Sunset | Teen Ink

Sunset

By justinnguyen14 BRONZE, Budd Lake, New Jersey
justinnguyen14 BRONZE, Budd Lake, New Jersey

Ryder stood at the bottom of the mountain and gazed up to the sky. As he watched the clouds graze the top of the mountain, he started to reminisce about how good life used to be. 

Ryder wanted to see his favorite sunset one last time. Foot after foot he started his journey to the top. Thoughts and old memories started to flow back into his mind like water flowing down the glaciers.

The cold evening breeze hit Ryder across the face, leaving his cheeks bright red. The smell of trees and fresh air tingled his nose, as he continued walking up the mountain. He looked back at the top, as the sky started to change. A bright orange started to blend in with the light blue sky.

Ryder stood and stared for a quick glance to see the sun start to fall behind the mountain. He started to walk even quicker so he wouldn’t miss the view. The air started to feel heavier forcing Ryder to take heavier breaths. 

Then the thoughts started to flow back in. Images started to appear left and right in Ryder's head, the stress and pressure he had to endure he just couldn’t bear it anymore.

Ryder’s eyes started to water up, he couldn’t tell if it either was the cold air or the thoughts that he would be leaving his family behind, parents without a son, a wife without a husband, and kids without a father.

He finally arrived at the top, after all the heavy panting, Ryder took one deep breath. The cold air filled Ryder’s lungs up, giving his body a quick chill. The hairs on his body started to stick out and goosebumps started to appear.

Ryder started walking to the edge, the wind rustling through the grass, working its way up to his clothes blowing it back against his body. He stared at the yellow sun sitting at the bottom of the orange sky, over the steady waves of the oceans.

The top of the mountain stands high over the edge of the ocean with the waves pushing up against the very bottom. Ryder stands at the very corner of the cliff past the guard railing. His final memories of his family flew through his mind, this time pictures of his wife and children at his parents house last christmas appeared. The sun finally went to sleep under the ocean’s horizon. The stars started to appear shining like diamonds sitting on a jewelry store shelf.

Ryder took his final last step at the very edge of the cliff. Little rocks start to fall off the cliff from the movement in the floor. As they fell breaking the surface of the water, little ripples started to appear.

With one foot over the cliff, he fully committed moving forward, pushing himself over the edge. His body started to fall. The beat of his heart started racing, and a turning feeling upsetting his stomach, till they finally went away. Ryder has accepted that his life was about to come to an end, just like the sun had gone away, only difference is that Ryder won’t come back the next morning.

Ryder’s body hit the water, breaking the ocean surface one last time, causing an even greater splash and ripple than the rocks that fell before. Then finally it all came to an end, the water turned calm. The waves continued again hitting against the bottom of the mountain and the cold breeze pushing through the grass.