London, 1914 | Teen Ink

London, 1914

By AmyFanRetaken GOLD, Temple City, California
AmyFanRetaken GOLD, Temple City, California

Keep calm and boba on.

The skies rumbled the heavy rush of the airships. The windows rattled as the furniture shook. It felt like everything in our tiny flat was going to collapse, yet that wasn't even the worst of our problems.

Sammy whimpered as she hugged me.

"Don't worry, Sammy," I whispered. "It's going to be fine. I promise."

But could I actually promise that? I squeezed my eyes closed and held her tight. Please, God, don't let them fall on us...

When would the enemies stop attacking us? It had begun during the evening in the south of London and now the airships were directly above us, hours later. Why did this war have to happen? Why couldn’t we get out earlier, like the others?

There was a faint whistle, one that I could barely hear, and then a massive explosion that nearly shook us both off the bed. The lamps and picture frames fell to the ground and shattered.

We both screamed, but luckily we weren't the ones hit. I closed my eyes and prayed. Please don't drop another one, please don't...

The seconds passed in agony as we waited. I rubbed my head against Sammy’s whispering soft words and singing a song that the milk man hummed in the morning. The milk man? I wonder, did he survive? Was he still okay?

Gradually, it became quieter. I could still hear the whir of the airships, but they seemed to be heading the opposite direction. I heaved a sigh after I was sure that they passed. Sammy moaned and fell asleep in my arms.

For a while, it was finally quiet. Still, there was no way I'd be able to sleep easy now.

I closed my eyes. If things could just stay this way...please...

A world without war, without airships, without pain and worry. I wondered what it was like to live in Sammy's world. Dolls, tea parties, and arithmetic... She must be so frightened that this horrible war was shaking her world.

I wanted to break down and cry, but I knew that I had to stay strong.

Sammy was still sleeping peacefully in my arms.

<i>For you, I'll be strong,</i> I thought. <i>I'm not going to let anything hurt you. We'll stay alive and safe. Don’t ever lose hope, Sammy. It’s too early for you to grow up now.</i>

Inspired by the WWI British air raids. This was a short story "song request."

Genya GOLD said...
Genya GOLD, Bridgewater, New Jersey

"Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics."-Unknown Author

Aww, older guy, younger sister/friend relationship. I thought the middle was nice, with the air raid going on and all.