Hope | Teen Ink

Hope

August 9, 2009
By LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota
LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota
54 articles 2 photos 748 comments

Favorite Quote:
Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.


And icy chill ran down my spine as I saw him standing only about ten feet down the hall from me. I shot him a cold look and he smiled. He was enjoying my anger. This morning was not fun. It was terrible. I never thought eighth grade could be this bad. I pulled my eyes from his icy blue stare and walked over to Michelle. She knew I was upset. I don’t know how she does it, but she knew.
“Norene what’s wrong.” it wasn’t a question. She was obviously making me tell her.
“You don’t know what happened this morning?” I was starting to cry now.
“You know I’m always here late. Norene please don’t cry.” she said.
I really didn’t want to tell her that Joey had caught me talking about him and reminded everyone once again that I have a major crush on him. Only I didn’t like him anymore. I was over him and absolutely hated his guts. So why would he do this? Well he tried hitting on me after that and I slapped him.
He told everyone I kissed him.
Suddenly I blurted everything out and by the time I finished her eyes were as wide as golf balls.
“Norene I’m so sorry!” she hugged me until I couldn’t breathe.
I wiped the tears from my face and nodded. I told her I had to go and started walking to my locker.
I froze. Only to see Joey standing right in front of my locker. When I reached it he slid over and leaned against the locker next to mine.
“Hey.” he said. He had that stupid grin on his face.
I opened my locker without saying anything and he stepped closer.
I slammed my locker shut and whirled to face him. His blue eyes were piercing.
“Why?” I asked.
“What?” he looked confused.
“Why do you enjoy making me look like an idiot in front of everyone when I don’t like you anymore!” I yelled.
He flinched back.
“You don’t like me anymore?” he asked.
“No.” I started walking down the hall.
He grabbed my wrist and pulled me to face him again.
He looked sad.
“Why?”
I swallowed down the lump in my throat so I could speak.
“Because I lost hope in you. You never let me know if you liked me or not. I might still never know! But I don’t care. You were having so much fun with my pain that you forgot to tell me. I waited too long and now it’s over. I hate you now. ”
I pulled my wrist free and started to walk again.
I looked back and he was still standing there. Frozen in shock and confusion.
Before I turned my head I bumped into someone. Sending my books all over the floor.
“Oh I’m so sorry.” he mumbled.
“No problem.” I smiled at the familiar voice.
Then I looked up into those hopeful green eyes.


The author's comments:
awesome. that's all i can say about this.