All Or Nothing | Teen Ink

All Or Nothing

It was another late winter night, Mike was eager to try to make his money back. The only thought that came to his head is to gamble again. His wife Ana was coming home from work after working her double shift to try to make ends meet. 

Mike knowingly lies and tells Ana “Have a goodnight sweetie but I'm off to work.” 

Ana replies “Goodnight honey.”

Mike starts his car and asks google for Casinos near me, telling himself “Ok, this is the last time.” 

Knowing he has said that hundreds of times.Ana heads to bed after tucking in and saying goodnight to their son Dylan. As Mike drives to the casino he sees a family laughing and walking.

“Boy what I'd do to have that enjoyment.” He thinks to himself.

At last he arrived at the casino, he walks up to the front desk and said 

“Can I please have 50 dollars in chips”

“Of course here you go” The worker replied

As he was walking around thinking what he should play he felt this guilt in his body,

He knew that lying to wife would make the situation worse. But it was too late he laid his eyes on the roulette table.

“If I bet on black it's a 50-50 chance of me winning.” He says to himself.

When he arrived at the table he was greeted by the dealer.

“50 chips on black” he says to the dealer.

The dealer starts the game and Mike is tapping his feet because of the stress.He watches the ball 

“ Boing, Boing, Boing.”

The ball stops and it lands on 0.

“What are the chances!” Mike screams

He starts his car up and heads back home. He makes it home and finds his wife Ana at the front door crying.

“What happened are you ok” Mike says shockingly

“You have been wasting all of our money gambling, your friend Josh at work says you have been telling him, and I just got the news.” Ana screams 

“Wait I could explain” Mike says

“Never come back in this house” Ana explains

Ana slammed the door on his face and Mike stares shocked at the door. Mike goes back to his car and drives to the nearest motel. He spends the night there while thinking about ending it.

It's the next morning and Mike heads to work. After Mike gets out of work he thinks to himself.

“I need to make my money back” Says Mike

So he heads to the casino once again and asks for 150 dollars in chips. He knows that games like blackjack or poker wont make his money back so he heads to the slot machine. 

“Go big or go home” He says 

He sits down and hopes for the best and spins away. He spins and spins but is at a loss of 95 dollars already.

“Come on I need something” He exclaims

He spins again and his eyes fill up with joy as he sees the words “MEGA JACKPOT” all in gold. He couldn't believe it after all this time his luck pays off, He runs in circles jumping up and down. Next, a man and a woman walk up to Mike cheering him on. They hand him a big check with the words 4.7 Million Dollars everyone gathers around clapping.

“Well done sir” The man holding the check says

He leaves the casino feeling on top of the world.Later that day he heads to the bank. He puts all of his money in the bank and thinks of what to do next.

He buys a new car, a new house, and everything he has ever wanted. Suddenly he gets a call, he sees that it's his ex-wife and picks up the phone.

“Hey i've been thinking about that day we got a divorce and I have been regretting it” Ana says

“What a coincidence that you call right when I do good.” Mike says

“Wait, I've been thinking about us.” Ana tries to explain

“I don’t want to hear it” Mike says

Mike hangs up the phone and proceeds to live his luxurious life.

5 YEARS LATER

Mike sits in his empty 2 million dollar mansion while workers go in and out of his house each time making the mansion emptier and emptier. He looks around not knowing what to do, he thinks of his life in the past 5 years with all the joy, pain, and happiness he felt. 

His Agent Matt, explains to him that he will have to sell all the cars, jewelry, and houses to just try to make up his debts Mike curls in like a ball.

“Ok let me just think,” Mike says, trying to revive his situation.

“What is there to think about you can’t bring this back Mike.” Matt explains

Mike agrees and sells all of his belongings. He takes the bus to the motel, the same motel that he was in before winning the jackpot.

“What if I go back to the casino and go on the same slot machine.” Mike says 

He feels that if he is in the same situation as before that it’s meant to be. He catches the next bus and heads to the casino. He enters and asks for 150 dollars in chips like last time. He heads to the same slot machine, he spins and spins away to the point that he is left with one more spin. He prepares himself for the best. He spins one more time and at last he loses. He heads back to the motel and knowing that if he never started we would have had a family, a job, and most importantly, he would have been happy. The feeling he hasn’t felt in years.

Something about this piece is how Mike acts when he wins the jackpot and how he feels years after he goes bankrupt.