My Grand Plan | Teen Ink

My Grand Plan

April 14, 2023
By Abbyhurt GOLD, Temperance, Michigan
Abbyhurt GOLD, Temperance, Michigan
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I knew, ever since I was 2, that I wanted to be an actress. Everyone says I was dramatic.
Everyone says that because I am blind, I have to be slower. No. That's NOT the case! I'm going
to be an actress! Whatever it takes, I--

"Annabeth, honey," Mom's voice cuts into my thoughts, "Help me cut the olives!" The sound of the fans cheering my name stops, and I'm just plain Annabeth again. I'm no longer Annabeth, the award-winning actress. Sadly, I go over to my Mom. Quickly, I engage in the comfortable and routine task of cutting olives for my parents.

My mind wanders, and the fans cheer again. The presenter of the award is right in front of me, and I'm up onstage, looking queenly, waving to my adoring fans! People are cheering my name! I can feel it! The fans... Oh, the fans! I can hear them cheering my name, and it gives me so much power!!! So much... so much...

"Annabeth!" I jump. It's Mom again, eager to tell me some good news. She grabs my hand and says, "Annabeth, we're going to California because your Grandpa has it on his bucket list! We're going to San Diego and Hollywood. We're also going to Universal Studios!"

Hollywood? Universal?????? Calm, Annabeth, calm! Annabeth, you want your fans to
see you in a positive light, right? Then, calm down. I quickly calm down, my breathing fast and
shallow. "I'll get my Big Break in Hollywood, right?"

Mom says gently, "No, they don't street scout people in Hollywood." My shoulders slumped. Well, at least I'm going to Universal. I pick up my diary and write to calm my nerves.

October 11

Dear Diary,
I can hear the fans right now! All of them, and yet, I can't get to them. I can't even start on my dream yet, and I'm 17! This is the worst thing ever! I have a plan, though! Whenever my aunt comes to visit this Christmas, she'll help me! She promised!!

"Annabeth, dinner," calls Mom's voice. I go to the kitchen, walking like an actress through a crowd of her most adoring fans! Then, I sit down at the kitchen table with my sister. I talk to her about everything that has happened: Mom saying that I can't get street scouted, her saying I can't audition... Tears roll down my face. This so the worst day ever!

A few days later, I'm in California. San Diego, to be exact. I am currently meeting my cousins that I haven't seen before. We do a lot of fun things in San Diego, but my mind is focused on being an actress. Executing my grand plan. My aunt comes to visit. She calls a friend and gets
me an agent and manager. She gets me a YouTube account along with all the other social
media. Audition, audition, audition. Practice crying on command. A few days later, we're in
Hollywood. We're walking the Walk of Fame, and I can hear the fans. I swear that I can hear the fans cheering my name, a star with my name on the Walk of Fame... Ahh. The fans!!!!!!

I can help people when I become famous!... My mind wanders off. I just listen to the sound of my adoring fans, saying, "Thank you, thank you" over and over again. Then, we go to Universal, which is amazing, and I hear the fans. I hear them still as I go on the tram tour, touring live movie sets and even going through actual filming. I imagine myself down there, being filmed as an actress--being filmed and noticed by everyone.

Then, a few days later, we're home, and I beg and beg my parents to give me acting and vocal lessons. They say they don't have enough money. I ask them to let me audition. Not enough money. My aunt comes out. I ask her to start the plan. She says to give her a few weeks.

I've given her months. Now, I've been taking the plan into my own hands: asking Jo, downloading an app for actors to get seen, which I have gotten seen by a few professionals but not enough. Now, when we get the inheritance that Grandpa left when he died, starting to audition, and getting an acting coach. And of course, asking my aunt to call her YouTube famous friend. I have a plan, and I will be remembered! I WILL be great!

Just you wait and see!