Clueless | Teen Ink

Clueless

By athieneman BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
athieneman BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

I slowly picked my head up off the bed. “Ugh,” I was right, it was another normal day in New York City. As I wobbled out of bed I heard the sound of morning chatter coming from downstairs. My mother and I lived in a small two bedroom apartment just above a very busy French bakery. I turned to my mirror where I saw a blurry outline of myself. I quickly realized I was not wearing my glasses and spotted them on my nightstand. I picked up my glasses and put them on. I looked back in the mirror and gave myself a smile of approval. I quickly realized I was going to be late and rushed to throw my clothes on my body, and in the hurry I thought I almost heard a noise say “Wake up in the morning then I dab.”I quickly turned around to find no one around me, and being the clueless person I am merely ignored it and went about my rush out the door. As my mother drove me to school, the traffic seemed to be the worst it has been all year, so in cooperation my mom had to park about a block from my school to get me there on time. This made me a bit irate because I was already exhausted enough from the rush this morning. As my mother pulled up on the block I heard the noise again, but this time it said “Had to pull up on the block ‘cause today I get to whip.” Startled by this I turned to my mother with confusion and asked “What did you say?”, but she was just as confused as I was and replied “I did not say anything sweetie, you must still be waking up.”  I quickly ignored the noise once again because I was too focused on the journey to school ahead of me. Once I arrived at school I went straight to my first class where two students seemed to be having an altercation about the homework. I was able to get through my whole first class without a problem until math class. I was stressed already about this class because math was my worst subject, and I really needed to pay extra attention this class period. I was sitting in class doing a word problem when I started thinking about lunch. I could not wait for lunch today because they were going to be having my favorite food, chicken tenders, and I would get to see my best friend, Jenna. All of a sudden I heard a strange voice again, but this time it went “Had to hit the Quan ‘cause today is a good day.” This time I started to think that maybe I was not just imagining these voices because this was the third time it happened, and as I started to think deeper I got freaked out by all the possibilities. I  quickly shoke that thought away when the teacher called on me and I stood blank with no answer as everyone watched me with big, bug eyes. I was definitely having a bad day, but I figured it would terminate after lunch. During lunch, I explained my dilemma to Jenna, my best friend and a very intelligent girl, thinking she would have the answer, but she did not have a clue. She instead gave me two suggestions, I could ask our favorite science teacher, Mr. Dillian, for help, or I could wait and ask my mother. I obviously chose to ask Mr. Dillian because there was no way I would tell my mother. Therefore, after school Jenna and I went to see Mr. Dillian and began to explain to him what I was experiencing all day. He was intrigued by this, but was not able to help me sadly. I finally came to the conclusion that I should ask my mother, so as soon as she pulled up to school I explained to her what was going on. She then laughed and told me “Oh Avery, you accidentally left your airpod in your ear after watching Netflix last night, and the song must have been playing periodically throughout the day.” We then laughed all the way home about how clueless I really am.