How The Moon Cycle Came About | Teen Ink

How The Moon Cycle Came About

April 29, 2013
By heyhannah93 GOLD, Jackson, Tennessee
heyhannah93 GOLD, Jackson, Tennessee
10 articles 2 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Trust your heart if the seas catch fire. Live by love though the stars walk backward. -EE Cummings


In a town far away lived some very greedy people. They were not thankful for anything. They had great distaste for the moon, because it was very bright,
They cursed the moon, saying,
"Why, oh moon do you shed so much light during the night. We cannot sleep!"

The moon tried to protest,
But the people rejected his stammers.
The moon hung his head and shut his light from the world.
The stars said to the moon,
"We miss you, oh moon, for there is none to shed light. We aren't so bright."

The moon replied. "Just wait and see. They'll be thankful for me."
Nights passed and the people slept. The moon did not shine.
The planets said to the moon,
"We miss you, oh moon, for there is none to shed light. We aren't so bright."

The moon said again,
"Just wait and see. They'll be thankful for me."


The nights continued, and still the moon did not shine.
The comets blared in the night sky, and as they passed the dark moon they said,
"We miss you, oh moon, for there is none to shed light. We aren't so bright."

The moon replied,
"Just wait and see. They'll be thankful for me."

Now it came one evening that a neighboring land took advantage of the darkness, and attacked the greedy town.
The guards couldn't see anything from their posts, for it was so dark.
The neighboring army came like a thief in the night. They stole and lit fires.
They escaped with the greedy town's riches.
The people cried out to the moon,
"Oh moon, why have you brought this destruction upon us. If only you had shed your light, we would have seen them coming and defended our city!"
The moon shook his head and came out of the shadows.
"I did not lend you my light because you demanded me to let it be dark. The city is in ruins because you were not thankful for what you had."
The people went away and pondered this. They hung their heads and returned to the moon, ashamed.
"We are sorry, oh moon. We have been greedy and did not thank you for the light you gave us. We never stopped to give our thanks. Forgive us, oh moon! We promise to never be distasteful towards you again!"
The moon accepted the people's apology, but!- the moon cursed the people.
He said "Some nights there will be darkness. But other nights I will be full and there will be lots of light. I will come out when I want to. I will not listen to ungrateful demands."
But as years went on people forgot the moon and their promise.
The moon ceased speaking and let its light become very dull.
On the darkest nights, the moon is feeling forgotten and unwanted.
He followed through with his curse.
And that's how we got the cycle of the moon.


The author's comments:
We were working on Ancient Greek myths in my English class, and it inspired me to write my own myth.