The Fading Sunset | Teen Ink

The Fading Sunset

September 9, 2023
By booklover0725 GOLD, Bethesda, Maryland
booklover0725 GOLD, Bethesda, Maryland
18 articles 1 photo 0 comments

As the sun began its descent below the Manhattan skyline, casting a warm glow upon the towering skyscrapers, a couple stood on their apartment balcony, neither of them looking at the other. Beneath them, the city was bustling with crowds of people, the sound of honking cars and rumbling construction drowned out by their raised voices.

Rachel gazed at the dimming light, her shoulders tense. Usually, she would find solace in the beauty of the sunset, the reminder that each day was a new beginning, a chance to start over. Now, it felt like a fleeting moment of serenity amidst the storm that had raged through their relationship, trapping them in a never-ending cycle of hurt and resentment. 

Beside her, Mark let out a sigh. The ever-present hum of the city filled the silence, the air heavy with pent-up frustration and unspoken regrets. 

Earlier, they had tried to talk about it, to come to an agreement about their future plans. Their one-bedroom apartment had never seemed smaller as Rachel paced back and forth across the creaking floorboards, trying and failing to keep her voice even. 

“I just don’t see why you’re so opposed to moving,” she had argued, jaw clenched.

“We have a life here, Rachel!” Mark retorted, eyes blazing with defiance. “We have friends and family and jobs! We can’t just throw everything away, leave everything behind so that you can chase some fleeting idea of success.”

“I can’t live like this, Mark, don't you understand that? I need a change, and this job would be the perfect opportunity, give us a chance to get away.” She gestured at the whitewash flaking off the walls, the worn-out furniture, the broken lamp on the ceiling that they had never gotten around to fixing. “Don’t you want more than this?”

“I’m sorry if I can’t give you a big house with a white picket fence and a backyard and everything else in the pretty picture you have painted in your head,” Mark spit out. “I’m sorry if we don’t live a life of luxury because all these years of work and sacrifice still don’t make up for the price of rent, but that’s reality, Rachel.”

They hurled insults like weapons, each bitter remark cutting deeper and opening fresh wounds.

“I need this, Mark, and if you can’t understand that, then maybe you don’t know me as well as I thought you did.”

“What about what I need? What about the life we built together?” Mark asked. “You’re being selfish, Rachel. You never think about how your decisions impact both of us!”

Rachel’s face flushed with anger, blinking back the tears in her eyes. “Well, you’re being stubborn and unreasonable. Maybe I deserve someone who would support my dreams instead of pushing me away.”

Mark flinched, his breathing fast and heavy. “Is that really how you feel? That I don’t support you?”

The sun cast long shadows over the room as they fell into silence.

Rachel shook her head, heart heavy with regret. “I didn’t want it to be like this.”

“I know,” Mark said, shoulders slumping in defeat.

The last glimmers of light shone on their faces as the stars emerged in the sky.

For a fleeting moment, Rachel allowed herself to believe that they could overcome this, that the shadows would recede and that things could be like before, that it wasn’t hopeless. The moment passed, and she let out a long breath.

Mark glanced at Rachel, who had a distant expression on her face. The night breeze gently rustled her hair, and he thought that leaning across the railing, tears glistening in her eyes, she had never looked more beautiful. He couldn’t bear the thought of losing her, didn’t know how he could ever let her go. 

They watched the sun sink below the horizon, golden hues fading into the nightfall and enveloping the balcony in darkness. Two silhouettes cast shadows against the dimly lit backdrop, an unmistakable gap separating them.