The Belief in Equality | Teen Ink

The Belief in Equality

February 3, 2014
By ILuvUnicorns BRONZE, Watsonville, California
ILuvUnicorns BRONZE, Watsonville, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Belief in Equality
Harvey Milk, born on May 22, 1930 is remembered up to this
day, for his dream of a better tomorrow. He believed in equality for and hope for the world. His hope for justice inspired millions, and let people know how strongly he believed in equal rights.




I, Harvey Milk, believe in equality for everyone of every race, color, and personality. Because I believed in this, I raised hope for millions, to show who they are without having to be ashamed. I was the first openly gay man to be elected in major office in the U.S, and had the support of people from all over the world. I am not bragging about my accomplishments, for this is not my victory-- it’s yours.



After unsuccessfully campaigning for the supervisor position in 1973 & 1975, I campaigned once again and was finally was elected to the San Francisco county board of supervisors, and many say that that event was a landmark event. To win the election I had to have the support of people from all parts of my district. Many people agreed with my belief equality for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender(LGBT) people. Others did not, and did not support any of my campaigns, because I was gay. I still had more supporters, and I won the campaign becoming the San Francisco supervisor. I proved to so many people that I am no different, and i can still accomplish anything regardless if I am gay.




Once gaining my spot on the board of supervisors, I began to create more awareness about equality for all. Of course I knew what I was getting myself into, like the millions who supported me, there were millions who disagreed with me. Hate mail began pouring into my office and everywhere I went I knew there was someone who was secretly insulting and hating me. Even though I knew I was highly exposed to discrimination through my position, I kept showing what I believed in; equality for all, including LGBT.I did not want LGBT people to be limited to what they can do for being different, they are as equally able to accomplish what anyone else can. And that was enough for me to want to risk myself and fight for.




once I was eight months in office, I achieved to get California what was then the most progressive law in the nation: the barring of discrimination based on peoples sexual orientation. So many people found inspiration in my actions and were not afraid to really express themselves anymore. But still not everyone agreed with my actions and thought it was fair and reasonable. I knew even then that I was putting myself in more danger of not only discrimination, but of violence and death. For this reason I recorded a tape saying; if a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door. I am fortunate I recorded that tape, for I am afraid that I would have never gotten the chance to make it after this moment…






EPILOGUE

Sadly after serving less than a year in his office, Harvey Milk was assassinated along with the mayor, by a former police officer who disagreed with milk’s ideas and beliefs. Years after the death of Harvey Milk, President Obama honored Milk with America’s highest civilian medal:the presidential medal of freedom. In 2008 a movie was also made to honor the accomplishments of Harvey Milk.