The Fair | Teen Ink

The Fair

By katie123 PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland
katie123 PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland

I walk through the small iron gate to get to The Great Frederick Fair as I do this year only this time it is different. I am with my friends Alissa and Terra and this year we are old enough to go the fair without any parental supervision. So to us these are the gates of freedom. Immediately as I walk through the gate I am struck with a variety of scents. The sweet smell of cotton candy, the smell of German roasting nuts, and worst of all the smell of cows and donkeys. All of these smells are intensified by the stickling heat.

“Ticket please,” the man behind the table is. He is a funny looking man he is bald on the top of his head but he is trying to pull off the comb over and it isn’t working. He is wearing a yellow polo shirt that says The Great Frederick Fair on it tucked into kaki pants with a brown belt on. Clearly he has no girlfriend or wife but I can’t help but pity him because of it.

Since I entered my two photographs into the fair I got a free admission ticket to go to the fair everyday that it was open. Also, since I wasn’t yet thirteen I wouldn’t have to pay the $5.00 entry fee that Terra and Alissa would have to pay I would only have to pay $2.00.

“Here you go,” I said to the little bald man smiling brightly. Apparently to bright because he started blushing.

“Thank you, have a nice time,” he said punching a hole into the place marked Friday.

I turned around to face Terra and Alissa in the line to my left where the people who didn’t have tickets went. They were grumbling about the $5.00 set back. I laughed to myself and laughed to their faces when they finally got over to where I was.

“Ha ha you have to pay $5.00 and I don’t because I’m just amazing like that.” I said.

“You stink, it’s bad enough we have to pay it but now you’re rubbing it in our faces. Now I won’t be able to get a funnel cake.” Said Terra, she gets one funnel cake a year and now she didn’t have enough money to ride the rides and get a funnel cake while I was loaded with cash. I save up the whole year for the fair.

“Listen, I’ll get you a funnel cake,” I said being nicer then I usually was.

“Thanks, you know I look forward to this every year,” said Terra smiling.

I was still laughing at Alissa because she still had on her I’m mad face. Since I was laughing at her she turned and punched me in the arm. She is stronger then she looks and that was going to leave a nasty bruise in the morning.

“Ow that really hurt,” I complain.

“Yea, be glad it wasn’t your nose. That was the point anyway why would I punch you if I didn’t want it to hurt,” said Alissa with a smirk across her face that said that’s what you get for making fun of me. But when she saw that I was still rubbing my soon to be bruised forearm she felt bad. She put her arms around me and pulled me into a hug. She said in my ear, “you know I love you.”

Reluctantly I put my arms around her shoulders and hugged her back. I looked over her shoulder to see Terra laughing at us. I whispered in Alissa’s ear, “On the count of three we both tackle Terra okay?”

“Okay,” she whispered back. Over her shoulder Terra was still laughing hysterically.

“Ready, one-two-three, go.” The second I got the number three out of my mouth , Alissa and I dropped our arms and turned to face Terra. We ran towards her but more at her and tackled her into the grass. The three of us were sprawling on the ground laughing until we cried. We got off the ground and onto our feet still doubled over giggling. But that is just the way we are, a bunch of goofballs.

The End

This piece is about my friends and I just getting together and having a good time.

NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

Ha!   I loved the ending.  This felt so much more free and relaxed than other writings do.  You can really feel how happy the people are for being able to hang and laugh without a condescending parental eye floating around.  Your details were nice- simple, true, and to the point.  Like I said, the emotion was very good.  I could have gone for some more punctuation, but that's a minor detail.

Great job :)

Can you comment and rate my story, "Encounter"?