New Horizon Mission To Pluto | Teen Ink

New Horizon Mission To Pluto

By Monica Rosales BRONZE, HILMAR, California
Monica Rosales BRONZE, HILMAR, California

Finalllyyyyy the moment we’ve all been waiting for has came, New Horizons will pass by Pluto after nine and a half years! That’s what they wanted, they had guested New Horizons would get there in nin year and they were close. This mission of New Horizons is so captivating from distance, the potential, and all the obstacles it has to go through in order to complete the task.Three billion miles away not million but billion! WOW i thought that was crazy when i found that out. Scared the mission will fail, how can something so little destroy something like the New Horizons. Crazy hu? A moon we didn’t know about hitting New Horizon and taking all the chances we had. Pluto. . . a planet to be know more.
Pluto spec was discovered in 1930 from Clyde Tombaugh. Five different moons Charon, Nix, Kerberos, Styx, and Hydron. The largest moon is Charon lack a substantial atmosphere. They say the smallest moons are Nix, and Hydron but they’re wrong. Why? because the smallest moons are Kerberos, and Styx, in fact they are way smaller than the two other small moons. It’s size was nearly estimated slightly, meaning that it’s density is slightly lower than we thought. Pluto's atmosphere is so shallow than we thought as well. The fractions of ice in it’s interior is way higher. Looking how wrong we were on some things makes me wonder what pluto has that we haven't found out or have gotten our answers right.  A little eight year old girl named Pluto but she didn't just put any name she wanted. She named this planet Pluto after a Roman god from the underworld. Pluto is a member of the Kuiper Belt a shadowy disk-like zone, beyond the orbit. Some people may support all the money we (United States) spent on it but other don’t think that as well. For example my teacher today said that she was at the 7 11 store while she was in the cashier paying for her newspapers the guy quoted “They should use the money they spend on that mission help the homeless.” I strongly think it was a good idea to use that money because our state was the first to hit Pluto and get a close up picture.
Scientist have found out so much about Pluto from its atmosphere, size, and it’s differences. They had so much involved from them building New Horizons and being able to put seven cameras on it. They built many more to come like Rex, Lorie, Alice, Swal, Pepssi, Ralf, and VBSCD. The one that got my attention more was Lorie because Lori was used to obtain long distance data, it has a telescopic camera, and high geologic information. Another one that also got my attention was Ralf because it has combined spectral infrared spectrometer (it tells what materials are on surface, the temperature is it, and how they were spreaded out). With New Horizons in space and being able to go by Pluto can help us humans in so many ways. By giving us a close up from the worlds beyond. It promises us to Tell us incredible stories we didn’t know about. Finally get orgins and outer skirts of our solar system.
New Horizon was set away in 2006. In 1980 the first two passed by Saturn named Voyager. 1977 the twin Voyagers went passed by Jupiter. After that it went passed Saturn in 1980, in 1962 Mariner2 went to Venus. 1986 it hit Uranus, and last but not least it hit Neptune in 1989. New Horizons accomplished its mission and luckily it was a successful mission to, in glad  no moon or rocky like thing hit it or it was be a mission fail. In the past people knew Pluto as a dwarf planet but other believed it was  a real planet. Scientist discovered in 2005, Pluto’s moon Hydria has only been known as a fuzzy dot of uncertain shape, size, and refecivily. Later on the want to send a boat to float around on methane seas and lakes of titan. The past and present  have said a lot but what to say about the future and what it’s holding from us. Finalllyyyyy the moment we’ve all been waiting for has came, New Horizons made it .