An Idea | Teen Ink

An Idea

November 19, 2018
By Bajabassist BRONZE, No, Kentucky
Bajabassist BRONZE, No, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Music is my true love. Why? Because it's the only thing in my life that hasn't broken my heart, and never will." ~Julia Pierce


     As my vans slowly tapped the pavement below me, I pulled the cuffed sleeves of my gray sweatshirt over my hands, holding the ends loosely in my closed palms, the cuffs resting just over my knuckles. Despite my earbuds, I could hear the people in my second hour German class chattering loudly. It was nice out, about 70 degrees or so, and our teacher thought it would be good to go outside and get some fresh air. We walked around the parking lot, and through a small patch of trees. The sunlight gently cascaded through the dark green leaves, creating shadows that danced on the dirt. I had decided to stay in the back, in order to avoid being run over by the other crazy high schoolers. And they were just that; crazy. Carrying on and yelling as if they were deaf, the boys roughoused and talked about whatever boys talk about. While the cliquey girls talked and scrolled around on their phones, barely looking at the beautiful things around them.

     As I walked, I listened to the lead singer of State Champs sing ‘Leave You In The Dark’ through my earbuds, and took in my surroundings. The sun filtered through the trees calmly, casting a golden glow in between them. To my right, through the oak trees, was a small pond down a hill, whose water rippled and glinted from the morning sun. I smiled as a gentle breeze rustled my dark red bangs under my beanie and tickled my face. There was something about the wind that gave me hope for some reason. It reminded me of feeling free and weightless, almost as if I was flying.

     I’d always been different, even since childhood. Girls at school used to make fun of me because of it, and I still get weird looks sometimes. What’s considered “normal” is wearing bright colors, listening to pop music and talking all the time. I’m the exact opposite. I wear black, listen to rock, and I don’t speak unless I have to. People say I look sad or ticked off a lot, but really, I’m just lost in thought or zoning out.

     “Nice day,” a voice said behind me. It was my teacher, “Herr Jackson” as we called him. I smiled and pulled my left earbud out so I could hear him better.

     “It is,” I agreed.

     “You okay back here? Your posse is up there,” he inquired, motioning to the three girls leading the group, who were all talking over each other, as they always did.

     “Yeah. I’m just enjoying the quiet back here, sir,” I told him, starting to chew at my black lip ring out of habit.

     “Oh. That makes sense,” he paused, looking at the boys that were goofing off a few people in front of him.

     “Boys!” He called before glancing back at me. “I’m gonna go take care of them,” he said before jogging off and weaving through the hoard of students. I nodded with a half smile and put my earbuds back in, continuing to walk in silence.


The author's comments:

This little story was inspired by something that happened at school last year :p Enjoy!