Hopeless Hopes | Teen Ink

Hopeless Hopes

By Sedgecomb BRONZE, Santa Barbara, California
Sedgecomb BRONZE, Santa Barbara, California

“Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.” -Virginia Woolf

“Mrs. James? What seems to be the matter? You are as gloomy tonight as an undertaker out of employment.” Mrs. James, a stout woman, in fact was quite gloomy, and in her wallowing, almost seemed to project this feeling out to everyone around her, and although most at the gathering were to polite to say anything, Mrs. Binkly certainly wasn’t. Mrs. James scoffed and raised her nose.
“Mrs. Binkly, I certainly hope you wouldn’t be comparing me to a figment of death.” Mrs. Binkly seemed to gulp almost comically at Mrs. James’ stern tone and quickly said a few words in apology but the most intelligent, including Mrs. James, could tell she meant none of it. At this, Mrs. James grew angrier and although she could say nothing about it for Mrs. Binkly was the hostess, her expression darkened slightly, turning her troubled expression into a face of full sorrow, causing another Lady at the table, the finely refined Mrs. Collins, to try another more soft approach.
“My dear Mrs. James, something seems to be troubling you today. Let you share with the group your pains and we might hope to soothe them.” As Mrs. Collin continued to speak assurances, Mrs. James’ face started to crumble like the strongest of walls.
“I don’t know if I may keep it up much longer Mrs. Collins, every day they are  gone I feel as if I am writhing around with an intensity inside of me that burns like a steady flame. I miss them both so dearly,” Mrs. James cried, her posture turning her from a proud lady to a weak girl.
“I know how hard it must be, and to take one of them from you is cruel, but both is simply barbarous.” Mrs. Silverman commented face wrenched as if she had just smelt something extremely unpleasing.
“Yes the war is a atrocious thing, but it is why we must have these meetings, to seek comfort in each other.” Mrs. West said haughtily, taking a sip of her tea with pinky raised.
  “To believe it has been three years today since I have last seen my boys, I don’t think my heart can take it.” Expressions softening from their facades of indifference, the ladies felt their hearts ache for Mrs. James, whose sons had been swallowed up by the war, a whole three years ago; being the first out of the group’s to be drafted.
“Indeed, much time has past, Mrs. James, and although I can not seem to see anyway to protect our children from the world when a simple war’s draft may as well puff them out like a guttering candle, we must have hope that they will return to us, and we must be patient enough to wait for them.” Mrs. Collins declared. Taking comfort in her friend’s words, strength like steel filled Mrs. James’ heart.
“Yes indubitably you are right, we must have hope that they will return. Perhaps my sons remain together, fighting every day by one another, as comrades.” Mrs. James said, breathing out as if a huge weight had bee lifted off of her chest.
“Perhaps all of our sons are together,” Mrs. Silverman said brightly, “we should certainly hope that they are, for then they might have each other as friends.” Hearts filled with hope around the table, and small smiles could be seen. However, the ladies content thoughts were soon disrupted by a small scoff that gathered their attention.
“Almost certainly they are together,” Mrs. Binkley said sharply, “whether they are alive is a completely different matter indeed.” The ladies drew back, eyes wide in shock, at her harsh words and bitter tone. Mrs. Binkly seemed unfazed by the unfriendly eyes, and continued on, the ladies horror only growing. “Believe me, if you see the war, truly see it of course, you would be certain of it as well.” With these words, the strange cold sense of aloofness that had been numbing Mrs. James senses suddenly gave way like snow melting in the spring and she abruptly felt a deep anger stir in her, desperately searching to get out.
“Your words are unappetizing Mrs. Binkly, and completely untrue. Is it your intention to dishearten us, to make such an awful situation worse?” Words snapping out like whiplash, Mrs. James finally exploded her composure and poise, nowhere in sight. Ms. Collins, ever the peacekeeper, tried to break the silence as deep as death that had fallen among the ladies.
“Now, Mrs. Binkly, Mrs. James, let us calm down. These words needn’t be exchanged so brutally.” Tearing her eyes away from Mrs. James, whom she had starring at deeply, Mrs. Binkly tilted her head slightly and smiled, unnerving everyone at the table.
“No Mrs. Collins, I am afraid you are wrong. If this war has taught me anything, it is that brutality, in some cases, can not be avoided. Mrs. James, why must you believe my words do not ring true? In the war, our country’s sons are dying at every leaf fall, I am almost certain you read the papers, you must know this, so why do you deny that ours are likely among them? I know I personally haven’t heard from mine in at least a year.” When Mrs. Binkly paused, no one seemed to be able to speak, all words catching in their throats, so she decided to continue. “Yes, it is true what I say is naked, cold and as fatal as a German’s blade, but it is the truth, and you would be wise to listen to it. You don’t need to fill yourselves with such hopeless hopes.”
Just then a large clock on the wall rang out five times, and as if Mrs. Binkly suddenly had the plague, they all leapt at the chance to leave her behind. They gave their half- hearted farewells and parted, and still shaking with shock, agreed that next time, they should most definitely, have the meeting at Mrs. West house.