Lemonade and Brownies! | Teen Ink

Lemonade and Brownies!

By AlexHeller DIAMOND, San Mateo, California
AlexHeller DIAMOND, San Mateo, California

Live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -Mary Anne Rabmacher

On the hottest day in June, while I sit in school waiting for the bell to ring, I tap my fingers on my desk and stare out of the window. The sun is beating down on my mind while all my math facts and knowledge in it sizzle like bacon on the grill. I run my fingers up and down my smooth, new, plastic desk. It feels as though my desk might melt. My mind strays from my body, and into a world of cool blue lakes and waterfalls spilling out of the earth. The mouth of a nearby cave looks cool and inviting, for it’s out of the sun and under five shady pine trees. I stroll inside and feel the cool and humid air pinch my lungs, but suddenly I awaken from my daydream to the sound of a “bbbrrriiinnnnggg!!” It’s the bell!! I pack up my binder, papers, pens and pencils, then I run out of the classroom and straight into my baby-sitter Becky.

She asks me what the rush is, and all I say is “lemonade and brownies!” Then she remembers, she remembers that she promised to take me out to the Lemonade and Brownies stand off 46th street, as she did everyday when it was over 101?. I drag my backpack on the ground and then launch it off the curb and into the trunk. Score! I made it, but that didn’t matter. What mattered was that I got to go out for lemonade and brownies! I jumped into the car and buckled my seatbelt. I slammed my fist down on the button that rolled down and a rush of cold air hit my face like a bug hits the windshield while on the freeway. I threw open the door and leaped out of the car with my $2.00 in hand. I run to the man behind the counter and shove my money into his face. He disappears behind his stand.
A few minutes later, he comes up with two piping hot brownies and a tall glass of ice-cold lemonade. I sit down on the grass under the shade of one of the Maple trees. I sit there just staring at my chocolaty brownies. I take a sip of my lemonade, and I enter a world of sweet and sour, light and dark, happy and sad. All of these combinations are so different, but that’s what makes it taste so good. Then I take a bite out of one of my brownies. First, it just tastes chocolaty, but then my tongue feels like it’s going to melt. The chocolate melts on my tongue, just like cotton candy.
Finally, my baby-sitter Becky sits down beside me just to see me licking my chocolate covered fingers and slurping up the last few drops of the lemonade. We get back into the car and drive home. Now all I am thinking about is my homework and tomorrow afternoon when I get to go out for…

Lemonade and Brownies!

Becky went off to College, so she doesn’t baby-sit me anymore, or take me out for lemonade and brownies, but my mom bakes brownies and I make lemonade, then I sell them in my dive-way for $0.50 each. Aaaahhh memories…

This piece was written in 6th grade on, as it said in my story, the hottest day in June. I hope you enjoy it!