Lost | Teen Ink

Lost

November 2, 2023
By clege01 BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
clege01 BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The approaching Fourth of July was a bittersweet reminder of the past, a time enveloped in warm, sticky air that seemed to carry with it a sense of longing and grief. It used to be my favorite holiday, filled with joy and laughter as my husband and I hosted an annual backyard barbecue, complete with fireworks and cherished friends. However, this year, everything felt different. 

My husband was not here to share in our tradition. He had been taken too soon by a sudden heart attack, leaving me alone a widow. Without Frank by my side, our once vibrant life had fallen apart. The weight of our financial responsibilities felt overwhelming, with each passing month bringing new challenges. As the breadwinner, my husband's absence was a constant reminder of the immense void he had left behind. Though I tried to make do with what little savings we had, it was like putting a band-aid on a gaping wound. His modest pension barely covered our electricity bills.

On the evening of the Fourth, I found myself standing in the backyard, staring at the empty lawn in silence. The mouthwatering scent of grilling meat drifted through the neighborhood, only adding to the heaviness in my heart. The sound of children's laughter echoing in the streets only made the pain of my solitude feel sharper. Determined to put on a brave face, I turned away from the window and retreated to the kitchen to prepare a solitary dinner.

Just as I was settling in to dine alone, a sudden ring of the doorbell shattered my solemn mood. I dragged my feet to the door, wiping away stray tears, and was surprised to find our neighbor, Sarah, standing there with a warm smile. Her unexpected gesture of kindness lifted a weight off my shoulders.

"Hey there, Carol," she greeted me cheerfully. "I noticed you were alone tonight, so I brought over some of our barbecue.

You shouldn't be spending this holiday by yourself." I was moved.

Sarah's arrival brought a temporary comfort, and we shared a quiet meal, reminiscing about our favorite moments with him. But as the evening progressed, the loneliness that had become a constant companion crept back, gnawing at my heart. The sky outside darkened and the explosive sounds of fireworks filled the air. Each colorful burst served as a painful reminder of the joy that we used to share, and I found myself overwhelmed with emotions. Sarah noticed my distress and her expression turned to concern.

"Are you okay, Carol?" she asked.

I shook my head, tears streaming down my face, "I miss him so much, Sarah. I don't know how to go on without him."

She wrapped her arms around me, offering comfort and support. "I understand, Carol. It's not easy, but I want you to know that we're here for you. You're not alone in this."

I nodded, grateful for her kindness, but the pain and emptiness within me lingered. As the night wore on, I found myself lost in haunting thoughts. I spoke to Frank as if he were still by my side, and the walls of my home were a canvas for our cherished memories. Weeks blended into days, and yet my conversations with Frank persisted.

One evening, Sarah stopped by to check on me. She discovered me in the backyard, lighting sparklers and twirling in circles, filled with joy and calling out as if Frank was there spinning me around.

She softly placed a hand on my shoulder and advised, "Carol, you must take care of yourself. Frank wouldn't want to see you in this state." 

But I was ensnared in my fantasy, unable to differentiate between what was real and the alternate world I had constructed in my mind. Sarah, worried for my well being, contacted a doctor who diagnosed me with grief-induced psychosis. The bills from my medical treatment only added to the growing financial burden, and despite Sarah and a few other friends' efforts to assist, the situation was becoming overwhelming. As the months passed, my mental state deteriorated further. The house became littered with unpaid bills, and I lost all sense of time. My friends grew increasingly uneasy, but I was unable to recognize their faces. I was trying to live how we were, where my husband was here, where the Fourth of July celebrations never ceased, and where responsibility for bills was a distant concern.

Ultimately, being a widow didn't just mean facing unpaid bills. It meant losing a piece of myself, my sanity, and the love that used to overflow in my heart.


The author's comments:

Hi my name Is Cloven Lege, I made this work of fiction for my creative writing class.