The Phoenix | Teen Ink

The Phoenix

June 14, 2023
By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
108 articles 9 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?


Isilda grumbled as she plopped down on her bed, clutching her owl. Her parents had just fought, again. Over something stupid, too. But the whole thing had resulted in one of her favorite plates shattering.

Isilda had learned to love the little things in life, never caring about expensive gifts or toys. Her favorite toy, which had also turned into her therapy toy, happened to be an owl that she won from a claw machine for 50 cents. Eva, as she called it, was a round cream colored owl, with black eyes and a small beak. Isilda never went anywhere without the owl, no matter what.

She’d learned over the years that her own mental illness was getting worse, due to her parents’ constant fighting and her own abandonment. She lived there, yes, but didn’t really live there. Her mind constantly wandered off, taking her away to make-believe realms where she and Eva were the main characters, saving princes and princesses alike.

Her parents never approved of it whenever they heard or saw her scripting out her scenes. She was 16 after all. She should act more mature.

‘More mature’ apparently meant joining a sports team or a club, something that Isilda had never truly wanted for herself. She just wanted to be left alone to tell her stories to the stuffed animals in her room.

“And Princess Isilda was locked away in the dungeon, with nothing more than a small wooden spoon. Her footsteps tapped against the cold stones of the floor, and her shadow flickered across the wall due to the flame of a small candle. ‘How will I ever escape this horrid place?’ Princess Isilda asked herself, looking around the confinements of her torture chamber.” She hopped off her bed and grabbed Eva from the small bundle of blankets on her shelf. “And then she noticed her trusty companion, sitting behind the bars leading to the outside world. ‘Oh, help me, Evalyn!’ She cried, putting her hand to her forehead in anguish. The small tiara atop her head clattered to the ground, reflecting the candle’s flame.”

Isilda went over to her desk, grabbing a highlighter and pencil. She made a whoosh sound as she made a mark on the pencil with her highlighter.

“And the spoon caught fire, causing the princess to smile with glee. She did her best to slide the not burning part of the spoon to her friend.” Isilda put the pencil under Eva’s wing and held her up high. “She flew away, and-”

Isilda! You come out here this instant!” She heard her mother yell, and she placed Eva back on her shelf, covering her with a small blanket.

“You stay here, Eva. I’ll be right back. Don’t go anywhere, please. Not without me.” She said, kissing the plush atop its head before nervously walking into the living room, where her mother and father both sat.

“About time,” her father said, twirling his mustache as he put his cigar back in his mouth.

“Your teacher called us today, Isilda. Care to explain what happened?” Her mother asked, crossing one leg over the other and frowning deeper.

She remained silent, knowing that anything she said would be used against her.

“She said that you didn’t follow directions. She said that everyone had to write a report about an animal, and you didn't do the one you were assigned. Care to explain?” Her mother asked, growing more and more agitated the longer Isilda waited to speak.

“She said it was really good. . . . Doesn’t that count?” She asked quietly, trying desperately not to make eye contact.

“What counts is you following the rules! If you don’t do that, then you have no purpose staying here!” Her father boomed, causing Isilda’s hand to start trembling. “If you can’t follow the rules, then we’ll just have to make you follow the rules!”

She ran back to her room, taking Eva out from under the blankets and hugging her, her tears running into the soft fabric. “It’s fine now. You’re fine now. Everything’s fine now. I’m sure he won’t-”

The door slammed open as her father walked in. “I’m going to make you follow the rules, whether you like it or not.” He said, the malice in his voice causing Isilda’s heart to stop.

He’s actually going to do it. She thought, putting Eva behind her. She had to protect her at any cost.

He grabbed her arm forcefully, pulling her forward. He shoved her out the door and into the hallway, dragging her down to the basement.

She struggled and fought as he pulled, only causing him to tug harder. “Please! No! I don’t wanna go into the basement! Please! I’ll do anything!” She pleaded, tears streaming down her face.

Her father smiled, pushing her onto the floor as he walked away, coming back with Eva. “Anything? Alright then, let’s see how well Eva likes fire.”

He tossed the small plush into the fireplace, flames licking the fabric. Isilda rushed to grab it from the fireplace, but her father held her back, relishing the moment.

“All you ever do is tell stories with this dumb plush. It’s fabric, Isilda. Learn that and get over it.” He said, flinging her down to the ground as the last of the cotton caught flame.

Isilda ran onto the back porch, watching the smoke turn black. And up from the smoke rose a new Eva. One who had finally overcome her fears after years and years of being afraid. Up from the smoke rose a phoenix, ready to take on anything that the world threw at her.

“Fine.” She said to her parents as she walked back inside, fists clenched at her sides. “You taught me a lesson, alright. I’m moving out.” She declared, going into her room and putting several items into a backpack.

“And where are you going to go?” Her mother snorted. “Your fairytale world?”

Her parents both laughed. “Oh wait, we burned it!” They laughed again.

The phoenix has overcome her fears! She can do it! The new Eva lands on Princess Isilda’s shoulder as she speaks, making her feel braver. “No. I’m going to my brother’s place. He said I can come over if I want.”

“You’ll come right back after just five minutes of walking, I bet.” Her father said, trying to hold back a laugh.

The phoenix guides a nervous Princess Isilda out of her holding cell, the air growing less and less tense as she continues taking steps toward the small cottage, where the disowned Prince Aaron sits. 

“Isilda! What are you doing here?” Aaron asked as Isilda paused, running into her brother’s arms. “Where’s Eva?”

Isilda started crying again, hugging Aaron tighter.

He knew what her silence meant. “I’m so sorry, sis. Hey, tell you what? I’ll get Joey to make you a new one!”

The princess watched as Joseph, Aaron’s boyfriend, walked outside, holding a small pot of flowers. The flowers were magical, said to cure an aching heart just from the sight of them. Instantly, the princess started feeling better, watching as Eva flew down and sat on the railing behind Joseph, nodding its head.

“Alright,” she said quietly, a small smile starting to bloom.

“What have you gotten me into now, Airy?” Joseph asked as he put the pot down.

“Can you make a stuffed owl for my sister?” Aaron asked, patting Isilda on the head.

“No, wait!” Isilda said suddenly. Aaron raised an eyebrow. “I-I’m fine. Eva’s now a phoenix. She’s helping me now.” 

Aaron smiled sadly, hugging his sister again.

As the phoenix sat atop the small cottage, Princess Isilda realized that she would be fine on her own now. She’d escaped the dungeons, and now . . . she could conquer the world.


The author's comments:

This is based on a story about a person with severe autism, seeing the world as a story waiting to be told.