Sodom | Teen Ink

Sodom

By The_DoctorDonna PLATINUM, Anytown, Iowa
The_DoctorDonna PLATINUM, Anytown, Iowa

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says 'I'm Possible'"

Dear John,
I’m sorry I have not written for so long, but I have a good excuse. You’re not going to believe me, but you have to!
Over the last month or so, things have been getting worse in Sodom. Then, last week, father came bursting in to my room and shouted to pack my bags. I had no idea what was going on, but I only had to look at his face to know this was not a joke. I threw my clothes into a sack and rushed downstairs. we left the kitchen and mother was crying. father turned to my younger sister and I, and said grimly, “once we have left the house, do NOT turn around. no matter what. God will get us through this, but you just have to trust me, ok? Don’t worry, we’re going to go see your uncle Abe for a while.” I nodded and we ran out of the house, mother’s tears flowing faster now. “ Lot, what about the blender? We can’t leave the blender behind!” but father kept running. mother kept complaining about things she had forgotten to pack, but she didn’t look back. I heard loud sounds like cannons echoing behind me. our shadows flashed in front of us, on and off. I wanted to know what was happening, but in order to respect my father’s wishes, I looked only straight ahead. We were almost to the top of the hill at the end of town, when mother screamed louder than i had ever heard anyone scream, “the vase! It’s worth so much money! we can’t leave the vase behind!”  she turned, and in a flash, my mother was no longer standing in front of me. Instead, there was an enormous pillar of salt, standing directly where my mother had been right before she had turned around. I kept running, but now the tears were flowing down my own cheeks. I knew I had to keep running. so I did, mourning my mother, while my legs carried me farther and farther away from her. When father finally said we could stop running, my legs collapsed, and I just cried and cried for a long time, until I couldn’t cry anymore. we rested wherever we were, and finally, today, after travelling for what seemed like ages, we saw uncle Abe’s house in the distance. I am writing this as soon as I can. luckily, mail travels faster from here to your place than when we lived in Sodom. Plus, the people here are really nice. Although I miss mother, I think we are where God wanted us to be in the first place. Father told me an interesting story last night, but I will wait until my next letter to tell you. For now, Father is calling me so I must go.
much love,
~EMILY

DEAR EMILY,
SERIOUSLY? A PILLAR OF SALT? I ALWAYS KNEW YOU HAD A GOOD IMAGINATION, BUT THIS IS A PRETTY CRAZY STORY. I DIDN’T BELIEVE IT, BUT THEN I TALKED TO DAD. I TOLD IT TO MY FATHER, BUT HE SAID HE BELIEVED YOU. “NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD.” HE TOLD ME. SO I GUESS FOR NOW I HAVE TO BELIEVE YOU. GLAD YOU GOT OUT OF SODOM OK, BECAUSE YOU’LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT WAS ON THE NEWS LAST NIGHT! I KNOW YOU DON’T HAVE TV AT YOUR UNCLE ABE’S HOUSE, SINCE HE THINKS IT TAKES AWAY FROM HIS TIME WITH GOD, SO I’LL JUST TELL YOU. LAST NIGHT, THE NEWS REPORTED THAT SODOM HAS BURNED TO THE GROUND, WITH NOBODY LEFT ALIVE. BUT THIS WAS NO ORDINARY FIRE. THE FIRE FELL FROM THE HEAVENS. IT MADE ME THINK, ‘GEEZ, WONDER WHAT SODOM DID TO PISS GOD OFF SO MUCH?’ BUT THEN I RE-READ SOME OF YOUR LETTERS FROM A FEW MONTHS AGO, AND THEN I STARTED TO BELIEVE YOUR STORY MORE AND MORE. EVERYTHING LINES UP. THE WICKEDNESS IN SODOM WAS GETTING TO BE TOO MUCH, SO GOD DECIDED TO END THE LIVES OF EVERYONE IN IT. I GUESS THAT MEANS YOU WERE PART OF A MIRACLE, EMILY. BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE WAS SUPPOSED TO DIE, GOD SPARED YOUR FAMILY. LOOKS LIKE GOD HAS SOME PRETTY BIG PLANS FOR YOU, EM.
WELL, GOT TO GO, TIME FOR DINNER.
BYE! -JOHN.

This is a piece I wrote a while back for a creative writing assignment. It is the biblical story of Lot's wife, but told from the POV of one of Lot's daughters in modern times (with a name I made up), and then comes a reply from her S.O, who is a character I invented. Also, the biblical story is in Genesis 19:1-29 if you want to look it up :)

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences