It Lives On Through the Love | Teen Ink

It Lives On Through the Love

By camilleiscamiii GOLD, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
camilleiscamiii GOLD, Pittsfield, Massachusetts

"Always"

Have you ever had the feeling of losing something you love? Do you know how long it takes to get used to it?

Coming suddenly, when everything was cheering for the conquering of summer, it came into her heart, silently and softly, spreading its army to occupy her completely, staring and waiting for something to happen. The ensuing war seemed to be inevitable, started unconsciously by a coincidence. Impacted by the enemy, all of the systems struck at the same time, giving up the garrisons they had lived in. Inundated by these intruders, the energy in her body receded gradually, replaced by weakness. Eventually she was feeling sick; pains annihilated her as she became frailer each day.

Lying in the bed, an elderly voice was whistling beside her: I’m always with you, you just can’t see it. Another grievous voice, crying and shouting, disturbed that sound: how can I live without you? Love will tell you the truth. With a sigh, that old voice disappeared. Afterwards, the world, spinning and falling, overwhelmed by the dark, finally collapsed. When she slowly opened her eyes, her husband and children were sitting around her, anxious and worried. She was dumbfounded and confused by what had happened to her. There was a moment when she felt she was back to that worst era she’d ever had. Pain, despair and distress all mixed up, flooding into her mind. However, when she contacted those caring eyes from her family, she was placated. They were asking her, silently and cautiously, what had happened. Nevertheless, how can she tell them that secret that she had hoarded for several years and sworn that she would never think of again. She thought that she had totally forgotten it, but it seemed like that nightmare was flourishing in a corner of her heart, waiting for a chance to break through it. And that day finally came.

Suddenly, some soft and warm hands, holding and embracing her, conveyed a special power which seemed to tell her that she would be okay. These were her children who were her strongest supporters, making her invincible again. At this moment, the love between her and them formed a stream which washed all of the dust out of her world. Ultimately, the stream became brighter and brighter, defeating the dark; and the dawn of her world was coming.

She once had thought that she couldn’t live without her love accompanying her. So, when her grandpa decided to end his life without trying to treat his disease, her hate towards him even came through the grief of losing him. She used to think that he was a ruthless person who sacrificed his own life only to escape the loans for his treatments, without caring how long it might take for his only grandchild to accept the truth that her only relative was dead. Nonetheless, with the growing of her age, she finally realized that the principal thing for every parent or grandparent is that their children can survive in this world; just as her grandpa chose to end his life to give her a chance to survive from the debt-collectors and to keep her from being a nomad.

People who lose their lives would always live on through the love between them and people who still remember them.

Death mgiht be the most inevitable thing on this planet. As humans, each of us might experience it someday. But we could try to think about it in another way, which allows us to accept its existence, facing it with love and courage. That's what I've tried to convey through this piece.