakfast.
Coffee and toast for me, eggs and bacon for the kids. Its 6:55, the kids should be waking up pretty soon. I’m setting the table and all of a sudden I hear someone screaming at the top of their lungs, “NOOOO!” It was Tracy.
I ran downstairs as fast as I could to Tracy’s room. I slammed open her door, out of breath I yell, “What’s wrong?”
“Ben was tickling me to get up!” whined Tracy.
I see Ben, crouched down in the corner laughing. Then suddenly, I hear the front door slam open and somebody running down the stairs. I grab Tracy off the bed and run to the corner where Ben is.
Suddenly, there is a tall, slick black hair, dark green eyes, early 20’s, very muscular man standing in the doorway with a gun in his hand.
“What is going on in here? I heard screaming all the way across the street,” he said.
“Ben was tickling me to wake up,” replied Tracy.

He puts his gun down, and back into his belt. He slowly walks towards me looking at me intently.

“Are you the nanny that comes every weekend?” he asked.

“Yeah, I’m Bella.”

“I’m Dan. I am the house bodyguard their parents requested for. Sorry to scare you like that, I was just doing my job, but it looks like everything is fine in here. If it’s okay with you, I would like to work from in the house from now on?”

“Um sure, that’s okay I guess. I’ll try not to have the kids bug you too much.”

“Oh, I’m sure they won’t be too much of a bother, right Ben?” he said looking at Ben.

“Yes sir,” he whispered.

“Good boy. So, Bella is it? Well I think you and me need to go over a couple of ground rules for this weekend. First, if you plan on leaving the house you must tell me. Second, I will be answering the door and phone from now on. Last, I will be sleeping on the couch. Please keep the dog with you at night. Any questions?”

“Nope sounds good.” I answered.

“Good, I’ll just go grab my things out of my car and you can carry on getting the kids ready.”
I watched as he walked out of the room, a little in shock of what just happened.
“Okay, enough excitement for one morning. Tracy, make your bed and get dressed. Ben, go make your bed and get dressed too. Then when you both are done come upstairs I have breakfast ready.”
I walked up the stairs to the kitchen and, through the window; I could see Dan at his car getting his things out of the trunk. I started thinking about, where does he normally live, does he have family, what’s it like to be a house bodyguard? I started thinking to myself that I have all day today and tomorrow to find out… and I will find out.

Just a normal story that i wrote, might add on to it

Caitlyn_ilovesoftball GOLD, Douds, Iowa

"Hello Cat-i-lynn Mill-ard-o," -friends
"Stop saying that!! My name ain't Cat-i-lynn Mill-ard-o!!" -Me
"Okay, fine, Hello Cat."-friends
(GRRRRR)
----Also----
"You a turtle on steroids!"-friends
"Hahaha, I know" -ME

So sorry! wrong abbie!

Caitlyn_ilovesoftball GOLD, Douds, Iowa

"Hello Cat-i-lynn Mill-ard-o," -friends
"Okay, fine, Hello Cat."-friends
(GRRRRR)
----Also----
"You a turtle on steroids!"-friends
"Hahaha, I know" -ME

Abbie!!! HI bestie! This was so touching! your way better then me! This was so awesome! =)!!! I can't believe you haven't shown me this at school! I'm gonna ask you about it so beware! I love it!

musiclover94 GOLD, Springboro, Ohio

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

I liked this story but advise you to watch your tense. You jump a little from present to past and back again. I do it all the time and its frustrating to go through and fix it all but it makes it so much easier to read. Other than that, it's a terrific plot and I can't wait to read more!

DEMON said...
The dialogue flowed smoothly in "Bella", and I found that it was modern, and held nothing of rarity. However, I did like the introducing line, "We live, we breathe, and we die." Interesting, and yet common. Judge..

"RAZED EXPECTATIONS"

Wisps of smoke danced into the wintry air from my lips, creating ornate designs that could never be replicated. I carefully tilted the corners of my lips into a smile that I meant to be wry. Of course, it's difficult to articulate emotions that I can't feel, but I find that irony is relatively simple to demonstrate. I inhaled the toxic vapors of the cigarette casually. Its sinister, black cancer couldn't cripple a seventeen-year-old boy with no lungs, let alone a heart.

I glanced in the direction of the horizon, and flinched. The sun was dying flamboyantly, casting its radiant colors across the sky. Its last waves of light caressed my cold, pale skin. I wanted to snarl rebelliously as I felt its warmth slide against me deviously.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

My muscles went rigid, and I had to focus madly on controlling my shaking hands. I would know that voice, that beautiful, disastrous voice, in the realms beyond that of Earth. I grated my teeth, reeling in the disturbing sensations that she unknowingly always aroused in me.

I cocked my body towards her arrogantly, and lifted my mouth into a crooked crescent moon. I felt my eyes flashing, but I worked vehemently to fixate an arctic, hard tone into the dark of my indigo irises.

“I find the sunset lifeless and meaningless, actually,” I countered flatly, and a beat too late.

She laughed merrily, and I struggled within myself as my mind and body became entranced by the beautiful movement of her laughter as the colors of the sun played about her.

“You amuse me, Darian. How can you have such a pessimistic view of the world? The sun will not be lifeless until it disappears beneath the horizon, and the night falls. It’ll rise tomorrow, though,” she said.

I dared not think of her name. I hated the way my soul-if I had a soul-thrilled when her voice lingered over my name. It reminded me of music. I had to close my mind defiantly as I thought of music. I wanted nothing that resembled passion.

“That’s an inane notion that foolish women entertain. You want poetry, and ridiculous vows of forever. You aren’t difficult to read. If you want that sunset to mean something, then you want unrequited love. It doesn’t work like that,” I growled unmercifully, angry at her for unleashing the flood of feelings upon me.

DEMON said...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS" continues...

Her lovely green eyes shifted into hard emeralds.

“What do you know about me, Dare? And what’s so wrong with having dreams? And why are you talking to me like that? I was simply commenting on the sunset.” She tossed her red curls, clearly miffed.

I lifted my chin, and blew smoke in her face. It was easier on me when she was angry. I don’t know why she bothered with me. Why she was brave enough to confront me. Why she didn’t follow the laws of the superficial high school we both attended. Why she didn’t stay away from me, like everyone else.

“You’ll die from that smoking, Darian.” She glared at me. We’d had this argument a lot. I lifted my eyebrows, and turned away from her, signaling that the conversation was over.

She didn’t obey, and I sighed.

“You know, Dare, you could let yourself feel. You could understand it.” Her voice was soft, a whisper in the darkening air. She was air. My air.

I reviled the potency of the emotions I could feel pulsing through me. I ran a hand through my black hair nervously, my body skidding with strange, unfamiliar energy. I didn’t want to answer her. Why didn’t she leave?

I made a fatal mistake when I looked at her. Every nerve inside of me screamed, as though my body and internal organs were recharging hurriedly in the rare moment of my awakening.

I think I felt my heart beat hesitantly.

My voice seemed like that of a stranger. It had a rich, deep tone to it. It had color.

“Understand what?”

Something in my expression changed the way she was looking at me. It may have mirrored the arrangement of my own features. She became vulnerable in that instant.

“Kiss me.” She whispered brokenly.

Surprise jolted keenly through me. God, I wished I was numb again. Everything felt electric-too intense and too vivid. Emotions scattered across my being, a mutinous invasion of the raging war against myself. I was defenseless and an easy prey to her request. I breathed jaggedly, and there was a husky vibe to it. Want. I recognized it more clearly as it bloomed vibrantly through me.

And she was waiting. For me.

I destroyed the walls I had so warily built as I leaned towards her. She lifted a creamy hand and laid it tenderly against my cheek, the expectation making her bold. I moaned, and closed my eyes. My own hands loosened, and reached for her face greedily

Something hot-burning-ignited against my skin. I wrenched myself away, dazed by the unpleasant sensation. Had a spark traveled through our bodies? That’s when I noticed the cigarette kindling like a faint ember beside my marred hand. It had burnt me. The throbbing pain brought a wave of consciousness through me. Reality. And I stared at her face, inches from mine, and something clicked inside of me. Gears that began humming smoothly, like a tuned clock. I pulled back, and tossed her hand away like it stung. I grimaced as the vitals within me slowly resumed their state of nothingness, and shook my head to clear it of its nonsensical ideas.

She watched the change take possession of me, and tears began to collect in her eyes.

I found that I could care less.

I grinned at her, and mocked, “I taste of cigarettes, Clara.”

She got up shockingly to her feet, and backed away as if understanding for the first time what I was. Tears stained her nondescript face.

I smiled, that careful replication of a smile, and said acidly, “Did I humor your silly fantasies well?”

Her face crumpled entirely, and she pivoted away and ran sobbing from my scathing ridicule.

The sun died, and all was dark.

Abby Klitgard BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Thanks. :)

montana PLATINUM, Parker, Colorado

cliche quotes I have are.....
I know, right? and..... Are you kidding me?

Oh yeah and I wish you a very Merry Christmas

montana PLATINUM, Parker, Colorado

cliche quotes I have are.....

Thanks. You made me smile and made my day. :D

Abby Klitgard BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Hey! I looked at your review and I really liked it. Good job! Hope you get your christmas wish :) Merry Christmas!

on Dec. 21 2009 at 10:43 am
montana PLATINUM, Parker, Colorado

cliche quotes I have are.....

Ooooo I love the suspense in this story please add on to it. btw can you read my review and rate it. I would appreciate it. I really want to get it published. That is what I want for Christmas.

Abby Klitgard BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Hey! I read your Chasing Butterflies story, and I really liked it! I hope you got an A! Good Job!

mmfdg623 GOLD said...
mmfdg623 GOLD, Lyndhurst, New Jersey

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
Louisa May Alcott

This story was really good. I'd really like to read more. It's very interesting. By the way, I'd appreciate it if you'd read my story called Chasing Butterflies.

...PensiveGurl... PLATINUM, Aurora, Colorado

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it- Neil Gaiman.
Who are you to be who you are?-Le'Na Pernell

Ditto! >.<

Hulud BRONZE said...
Hulud BRONZE, Austin, Texas
I'd be interested tin reading on.

Rachie_P. GOLD said...
on Dec. 17 2009 at 6:08 am
Rachie_P. GOLD, Virginia Beach, Virginia

don't spend your life hiding from the monsters under your bed> go out and enjoy life to the fullest

i love the story i think u should add more

Abby Klitgard BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Thanks! Should i continue the story?

Erinnnn said...
Erinnnn, None, Colorado

I pulled myself deep inside my soul and found there a gently gaping hole, a hole just the shape of you. Climb inside, my love. Curl up and sleep.

-Tenaya Jayne, Blue Aspen

Wow! you're such a good writer. that was remarkable.