The Guilty Conundrum | Teen Ink

The Guilty Conundrum

January 20, 2022
By TannerH SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
TannerH SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The verdict was in… she was guilty. The courthouse erupts in frustration, “But how is that possible?” The evidence should’ve been more than enough to keep her innocent. I gaze at the prosecutor, he’s snickering at me. My failure of the murder case floods my mind like a dam breaking, how could I lose this case, I think to myself. I notice a small gesture shown by the prosecutor to the jury, a nod of the kind, he fixates his eyes on them in a professional manner. They notice his look and nod back as if saying, “we held up our end of the deal,” the look in their eyes was guilty. I’ve seen many guilty faces and eyes, guilty people can spout nonsense like there is no tomorrow but their eyes tell the truth. The fury rising was a volcano ready to explode. I try to calm myself by breathing but alas, I erupt, “I call for a retrial; I suspect bribery among the jury and the prosecutor” I scream. A once boisterous courthouse was now dead quiet, you could hear a pin needle drop, and I suddenly get my composure in line. The prosecutor’s expression changes, a snicker to a cold expression. The judge stares at me, completely shocked, “What is your basis for this accusation?” He appears to ridicule me, as if it is blasphemous for that to happen, well I suppose it is. I straighten myself up and tighten my tie as I stand up, “the exchange of looks and nods between the prosecutor and jury give the impression that something is going on behind the scenes,” he looks at the guilty-looking jury and must notice it too, “very well, a retrial is to be in session”. The prosecutor was outraged, I could tell that he was stressing internally, I could almost hear his accelerated heartbeat from ten meters away. Milayah, the defendant, stares at me with confusion and realizes the impact of the decision; she has another chance to be set free.


The author's comments:

I chose this Quick Write to continue and revise since it felt like my piece with the highest potential. We wrote this pretty early into the year when I wasn’t the greatest writer however I thought the plot I came up with was incredibly interesting and had the potential to be a great story. The stylistic devices I used in the piece didn’t feel forced and flowed nicely with the piece as I chose to pick the stylistic devices I felt most comfortable with and I had the best grasp on. The only regret I have is not being able to explain the future of the case; however, I think letting the reader decide what happens next can be very powerful. I am happy with how my revised piece came out and I enjoyed the creation of it as well.