Ice Skating | Teen Ink

Ice Skating

April 27, 2022
By TrialKasai GOLD, Partlow, Virginia
TrialKasai GOLD, Partlow, Virginia
15 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm not special, I'm just limited edition.


The sun shone faintly through my window, casting a dim light over my room. The fan spun in slow, lazy circles, and music played softly on the radio. I lay on my bed, attempting with all my might to finish my math homework, but my eyelids were heavy and my brain was stuffier than an abandoned car in the middle of July. I put my notebook down and close my eyes, slowly being pulled into darkness.

“Luis!” Aiden barges into my room, making me jump. My arms and legs tangle in my blanket as I fall hard onto the floor. “Oh, were you sleeping? It’s like two in the afternoon, dude.”

I untangle myself and rub the side of my head. “You can’t just barge into people’s houses, you know. Knocking was a thing last time I checked.” Now mostly awake, I turn to him. “Who let you in, anyway? I haven’t heard a peep from my parents in like an hour.”

“I came in here really fast,” Aiden says as he walks to my closet, “so I didn’t really have a chance to see anything. But, I mean, your front door was unlocked so I thought I could come in. I don’t think your parents are home. I can go home if you want me to.”

“No, you don’t have to leave. But my parents aren’t here and the front door was unlocked?”

“Yeah, but don’t your parents leave you home alone all the time?”

“That’s not the issue. The issue is that they left the door open.” Aiden isn’t listening to me. He’s kneeling in front of my closet, searching the closet floor like a miner searching the soil for diamonds. “What are you doing?”

Aiden begins tossing my clothes from the closet floor, throwing them randomly throughout the room. I’ll force him to clean it up later. “Okay, so remember when I told you that my aunt was coming to visit? Well, it turns out she brought my cousin. Echo. Remember Echo? Anyway, they came, and they want to do ice-skating later today, and I thought—Oh, here they are!” Aiden takes something from my closet and holds it up proudly.

They're my ice skates, a couple of old teal things that somehow still fit me after three years. I take them from Aiden and hold them against the light of the window. “I haven’t ice-skated since last year,” I tell him. Honestly, I’m not worried. I’ve been ice-skating forever, and I’m pretty good at it, if I do say so myself.

“I’m sure you’re going to kick everyone’s butt like you do every year. So you’re in?”

“Yeah, I’m in. It’ll be good to see Echo again.”

Aiden smiles. He probably thought I was gonna choose to stay home. “Okay. I’ll stop by around seven or so, and we’ll all go together.” With that, Aiden turns around and walks out, making sure to lock the front door behind him.

*   *   *

A few hours later, I’m sitting on the step in front of my front door, waiting for Aiden. My skates hang from around my neck by the laces, and a thermos of hot chocolate sits beside me. Somewhere, off in the distance, the sounds of Christmas music plays.

I’m about to text Aiden for the thirtieth time when I finally see him walking down the street, two people behind him. As they get closer, I start to be able to make out the features of Tammy, Aiden’s aunt, and Echo. Aiden smiles as he spots me, raising his hand high above his head.

When they reach me, Aiden’s aunt Tammy squeezes my cheeks. “Luis! Look at you, you’re so big!” I blush and move away, but honestly, I like it. I don’t have any aunts or uncles of my own, but I’m not kidding when I say Tammy tries to be enough for the both of us. Not that I mind. She’s pretty awesome, and doesn’t mind that I hardly ever say a word around her.

There’s a loud squeal, and suddenly two arms wrap around my waist from behind. “Heeeeeeey! Long time no see!” Echo ruffles my hair, and a small smile escapes me. “Omg, woah. You’re smiling? Did Aiden actually teach you emotion? Or are you just reeeeeeeeally happy to see me?”

Aiden literally pulls her away from me, laughing. “Echo, stop teasing him. You just got here.”

“Making up for lost time,” Echo replies, flicking her hair. The last time I saw her, her hair was its natural color, dirty blonde. But now it’s dyed a deep blue. I wonder why she changed it. “Okay, let's go. I’ve been trying to figure out how to skate backwards, but I’m completely horrible at it and Aiden says you’re really good at that, Luis, so I need you to teach me, like pronto, kk?” I just slowly nod my head while I wonder how someone could talk so fast without getting tongue-tied or out of breath.

Tammy shoves all of us ahead. “Come on, kids. If we don’t get walking now the lake will be melted by the time we get there.” Tammy goes on ahead, not waiting for us to follow, knowing that we will.

*   *   *

The lake is a lot more crowded than I thought it would be.

“It’s not that crowded,” Aiden reminds me. “It only seems that way because the south side is too thin to skate on.” He points to the south side of the lake, where police tape broadcasting DANGER - THIN ICE blocked anyone from entering.

I nod, going back to watching Echo skate. I had just spent the past hour teaching her how to skate backwards, and I’m pretty proud of how fast she learned. Maybe I should become a skating instructor. Ha ha, yeah right.

“Where did Aunt Tammy go?” Aiden asks me.

“To get hot dogs, I think. Or whatever it is they sell here,” I answer. I get up from the bench I was sitting on. “I’m going to go skate myself now. You coming?”

“Of course, dude. Why wouldn’t . . . I . . .” Aiden looks past me, his eyes narrowing. “Oh, great.”
I turn around to see what’s Aiden looking at, and become face-to-face with Marilyn, her friends behind her like bodyguards. Richard, John, and Sheila. I take a step back.

Marilyn glares at me. “Ugh, if it isn’t Loony Luis. Why is it that every time I want to do something fun you’re always there to mess it up?”

I could say the same thing about you, Marilyn.

Marilyn’s eyes glide over me, a sneer on her face. “Wait, are you ice-skating? This has got to be hilarious. Maybe we should stay while, catch something to put under comedy on YouTube.”

Aiden steps up angrily, staring Marilyn right in the eye. “Now just hold it right there! Luis is the best ice-skater in the whole lake, Marilyn! Maybe if you didn’t live under a rock you’d know that!”

Marilyn scoffs, crossing her arms over her chest. “Oh, really?”

“Yes, really,” Aiden insists, putting a hand on my shoulder. “He could race any of you right now and beat you easily.”

“Is that so?” This time, it isn’t Marilyn. Her friends, who had been completely silent, now whisper among themselves. The tallest one, Richard, steps forward and looks right at me. “Then I challenge you to a race. Right here, right now.”

Richard, Marilyn, John, and Sheila watch me smugly, as if expecting me to hesitate or refuse. But my answer is immediate and confident.

“Let’s do it,” I say loudly, surprising everyone.

Sheila looks at me, shocked. “It speaks.”

Aiden pulls me away, whispering to me, “Are you sure you want to do this? I mean, I know I said all that stuff about you being the best, and you are a great skater, but—”

“You don’t think I can do it?” I interrupt.

“What? Of course I think you can do it.”

“Then let me.”

Aiden closes his eyes, sighing. Then he nods. I go over to Richard, who’s waiting for me. John and Sheila are telling people about the race, clearing a sort of track. Aiden walks to Echo and Tammy, who was buried underneath hot dogs and hot chocolate, waving at me.

I glance over at Richard. He grins. “May the best skater win.” I give a small nod as I watch John place a flag to indicate the finish line. The track is simple, a straight line. This will be an easy win.

Marilyn looks at us both. “Are you ready?” she asks. I nod. Richard gives her a thumbs-up, adjusting a pair of sunglasses on his face. Wait, why is he wearing sunglasses? “Alright, now get set. And ... GO!”

Richard and I burst from our positions, headed towards the flag. We stay pretty much side-to-side for a bit, but I slowly begin to go ahead of him. The air nips at my face and plays with my hair as I go faster, my states sliding gracefully over the ice. I already know I’m going to win this. There’s absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

Suddenly, there is a flash of light. I stumble, momentarily blinded, and slow down. My eyes adjust in time to see Richard pass me, but I don’t worry. I speed up and easily pass him again.

The finish line is close, barely fifty feet ahead of me. The wind whistles in my ears as I lean forward, going faster. I’m almost there. I’m going to win this.

But then there’s another flash of light. I stumble again, and this time fall, my breath knocked out of me. Aiden’s, Echo’s, and Tammy’s voices reach my ears, but it’s drowned out by the roar in my head as I watch Richard pass me, reaching the flag.

I lost.

Someone places their hand on my shoulder. I look up to see Aiden smiling down at me. But his smile didn’t quite reach his eyes. “It’s okay, dude. Better luck next time, right?”

I angrily push his hand away, picking myself up off the ground. Echo and Tammy rush to my side, and Tammy reaches out to touch my face. “Luis, are you okay? Your face is so red, are you feeling sick?”

“Leave me alone,” I mutter, pushing her hand away as well. When she protested, asking me what was wrong, I screamed at her. “Just leave me alone!” I turn around quickly and skate away as fast as I could, not caring about my friends coming after me, not caring about the people I pushed out of my way, not caring that Marilyn and her friends were laughing at me. I just closed my eyes and skated, not caring, because why should I care? Why should I?

I notice that I can’t hear Aiden, Echo, or Tammy anymore. Opening my eyes, I can see everyone on the lake, most still skating, but many are looking at me, nudging their friends and pointing.

Someone in the crowd yells, “Don’t move, kid!”

I finally see Aiden. He’s waving at me, a worried look on his face. “Luis, don’t move! We’re finding someone to come and get you!”

Someone to come and get me? Did I make such a big show that they’re coming to kick me out? But then why doesn’t Aiden just come to get me? Why is everyone staying on one side of the lake?

That’s when I notice the signs. DANGER - THIN ICE. I look down at my feet.

Oh God, I am an idiot. I’m standing in the middle of the south side of the lake, and the ice is starting to crack under my feet.

I try to skate towards the crowd, but the ice begins to crack faster. Someone in the crowd screams, yelling that I need to stay still, but I start to panic. I can’t hear anything over the roar in my ears. One of the workers for the lake goes past the police tape, to rescue me, I guess.

Crap, this is all because I’m a sore loser. I pride myself on being good at ice-skating, but when someone proves to be better than me, I lose it. I’m such an idiot. Stupid! Stupid ...

The worker reaches me, reaching out a hand for me to grab so he can pull me off of the cracking ice, but I can’t move. I just stare at his hand, my heartbeat hammering.

“Come on, kid, grab on,” the worker tells me, and I can tell he’s starting to get frustrated, but I can’t get myself to move. The worker curses under his breath and takes a step towards me. “Kid, let’s go. The ice isn’t going to hold on for—Woah!” Suddenly the ice breaks completely under both of our feet, and I realize I can move. I push the worker out of the way as the ice gives up under me. As I fall, I try to grab the ice still floating, but I only succeed in cutting my hands on the sharp parts.

The water pulls me under. It’s cold, so unbelievably cold that my body goes numb in seconds. I can see faces through the crack in the ice, going further away as I sink deeper into the water. Someone jumps, swimming towards me, but they’re too slow. Darkness dances at the edge of my vision, and I remember how tired I was. I close my eyes and allow the darkness to take over.

*   *   *
I’m warm.

My eyelids are heavy, and it takes enormous effort to open them. There’s a beeping sound nearby, and voices, but my vision is blurry so I can’t see anything. My whole body hurts, like someone had taken a hammer and smashed all the bones in my body. What happened?

Memories flood my brain, and I remember. Ice-skating. The race. Losing. Falling. I groan with embarrassment. Yep, I am a 100% complete idiot.

My vision begins to clear, and I can see Tammy talking to a doctor. I don’t think either of them noticed I’m awake yet. So I must be in the hospital. Where’s Aiden and Echo? I find them sitting on a couple of chairs on the other side of the room, looking at a newspaper. They haven’t noticed I’m up either.

As if he heard my thoughts, Aiden looks up. He smiles when he sees me, causing Echo to turn as well. They both get up and walk towards the bed I’m lying on, slowly, as if walking any faster will hurt me. Aiden takes a couple of chairs and places them next to the bed, sitting on one. Echo sits on the other.

“Hey, Luis,” Aiden says softly. It hurts to answer, but I do. Sort of.

“Aid. . .en.”

“Quiet,” Echo says, just as quiet as Aiden. “You’re not better yet. Don’t move or speak, or I’ll be forced to knock you back out.”

“Echo!” Aiden yells. I wince at the sound.

Tammy, who had heard Aiden, appeared at the side of the bed. Tammy places her hand on my forehead. “How are you feeling? Nod for good and shake your head for not good.” I give her a small head shake.

Echo holds up the newspaper. “Well, we have something that might make you feel better.” She holds the newspaper in front of my face, so I can see the photo and the headline. My eyes grow with shock.

Written across the top of the newspaper are the words: Race In Local Lake Ends In Horrible Accident. Underneath is a picture of Richard and me, skating side-by-side.

Echo pulls the newspaper back. “We found out Marilyn and her friends were cheating. John was hiding with the world’s crappiest camera, so he could make it flash while you were skating to mess you up. Those jerks!”

Aiden laughs. “And look! You made the headlines, Luis! I hope you’re proud of yourself, cause you know I am.”

“Aiden?” Tammy presses. Aiden sighs.

“Okay, but I am not — we are not, jeez Aunt Tammy — proud of the way you acted after you lost, even if Richard and the others did cheat.”

“Yeah,” Echo added. “We are very disappointed that you skated away and fell into the ice because you were angry at them because you totally deserved to win.”

Tammy sighs loudly. “Well, visiting hours are almost over. You’ve been sleeping for a while now, and it’s going to be a while before you can get up from bed. I hope the boredom will be punishment enough.” She crosses her arms, but her eyes are smiling. She yanks at Aiden’s and Echo’s arms, pulling them away. “Come on, you two. We’ll be back tomorrow.”

“Bye, Luis! See you tomorrow!” Echo called, waving.

“Feel better soon, dude,” Aiden said, giving me a thumbs up. Then all of them left the room, closing the door behind them.

I stare up at the ceiling, listening to the sounds of the beeping machine thing that makes sure I’m still alive. So Marilyn and her friends cheated, huh? Should’ve known. While I want to feel bad for the way I acted, or angry that I got cheated, I just feel pride.

Pride in myself, because no matter what anyone says, no matter how many races I do, no matter how much my opponents cheat, they can’t change the truth.

And the truth is, I am, and forever will be, the best skater on the whole lake.

With that being said, I close my eyes and go back to sleep, my skates swinging from the post of the bed, waiting for when I use them again. And I will use them again.

Just not tonight.


The author's comments:

This is a very, very, very old story I wrote staring a couple of my favorite OCs, Luis and Aiden. They are a little bit different now than they were when this story was written, so it was interesting when I found it and read it again. It's a story about pride, and also self-esteem, because Luis has very low self-esteem (although it might be hard to tell from this particular story) but is proud that he is a skillful ice-skater. However, if that pride goes away, it will be a huge blow to his already low self-esteem.

I wrote this at a time when my self-esteem was pretty low and I was trying to find something that I was good at. I think Luis was meant to represent that. Aiden was supposed to represent a strong sense of familiarity and something to lean on. Echo represents a positive outlook on life, Tammy represents stability and calmness, and Marilyn and her friends represent the obstacles that will need to be faced. At least, I hope that's how they were portrayed.

I am really proud of this story, and I hope other people see it as good too.