On Rome's Terms | Teen Ink

On Rome's Terms

April 26, 2016
By Anonymous


He dwelled in the cavernous expanse that was Rome’s basement. His face was worn, although he was barely over 20. He had seen things that he shouldn’t have. It plagued his dreams. They had put a sword through his wife. They had put a sword through his children. And why? Why did the emperor’s Praetorian's murder everyone in his bloodline. He could not have children. All he could harbor was hate. Hate of everything Rome stood for. That day he had been granted the opportunity of a lifetime. He was going to kill a Dux. It didn't matter his name, nor his morals. He had a chance to get back at Rome.
“Are you ready?” Marcius’ wife asked.
“Yes, but why am I doing this?” Marcius was adjusting the pin on his cloak. He was having second thoughts. How could he? He didn't have any choice. The Great Emperor himself had ordered him to kill this traitor.
“It’s your duty, Marcius” she explained. They both knew that he was past his prime years. He had retired from battle ages ago. He could just hope that his opposition was some cripple. He left his chambers in full Roman general regalia. The sun was bright and he was already getting hot inside all of his armor. The emperor had set up something of a parade as he and some of his former Legionnaires marched alongside him. They stilled looked up to him, even after all those years. He thought this would be an execution. It was, but at this point he was just hoping that he was the executioner.
He heard the clanking of the Legionaries armor before he realized he should grab his sword. He locked the door to his "home". His cave residence was forged from his bare hands, and could barely be called a residence. It was more of a hole, barely suitable for a rat. They walked in with authority and immediately took him and shoved him out of his hole. The sun was something of a rarity to the blacksmith. He didn't need the sun, nor did the sun need him. The air was hot as he was shoved down the street. The trip to the Colosseum was uneventful, besides what you would expect. He was covered in spit, rubble and anything people could throw at him without killing him. After all, that was General Vipsanius' job. The Colosseum was filled with high ranking government officials and the judgemental eyes of the un-informed Roman citizens.
"Who am I executing?" He was nervous. He hadn't fought in years and hand to hand combat was never his strength.
"Does it matter?" The emperor glared at him. He knew if he refused his whole family would be killed.
"Yes, can I at least know what he did?" He needed answers. He couldn't kill an innocent man. He remembered his days as a low ranking military man. He was beaten for not beating people. He was ridiculed for not showing brutality, not pillaging and razing villages to the ground.
"He murdered General Romanius' family, Marcius. It is your duty as a Roman to deal with this traitor." The emperor was getting impatient. The execution needed to get underway.
"My emperor, I will not kill an innocent man."
"You will if I say so." The emperor was getting aggravated. Any complications now could throw a wrench in his murder of the innocent blacksmith.
"Do you understand why I do this?" The emperor asked him.
"Do what?"
"Having you execute people for me"
"Why?"
"Because they do not deserve to live. These people aren't really people. This blacksmith for instance. It is not human, it is a barbarian that thirsts for blood."
"I see." The Emperor was very good with words. Marcius' now knew the false truth about the blacksmith.
"What is his physical build?" He was genuinely afraid he wouldn't be able to execute the Emperor's order on this so called barbarian.
"Marcius! He's a cripple! He is malnourished and nearly starving, like a barbarian should be!"
These words were of astounding relief to the General. If the blacksmith is a cripple this is just an execution and he is the executioner.
The blacksmith was waiting in the colosseum. He just had to remember what these monsters had done to his family. Now it was his turn to show the Emperor and his loyals that they do bleed, that they aren't immortal, and that they can be resisted. The sun was starting to set, casting a dark orange shadow across the dirt of the colosseum.
Then he heard the trumpets and saw the reflection of metallic Legionary armor. They ran into the colosseum. There were four Legionaries on each side, forming a sort of lane that this triumphant general walked through.
"I, Roman General Marcius Vipsanius declare upon you, barbarian, death. This cripple here has killed one of our Generals' family. He has defied everything the great Roman Empire stands for. Our mighty emperor has deemed this man a traitor and has been sentenced to death. And so it shall be. I hereby pronounce this barbarian scum, dead. There will be no fight, only the death of a traitor.”
The horn sounded. They charged. The dust kicked up into the air creating an oblique swirl of dust. With no sight, the crowd resorted to what they could here. There was the clash of swords for  several seconds. Then there was a thud. As the dust settled two figurines were visible one standing and one writhing on the ground. The figure of the sword was pointed at the body. The dust settled. Everyone rubbed their eyes, hoping to see the truth. They were already seeing the truth. The blacksmith stood over Marcius with his sword looming over the General.
“You are weak.” The blacksmith voice boomed and everyone could here.
“You’re not a cripple!”  He couldn't believe the events of the past minute.
“Ha! Who told you I was crippled?” His low laugh made the hairs on his arms stand up. Silence… the General was going to die.
“Are you going to kill me?” He was running through his memories with his family. He couldn't believe he was about to die. He then moved on to the fact that his family’s name will be forever stained with his death on this day.
“Do you have a family, General?”
“Yes.”
“Have any of them been killed by Roman troops?”
“Ha, you must be mad! Roman troops fight with honor! With dignity!”
“Not these one’s, General. These were the Emperor’s Praetorian guard’s”
“They would never kill innocent civilians!”
“Your ignorance is amusing, General, you see, you do not know all that happens in this “great” empire. You bow down to an emperor. Him, a God! Ha! You are less adept of thinker than I thought! You know what, “great general”, I will spare you. Run back to your God, kneel before him forever. The barbarian man ran through the colosseum gate and was never seen again...
"You! You, General Vipsanius. You failed to execute this man, and my orders."
"Emperor, he was no cripple, I was no match!"
"You Marcius, are a Roman general, and when you are give orders, you execute."
"Emperor, I was no match for him!"
"You don't give me excuses mortal! Praetorians, take him away."
He was dragged through the streets, being cursed and spit at. All he could do is hope his family was not tortured or mocked. His knees were bloody and his face burnt.
"You are now exiled from the gates of Rome. If you are seen inside these gates, you will be killed."
He was tossed through the gates and watched the gates closed behind him as he looked ahead to the vast plains where he now would call home.


The author's comments:

It was fun to write #LitAF