Memoirs of the High School Loner | Teen Ink

Memoirs of the High School Loner

By GraceHumphry BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
GraceHumphry BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Monsters. Haunting the human mind. This is why many of children ask their parents to check in the closet and scare the monsters out from under the bed. My mother laughed at my fear as a child of the space between the wall and my bed post, where I was convinced a river ran holding demons, nightmares and crocodiles that would crawl in through my ears closing off the light. Sitting in my stall in the girl’s bathroom eating my wonder bread sandwich is where I experience that these monster were real and that they takeover our minds as we grow older.

From the safety of my stall is where I hear the gossip. I knew that the “perfect” couple, Stacey and Adam, had broken up just three days before their first anniversary, before any of her clones. I knew that John was cheating on Ashley with her best friend Patricia, three months before Ashley herself knew. I knew that Bella planted the drugs in Kayleen’s backpack that got her sent to Juvy. Everyday teenage girls come into the privacy and safety of the girl’s room to do their evil bidding, never knowing they are reinforcing my decision to ignore my mother’s request’s to be more social and less afraid of others.

I see the two faces that everyone has, I sit in class and listen to what they say to the public then at lunch I learn the truth about how Jessica got a nine-month “leave of absence”. The world, filled to the brim with monsters, I just hope they do not drag me down the river with them and I can stay safe in my bed with nothing to fear and the light continuing to shine for me even though the world is so dark.

Mayim12 BRONZE said...
Mayim12 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
Good Job! I havent seen a teen ink story this well written in a while! :D

lily1411 BRONZE, Fargo, North Dakota

Absence sharpens love, presence strengthens it.

--Benjamin Franklin

I can't necessarily relate to any specifics, but I've heard plenty of gossip in my time and I loved that you brought that out into the open:) It's also a very clever way of putting it into writing. Keep going

Flockm said...
I really liked this story because it is easy to relate to as you said "A river ran holding demons,nightmares and crodilies" Also I liked how you said " evreyday teenagers girls came into hte privacy and saftey of the girl's bathroom" because I know your saying thats where they go for help and to gossip. Another thing i liked is how you said "i just hope they do not drag me down the river with them" because you don't want to get in trouble like them. I really enjoy this, it"s a very interesting piece.

We liked this story because we know people who could relate to it also the details are great and its like the truth!

Schubster said...
Great piece of work!~

jessi GOLD said...
jessi GOLD, Nunya, Florida

"When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty."

wow. thats really good! really liked it, and awesome word imagery. way to go! keep writing! : )