Who's the bomb? | Teen Ink

Who's the bomb?

May 26, 2015
By Anonymous

     I awake to a beautiful day and a missing fiancé.

“Sweetheart I made you some coffee!” someone hollers from outside my door.
That’s not my fiancé’s voice it’s a woman's. Who is it? Answering my question, my mother walks in. “Oh you look a mess you haven’t even gotten up yet!”
“Thanks how kind of you” I mutter. “What are you even doing here it’s 7 a.m.?”
“Did you forget? It’s your wedding day!”
A gasp escapes my mouth, this explains the missing fiancé.
“Get up and get in your robe your bridesmaids are waiting for you in the living room.”
     I walk into the living room and my three bridesmaids are all with my mother drinking mimosas.
“Why do you get to drink mimosas and I get stuck with coffee?” I say snottily.
“Because you don’t want to be drunk while walking down the aisle that looks like white trash.” remarks my mother. If you’re wondering, she is always this rude. I sip my coffee without saying a word and sit down in the makeup chair. She walks over to start curling my hair, but all I can do is wonder what my fiancé is doing right now…

     “No! This can’t be right I know I booked the church for this day” I scream.
“Sir I’m sorry but it is not on the calendar and we have a baptism today. “There is no way I can fit you in today,” Says the nun, raising her voice with each word. I’m in a raging daze and knock over some flowers on the way out to make a point. What am I going to do? My wedding is today and I didn’t even book the church, this will ruin her. All the money- gone. I could run away? But then I won’t get to be with my wife. At the same time, if I tell her I forgot to book the church she’ll be so mad she’ll dump me. I need something tragic, like a death in the family or a bombing. Wait, that’s not a bad idea…

     My hair is so stuff that if you touch it it could possibly cut you.
“What’s the name of the church again?’ asks Lucy, one of my bridesmaids.
“St. George’s Hall, it’s in Liverpool” I reply.
“I’m going to call and see if the caterer has arrived yet.”
I keep on talking about how much I love my fiancé and how i can’t believe this day has come, you know normal bride talk. Lucy comes back into the room and looks like she’s seen a dead body.
“Mrs. Williams, Allison, can I talk to you?” Lucy says, her upper lip trembling.
She needs to talk to my mom AND my maid of honor? Something is wrong, something is definitely wrong. I tell the others to stop talking and listen to the quiet whispers. I can only make out gasps and the words “church” and “threat”. I get up and barge in yelling “Does somebody want to tell me what’s going on?”

     “Mr. McArdle we need to ask you some questions.”
I am surrounded by policeman, SWAT vans and members scatter around the church.
“Yes of course what do you want to know?” I try to say calmly.”
“We understand that you were upset with one of the church’s priest earlier today, can we know why?” Says a policeman who isn’t even decent enough to take off his aviators.
“Oh I wouldn’t say upset, we just had a disagreement about the time of our wedding.”
“Hmmm.” He looks skeptical. Do they think I’m a suspect? They can’t possibly.. I called from a payphone there’s no trace I don’t see how..
“Sir where is your wife?”
“Soon to be wife, she is off getting ready with-”
“Neil! Neeeeil!” I turn to see Amy scampering over at me while shouting my name.
“Ahhh there she is my beautiful bride to be,” I kiss on the cheek trying not to act suspicious.
“Hello Ms. McArdle, I’m afraid i need to take your husband to the station” Says the policeman firmly. I glance over at her as a tear goes down her cheek.
“But-t-t, why? We are supposed to be getting married in that church today,” she tries to say calmly, seemingly failing but she doesn’t notice.
“We have no leads and Mr. McArdle was here earlier so we need him for more question. Unfortunately, it is standard procedure to take him in the back of a police car.” He pauses and turns to me and says, “Neil Mcardle you are under arrest for probable cause of the bomb threat upon St. George’s Hall in Liverpool. You have the right to remain silent, everything you say…” I tune him out. This can’t be happening, not on my wedding day.”

     “So let me get this straight,” says the Judge, “She was getting ready, expecting you were going to be man and wife at a very solemn public event in her life that you knew that was not going to take place.”
I nod, I had to confess there was no way out. He continues saying, “You did not say ‘We need to talk.’ You tried to weasel your way out by creating a bomb hoax so the wedding would not take place.”
I nod again.
“Because you gave a confession, I am only giving you 12 months in jail.” He says as he hits his gavel, making a loud noise and the jury dissipates. I look over at Amy, she is bawling her eyes out but tries to stop when she sees me staring. She gives me a weak smile and then turns on her heel to leave. Thankfully, Amy decided to stay with me after the incident and continue on with the wedding. It will be held after my jail sentence, and let’s just say I won’t forget to book the church this time.
 


The author's comments:

Based off of a true story.