Jackie Robinson Monolouge | Teen Ink

Jackie Robinson Monolouge

By Mannyrodr BRONZE, Watsonville, California
Mannyrodr BRONZE, Watsonville, California

On April 15, 1947, the baseball color barrier was broken by 28 year old, Jackie Robinson, born the small town of Cairo, Georgia with no father and 5 older brothers., He was the first african american player to ever play major league baseball. in America Even though he had been treated very poorly because of his skin color, he fought on to receive several awards.

It was 1947, I had just struck out against our rivals, the New York Giants and their pitcher, Dave Koslo was leading the team, and my team, the Brooklyn dodgers, appeared to hate me even more. They spat at me and gave me multiple threats and slurs as I made my way to my separated spot in the dugout next to Pee Wee Reese, who helped me get through, he always told me to ignore them and keep going, he always stood by me an defended me every time anyone would tell me anything offensive. Nobody liked me too much, and the Giants hated me for not only my skin, but because of our rivalry. I still felt amazing though, I am the very first black man to play major league baseball, I never let threats from my team, other teams, and even the fans stop me from my dream. After the war, all I wanted to do is play pro baseball and it is my chance to play. After all of my hard work I know I have a wife and kids to come home to.

Even though we were winning by the 3rd inning they celebrated without me and when I tried to join they didn’t let me get near them, to this day I feel like it was that reason I worked hard to get better and my batting average is staying over .300, I wanted to show them all how good I can really be. I wanted to show them that I could be a great addition to the team.

We ended up losing the game 4-10 and of course, everybody blamed me even though I hit a Home Run later in the game. Blaming led to racist slurs, then in the locker room it was complete chaos, a small group of teammates yelled at me and hit me, shoved me, and ended up bruised and my eyes started to tear and I promised the manager, Branch Rickey, I would endure all the pain and criticism, especially I want to stay in the big leagues, and that is a promise I need to keep to keep my baseball dreams alive.
SIX MONTHS LATER

We have passed through the playoffs and we are in game 3 of the 1947 world series. We are down in the series 2-0 against the yankees. My team must have realized that I was helping the team with a batting average of .377 and they finally accepted me, I was still kind of left out, but they started to let me be part of the team. We had home field advantage and the crowd was going wild, they had warmed up to the idea of having the only african-american player in major league baseball. It was the encouragement from my team and the fans that led us to our victory over the Yankees, 8-9. Unfortunately, that was the only game we won, but I still managed to win Rookie of the Year, and my team was celebrating with me now.
We used our rage from our loss and continued to win 6 pennants and my batting average continued to stay over .300, many teams were trying to convince me to go to their teams, even the New York Giants, but i told them I was going to stick to my original team because they have grown on me.. In 1962, I had received a telegram saying that I was eligible to get in the Hall of Fame, my reaction was priceless, that’s what my wife,Rachel Robinson, said and my children Jackie Robinson Jr., David Robinson, and Sharon Robinson came in to the room, I read them the telegram and before I know it they hugged tackled me on to the couch and started saying how proud and happy they were. A few weeks later I received a new telegram saying I have been entered and how I would give a small speech there. When I arrived everybody was trying to get pictures. Even more when I started to receive my Hall of Fame plaque. Then Mr. Frick, a baseball official, signaled to me to begin his speech as he handed me the award:
“Thank you very much, Mr. Frick. First let me say how much of a thrill it is to be coming into the Hall of Fame with Bob Feller, Mr. McKechnie, and Mr. Roush. I want to also let you know that I feel quite inadequate here this afternoon, or this morning. But I think a lot of this has been eliminated, because today, it seems that everything is complete.
First of all, I want you to know that this honor that was brought upon me here could not have happened without the great work and the advice and guidance that I’ve had from three of the most wonderful people that I know. And if any of them weren’t here today, I know that this day could not be complete. But, they’re all here and I just hope you don’t mind if I just pay a word of thanks and a tribute to my advisor and a wonderful friend, a man who I consider a father, Mr. Branch Rickey.
And my mother, who taught me so much of the important things early in life. I appreciate no end, my mother Mrs. Robinson. And lastly, ladies and gentlemen, my wife, who has been such a wonderful inspiration to me. And the person who has guided and advised me throughout our entire marriage. I couldn’t have been here today without her help.
And then I...and I must thank the baseball writers…I never thought at all that I would have this wonderful honor coming to me so early in my lifetime. And to have the writers to elect me on the first time is a thrill that I shall never forget. We have been up in cloud nine since the election. I don’t ever think I’ll come down. But I want to thank all of the people throughout this country who were just so wonderful during those trying days. I appreciate it at no end and it’s the greatest honor any person could have and I only hope that I’ll be able to live up to this tremendously fine honor. It’s something that I think those of us who are fortunate again, must use in order to help others. Because it’s such a tremendous honor that we should be able to go out and do things to help. I’m just grateful and I’m sorry I’ve taken so long, but I just wanted you to know that I appreciate it so much. Thank you.”,
As I finished I walked down off the stage and came to my wife and kids, who were all smiling and excited, with my hall of Fame plaque and and gave them all a hug the crowd applauded and I was off. As we went to our car, many fans and journalist asking me for pictures and interviews, and I thought to myself how much they have changed their thoughts about me, I went from a spit bucket to a major league hero. Ever since then people have called me a informal civil rights leader, I don’t really like fancy names , but I am 42.

I wrote this because I wanted to learn about baseball back then and I knew what better way to learn than to act like you were there.