Success Comes at a Price | Teen Ink

Success Comes at a Price

June 11, 2013
By mzuck13 BRONZE, Scotch Plains, New Jersey
mzuck13 BRONZE, Scotch Plains, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“AHHH!” Charles Franklin screamed as he was ripped from his short night’s sleep in a bawling in a cold sweat. Charles grabbed his teddy bear—who’s name was George—and hugged it like he was trying to squeeze his guts out. Charles and George were inseparable. Ever since George was brand new. George was given to Charles as a gift from his dad who left him and his mom right after he was born. It was sent in the mail the year it came out for Charles’ birthday. His mom (who’s name was Margret Franklin) was tempted to burn it because she hated his father, but Charles loved it so much that Margret had to let him keep it. She couldn’t bring herself to take it away from him. Charles loved George so much because it was his only connection to his father, which is why he took George everywhere. He wanted his dad to experience his life with him since he want there to see Charles’ accomplishments with his own eyes. Alerted by the piercing screams, Charles’ mom darted into the room panic stricken. She saw Charles sitting there, gripping George like he was worth a million dollars. Charles’ mom commiserated with her son’s terror. Despite the fact that he was seventeen, his sickness limited his functioning to that of a five-year-old. His many trinkets were lying around his room, since he only shared a pittance of his time with “friends,” even though his condition wasn’t that severe. Margret often went on bashes because she was so embarrassed to have a child like Charles as a son, but she did a very good job of hiding it from him. As Margret muttered something to herself, Charles whimpered “What mommy?”

“Nothing, sweetie. I was talking to myself,” she glumly stated. Inside though, it was tormenting Margret to watch her seventeen-year-old son wake up crying and hugging his teddy bear. She had always worked vehemently with regards to Charles’ disorder, and lamented the fact that he had so few “friends” besides her. Charles was always cooped up in his room, detrimental to his potential friendships. He dawdled briefly with one toy than moved on to the next. All of the kids at school reacted immaturely towards Charles because they just perceived him as a retard, nothing more nothing less. Especially at such an age where they were about to move on to college and the real world, they couldn’t see the caring and smart personality behind Charles’ retarded body. How would he transcend this disease and be a coworker and peer? In Margret’s opinion, Charles was very beatific, and deserving of better treatment from the kids at school. Margret reconnoitered her son, and concluded that he would be perennially alone, even though that wasn’t what she wanted to think and hoped it wouldn’t stay true forever.

The next day, Charles had no school because it was Saturday. Margret heard that, two men, the Wright brothers, were going to attempt to fly! She didn’t want Charles to miss such a world-changing event. It was sure to be a boisterous and disparate event. Once they arrived, the area was already packed full of reporters voluptuously attempting to get the first glance at the brothers. With all these reporters, there seemed to be a lack of ordinary people. The only reason that the Franklins were able to get in was because of their family’s dynastic history and Margret’s macho appearance. Margret was very well known and respected throughout a lot of North Carolina because of her wealth and family history. She always received high extol wherever she went. The Wright brothers gathered all of the people around and made an announcement, “Today, you will witness Orville and Wilbur Wright attempt to take flight. We have constructed the pristinely built airplane that you see over there. We will take a running start and hopefully fly as far as the plane will take us. If everything goes well, this will be the most tenuous event in all of the world’s history. We will begin shortly.” They spoke very eloquently because they wanted to convey how significant this amazing achievement truly is. Human flight was imminent, Charles and Margret were girding themselves to witness the ingenuity of the Wright brothers, who were both virtuosos in aeronautics. Charles and Margret were invigorated like they had never been before in their motif lives. The brothers climbed into the plane and casted a quick glance at the crowd—who were savoring this everlasting moment—gesticulating the butterflies in their stomachs, then nodded at each other and smiled. They began their take off, and they finally rose up into the air. Charles and Margret tried to analyze and comprehend this airplane, but it left them totally flabbergasted. The reporters were snapping pictures like boneheads who just learned how to use a camera. The way that the Wright brothers took flight seemed indecipherable to Charles. He held George tightly, and then raised him so he could get a glimpse of it for himself. They seemed to be in the air for hours, although it was just a few minutes. It was almost unreal; to be watching people fly seemed like the biggest accomplishment in all of human history. It agitated Charles that he couldn’t figure out how they did it, but one thing he did know was that it must have taken a lot of volition to accomplish this feat. They had finally landed, and the brothers were bombarded with a group of reporters so large they barely had room to get off the plane. All of these people, including Margret, Charles, and George, had just seen a venial world-changing event that would most likely be immortalized by society. Charles stood there in awe, but was forced along by his mother who wanted to get a closer look at the brothers’ expressions. Margret forgot her camera, and Charles called her a ding-bat . They would just have to depend on the newspaper for a good picture. They left in their new Ford Model T—which Charles hoped would get handed down to him for college—before the many reporters so that they could get out before they got stuck in between the numerous cars and trucks. It had been a great day, Charles and Margret returned home and it was getting late so they decided to go to bed. Charles ran into his room to put George back in his spot on Charles’ bed, and than began getting ready to go to sleep. Charles put on his pajamas, and hopped in bed.

It was Sunday when Charles woke up, and he was nice and refreshed from a good night’s sleep. Margret decided that today was a good day to start compiling his résumé to send off to colleges, and Charles reluctantly complied. Charles attempted to procrastinate by acting in an unearthly manner, but to no avail. Margret brandished his second favorite toy—behind George—in front of Charles, and threatened to take it away. That got him going. Margret thought it was pathetic that the only way to motivate her seventeen-year-old son was to threaten him with toys. He immediately got started writing everything that was necessary to make him appear like a worthy college student. He finished quickly, and brought it to his mother for revisions.

She instantly berated him, “This is horrible! There is barely any information! Do you really think that any college will want a student who they know practically nothing about? Go do it again!”

“Well thanks for the support,” Charles caustically retorted. “This is completely goopy ,” he mumbled as he awkwardly schlepped himself back to his room. He began his new resume, as he was conspicuously unhappy. This time, Charles consulted George on multiple occasions, and it took him much longer to complete. He believed that with this resume, he would surely get into a good college. First though, it must be read and reviewed by his mother. After many minutes of consideration, Margret finally approved. She didn’t think it was the best it could be, but she let it pass as restitution for screaming at him before. Charles raucously marched back to his room and celebrated with George. Margret rewrote the exact same thing that Charles wrote on the first copy so that they could send it to multiple colleges. They were both separately beaming with joy. After a little while of relaxation, Charles and Margret discussed which colleges Charles wanted to apply to. Margret circumscribed the list to anything that she could get to quickly in case there was ever an emergency. She was very worried that something would go wrong with his stupid brain. What if he forgot to attempt to act normal? What if he couldn’t do things as well as the other boys? The list goes on and on. While they hovered over the list of colleges, Margret realized that it was getting late so she adjourned the colloquy until further notice. They both needed some rest and to comprehend what they were doing.

A few days later, on Wednesday, it was Charles’ birthday. He woke up later than normal to a special treat; he didn’t have to go to school! Margret thought that since it was his last birthday in high school there was no reason for him to waste it in school. She made him a special breakfast and than they sat down on the couch to talk.

“So sweetie, how do you feel? I can’t believe you’re eighteen-years-old! Oh god, I feel so old right now,” Margret inquired.

“I feel exactly the same. Just like I do every year mom,” Charles replied with a smile.

“Since this day marks the inauguration of the eighteenth year of your life, I thought I would get you a special present,” Margret walked to the closet it and pulled out a big rectangle covered in wrapping paper . She set it down on the coffee table and added, “Well go on, and open it.” And that is exactly what he did. Charles ethereally opened the package because he didn’t know what the wrapping paper contained. He finally got it open and saw that it was an extravagant painting…but not just any extravagant painting; it was a Pablo Picasso original! Charles was ecstatic. He saw that the date was from a few years earlier, and asked his mom how she could afford this with all of his college payments likely to pile up soon. She replied, “I bought this at an auction the year it came out, so I have made back more than I paid for it since then. I thought about just hanging it up the day I brought it home, but I decided to wrap it and wait until the time felt right, and no I believe that the time is right and you deserve it.”

“Thanks mom! You’re the best!” Charles exclaimed as he hugged his mom and expressed his adulation towards her. Margret said she also bought the masterpiece for less than it was appraised for, which relieved Charles a bit more. For the rest of the day, Charles either played with his toys or traipsed around the house with George out of boredom.

It has been about a week and a half since Charles sent out his six college applications. Today, they just received their first response, a no. Margret said it was okay though because this was one of the more prestigious schools that Charles applied to and was more likely to get accepted into a different school. After a quick no, Charles began to feel the butterflies in his stomach returning. He was very worried that none of the other schools would accept him, or even that some old, decrepit man would banish him from ever contacting that particular school again. Margret tried to reassure him that he had nothing to worry about, he was an intelligent young man and he would definitely appeal to the other colleges that they were still waiting on. If only he really did.

For the next week Charles received no after no after no from the rest of the five schools he applied to. This Friday though, the school was holding a banquet for all of the seniors and their families in the school. When they all got settled in, the principal stood on the stage in the front of the room. All of the students’ homage Dr. Johnson because he was good with the students, but could lay down the law when necessary. He spoke for a few minutes about how much of an honor it was for these kids to attend this school and that the end of high school was closer than it looked, and they should prepare for whatever they desire to do after school is out. There was only two weeks left in the year, and hopefully he would see them around. That really made Charles sad, because six colleges denied him and Dr. Johnson had just told everyone to prepare for the rest of their lives. Also, Margret wouldn’t let him bring George to the banquet for no reason. Although she didn’t tell Charles the reason, Margret didn’t want to look like the parent who raised an immature little eighteen-year-old baby. It was time to announce to awards for the students. The first award was the best ten students of the grade academically. Although they weren’t going to graduate for another two weeks, Dr. Johnson liked to reward the students with the best grades in a place where of all of their cronies could applaud and cheer for them. They announced the first nine, all of which many people expected to receive high honors, but the tenth person was a shock to everyone, including the recipient.

“Rounding out our top ten, Charles Franklin!” Dr. Johnson gouged out of his mouth to the confused audience. It took a little while for the crowd to start applauding and even longer for Charles to realize that they had just called his name. His disability made everyone assume he was completely stupid. He was forced back into reality when Margret patted him on the back and laughed, “Go on up sweetie.” No one saw it coming; Charles received a certificate and a heart-warming handshake from Dr. Johnson.

On the way home, Margret and Charles were exhilarated. Charles didn’t actually believe that he had just finished in the top of his class. It was so surreal Charles thought he was dreaming. Margret couldn’t believe it; she didn’t realize Charles was this smart. She always thought his mental condition made Charles dumber, and she definitely never thought this was possible. He was also able to concentrate more on his schoolwork because he didn’t hang out with any other kids. There has to be bad things for there to be good things, and Charles and Margret found out the bad thing in the car ride home. They were so happy, but then they figured out the real reason as to why Charles was rejected from all those colleges…it was because they thought he belonged in a mental hospital. They came to the conclusion that no one would want to deny a student who was in the top of their class, so the only other logical reason was because he was autistic. Margret and Charles were in immense contrition. That night, neither Charles nor Margret got a wink of sleep. They were astonished at their realization on the car ride home. Who would have thought that colleges would discriminate against a sweet, smart, and caring boy like Charles just because of a minor disability?

When Charles walked into the kitchen the next morning he found his mom asleep in a chair at the table, and decided not to wake her. She woke up a few minutes later anyway to the sound of Charles’ footsteps meandering around the kitchen. They talked for a while and decided not to apply to any more colleges. They wanted to avoid as much disappointment as possible. Charles decided he would search for a job. He would interview for mining, manufacturing, construction, and factory jobs because those are the jobs that would be easiest to get right out of high school. He received a few denials and many “maybes” and “we’ll think about it’s.” School has just ended, and graduating with high honors Charles now had more time to continue his hunt for a job. He was asked many times why he wanted to start work right away even though he received such good grades. His normal response was, “I believe I am ready to work.”

One day, he drove past a construction company on the street with a HELP WANTED sign in the window. He thought this was his best opportunity to get hired. Charles forced his mom to drive him back home so that he could put on some nicer clothes. Then they went back and Charles entered into the building while Margret sat outside in the car and waited. He asked to speak to the manager about the HELP WANTED sign in the window. He was promptly escorted to a large office where he waited for someone to meet him there. When the man entered he was wearing a sharp suit and introduced himself as Mr. Myers. They had a long chat about his personal life, school, and why he wanted to work there. Mr. Myers seemed very impressed, and Charles was immediately hired, despite his disability. Charles was told to return the next day ready to work. They shook hands and then Charles rushed out to share the exciting news with Margret. “Mom guess what! I got the job!” Charles wailed. They celebrated briefly in the car as they drove home. It was the best news either of them had heard since the school banquet. Charles’ eagerness and the fact that he was easily excited was definitely patrimony to his mother because she is the same way. They went home and went over every single miniscule detail of the interview. Margret was so proud of her son, for the first time he was going to be out on his own in the real world, and Margret knew he was going to be great.

The next day was his first day of work and Charles was extremely excited. He went down to the office of his new employer. He met Mr. Myers there for a brief meeting. They went over basic instructions on where and how to work on a construction site. Charles was then given the location of his first job site, and thankfully it was in walking distance. When he arrived, Charles was informed that they were constructing a two-story office building. It was set to be the headquarters of a clothing company. The current team had already made sufficient progress, but they needed an extra pair of hands to get the job done. Charles introduced himself, “Hi, I am Charles, this is my first day on the job and I can’t wait to get started.”

“You got butterflies in your stomach kid?” one of the veteran workers asked.

“A little bit,” Charles meekly replied.

“It’s a goopy job kid. We work too hard and don’t get paid enough,” the veteran complained. “My name is John by the way,” he added.

“Okay then, should we get started?” Charles asked trying to get off the subject. John and the rest of the crew knew there was something off about Charles, but they couldn’t place a finger on it. Charles was doing a decent job of working, but it was becoming harder and harder to keep up. His autistic body was starting to require a rest from this backbreaking labor. He tried his best though, and was continuing to impress himself. Finally, it was time for his lunch break. Charles went to his bag to retrieve George so that he could tell him about his first half a day of work while they ate together. It was atonement to him for all of the scratches and bruises he got in just a few hours. Everyone was giving him strange looks. An eighteen-year-old kid working in the construction business eating lunch with a teddy bear, something definitely seemed off. A few of the men also noticed that Charles was working a little bit slower than the rest of the crew. At first they thought it was just because he was the new guy, but now they think something is wrong with him.

When they returned to work, everything was the same as it was before lunch. All of a sudden, John noticed that there was a huge delay in the process. He left his post to go check up on Charles, and realized that he was nowhere to be seen. John looked down, and there he was laying face first in the pavement. John mumbled to himself, “I told the kid this was a goopy job.” John then informed the rest of the crew and one of them ran to the nearest hospital to get help. They then had someone contact his mother about the tragic news. She rushed over to the site to see for herself. It was heartbreaking; Margret didn’t even know how to react, than she broke down crying.

A few days later, there was an eerie sense throughout the house. Margret was alone, with no one to talk to and no one to listen to. She was pacing through Charles’ room, when she reached the closet Margret noticed something peculiar. She found a door in the back of Charles’ closet. When she opened it, she couldn’t believe what she had discovered. Apparently, Charles had a crypt in his room containing stacks of paper. They were all written on. After sifting through many of the papers, Margret realized that Charles had been drawing and writing about countless inventions that hadn’t even been invented yet. He planned on creating them when he got a little bit older. With this discovery, Margret realized that Charles was posthumously having a positive impact on the world. This put Margret at ease knowing that Charles’ legacy would never be forgotten.


The author's comments:
The theme from Before We Were Free that I incorporated in this writing piece is, success comes at a price. Anita and her family had to work for everything they earned, including killing Trujillo. Similarly, Charles had to earn everything he got because of his autism. Back in the early 1900s, autism wasn’t a disease yet, they were just considered to be retards so Charles had a real tough time getting what he wanted or needed. Anita also had to work abnormally hard to get what she wanted because she was Dominican and went to an American school. Even though the school was in the Dominican Republic, the American kids still made fun of the Dominicans because they couldn’t speak English that well. Each of them had to pay a large price to earn the success they desired so greatly.