Unlikely | Teen Ink

Unlikely

April 21, 2009
By HopelessRomantic GOLD, Fayetteville, Arkansas
HopelessRomantic GOLD, Fayetteville, Arkansas
18 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Chapter 9: What the…?
Daniel

My cell rings. I pick it up, recognizing the piano tune it is playing. It’s the only one on my phone and there’s only one person I would use it for. Abigail.

“Abigail, hey! What’s up? I can’t leave the house due to Mom’s orders.” I say cheerfully.

I hear her take a deep breath. “Abigail? What’s wrong?”

“Mark Carther tried to rape me in the park today.” Her voice breaks on the other end.

“What the…? Oh my God I am so going to kill him for this.”

“Don’t worry my dad did. Almost literally. He beat him with his umbrella and kicked him. God, Dad was pissed.”

“I can only imagine.”

“I hate that guy. Just because we splashed Carmen, his girlfriend, he decides to have it out with me.”

“I am going to still kill him for this.”

“You’ve said that already…” She giggles.

“Hey I have a question of great importance that I desire your opinion on.”

“Ask it.”

“Did you like my hair normal or the way it was today?”

A pause, then another giggle. “Mohawk is normal?”

“Yes, silly. Which do you think?”

“The way it was today. Much better.”

“Okay, thank you for participating in Daniel’s survey. I gotta go.”

“Bye.”

I pick up my Calculus book and attempt to make sense of the strange algorithms on the page. In the distance of noise outside my iPod blaring the Veronicas “Popular”, I hear my doorbell ring.

I begin setting up a problem when Mom comes and knocks on my door. “Daniel? There’s a girl here to see you.”

I leap up, scattering school supplies everywhere. “Abigail?!”

“No, no. Some…cheerleader.”

I run a hand through my hair and sigh. Crap. I run down my stairs and into the living room, where the cheerleader named Carmen is standing there.

I nod my head sideways, indicating to take it outside. We step onto the porch and I close the door slowly.

“Please, Carmen, take a seat.” I say stiffly.

Carmen sits on the edge of her chair, her eyes downcast. She bites her lip then bursts out, “I am so sorry for what happened in the park today. With Abigail. I didn’t send Mark after her. He went, thinking that he has to avenge everything everyone does to me. I can’t excuse his behavior because he has to, though it is my fault for telling him what happened. I just don’t want it to stand between us. Especially between Abigail.” She stops and breaks into tears.

I stand awkwardly, not knowing what to do. Finally, I say, “I think first you need to ask Abigail’s forgiveness, then for mine. Abigail has known you longer.”

Carmen looks up. “You’re right. Let’s go.” She stands up.

“Um…I’m on house arrest.” Seeing her startled look, I quickly add, “By my mom. I’m not allowed to leave the house.”

“Just go ask. Say it’s very important, that it could change the course of history.” She smiles.

I give a half-hearted smile in return and duck inside the house. Mom is sitting in the living room reading.

“Hey Mom,” I say, tracing a thread on the floor with my sneaker, “can I go to Abigail’s? It’s REALLY important.”

“Sure whatever…” Mom says in a dreamy voice.

“Great! Thanks, Mom,” I say and peck her cheek then run from the house and tap Carmen’s shoulder. “Let’s go.”


The author's comments:
This is chapter 9