Unbalanced | Teen Ink

Unbalanced

August 19, 2018
By Nicole-00 SILVER, Hicksville, Ohio
Nicole-00 SILVER, Hicksville, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I awoke in a cold sweat. Gross. Another shower it is. I grab my robe and head to the bathroom. When I get out I head to Alivia’s room. 

“Wakey, Wakey, sleepy head!” I say. 

Alivia’s eyes flutter open and smiles when she sees me. 

“Look who’s up! Want some breakfast?” I ask.

 She smiles and we head for the kitchen. Already up and sitting at the kitchen table is my mother. She has a disgusted look on her face. 

“I have been up for at least an hour. Sleeping in will kill you eventually you know?” She growls. 

“Good Morning to you too mother.” I ignore her and smile. 

My mother lives with me. Well, I live with my mother. When I was 18 I became pregnant. The deadbeat father ran as soon as he heard. There was no way I could afford living on my own with a child and pay for a babysitter. I was living in California with my then boyfriend until he left. I headed home to Ohio. My mother insisted I stay with her. She had just gotten severely hurt in a car crash a month before. She told me she needed me more than I needed her. So I stayed.Two years down the road and I’m still here. I grab the carton of eegs out and start cooking. Once they’re done, I cut them up and give the to Alivia. 

“Want some mom?” I raise my eyebrow. 

“No, I’ve already ate.” She replies. I put my dishes in the sink. 

“I need to head off to work. Alivia is fed already obviously.” I say.

“Yup.” My mother replies.

I go change and grab my keys. Before walking out the door I go up to Alivia. She’s sitting on the carpet.

“Be good okay? Grandma loves you, don’t be mean please.” I beg. 

I head out the door. Alivia has always hated my mother. I could never tell why. Ever since she was born even seeing my mother made her cry. She never interacts with her. I feel for my mother. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to have your granddaughter hate you. 

I head into the office. I can already tell today is going to be a long day. My boss is on the edge. I head to my desk and get settled. 

*2 hours later*

Police burst through the door. They head up to my boss. Everyone is puzzled. I see them talking to my boss but can’t understand what they’re saying. My boss points in my direction. What looks like the head officer looks up at me. He starts walking.

“Essie Latter?” He ask as he approaches me.

“Yes?” I replied confused.

“Stand up, You’re under arrest.” He sternly replies.

“Huh? For what!” I yell. Tears burn my eyes. 

“Child neglect.” He says as he clicks my handcuffs.  

I’m so confused. Where is mom. I keep telling the officer-My Mom has her, my mom has her. He just ignores me and pushes me forward. 

                                                           The Daily Biz

                                 Headline: Psycho Mother Under Chargers of Neglect

Today, Judge Taylor heard Essie Latter’s case. Essie Latter was single mother living alone with her child, Alivia who was only two years old. Essie was at work when a passerby noticed a screaming noise coming from her house. She peaked in the window and saw Alivia viciously crying. She called 911 right away. Essie has been repeatedly saying her mother was watching the baby. Insiders looked into it. Essie's mother, Amber, has been dead for almost three years. In January of 2016, Amber was in a severe car crash suffering many injuries. She died in the hospital. Essie’s lawyer has Essie pleading insanity. More details to come.