Superhero | Teen Ink

Superhero

May 12, 2009
By Jenni Robinson BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Jenni Robinson BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sometimes I wish I could be a superhero. I would love to fly in with my cape and save people from the villains of this world. The crowd would cheer my name as I flew off in glory, gone as quickly as I had come. The one thing that all superheroes have in common is bravery, courage, and the ability to change things set into motion. Things set into motion by the evil villains who fight against them. Superheroes can change a person’s fate by simply flying in, scooping the person out of harm’s way, and flying away. It is the superhero’s duty to be the light at the end of the dark, the one shining star in the black of night. He holds the lives of people in his hands. He can save them from the unknown, control their fates. But then again, so can the villain.


The days that start off like any other day are the ones you will always remember. You wake up, not expecting anything unusual to happen. Then something happens that changes you, your life, and your sense of security. Those are the days to remember.


I woke up at 10:00 AM, showered, and ate a brunch consisting of a lean cuisine and some animal crackers with peanut butter on them, just like any other day. I looked at myself in the mirror wondering if I should wear the blue shirt or the green one, just like any other day. Because that’s what it was to me- an average day in the life of an average girl in her average house with her average friends. Nothing special, nothing too unique.


We went out for a drive that night. I wanted strawberry pop tarts and I didn’t want to go alone, so Ryan and Taelor came with me. It was a stormy night, but we were sure to drive carefully. I was just singing along to Taylor Swift on the radio when it hit us. The villain of my story, the big red jeep that held the fate of three people in its hands. More specifically, the drunk man behind the wheel. He has his own story. In his story, he is not a villain. He could be a perfectly good person who just had a rough day and drank a few beers too many. In somebody else’s story, he is the hero. But in mine, he’s the villain.


The ambulance came screeching down the road, splashing rain off the pavement and onto me. It got my nice blue shirt wet, and now that shirt will be ruined. Good thing I didn’t wear the green one because that one is new.


The paramedics lifted Ryan and Taelor into the first ambulance, which zoomed away, thus splashing more water onto my blue shirt. Oh well, I think it is probably too late for this shirt any way, considering it’s soaked in watery blood. That is definitely going to stain. I am lying on the pavement waiting for another ambulance to come. I know how it is on those doctor shows; they take the people with the highest chance of living to the hospital first.


Now I am lying in the cold as death moves in on me, and all I can think of is my nice blue shirt that is totally ruined. You know, dying isn’t so bad. I am numb now and it feels like maybe I will just go to sleep for a little while. Then maybe I can dream of wearing a shirt that is not ruined. Maybe I can dream of a superhero flying in and saving me from death’s cold hands. And unlike the people in the moves, I will track that sucker down after he saves me and thank him by giving him a new cape. Or something like that.

Sometimes I wish I could be a superhero. If I was a superhero, I could change the world. I could save girls in nice blue shirts and maybe even help the villain of her story- the drunk man behind the wheel of the big red jeep. He didn’t mean to do it; he didn’t mean to kill me. If I were a superhero, I would take away the problems that made him drink in the first place. Maybe, just maybe, if I go to heaven I could be a superhero.