Never Forgotten | Teen Ink

Never Forgotten

September 26, 2010
By MitchB. SILVER, Lol, Florida
MitchB. SILVER, Lol, Florida
9 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"


On the 107th floor of the South World Trade Center, stood Drew and Kerry Thomson. As they stood on the observation deck, their gazes fixed upon New York City, the wind slowly moved around them. “It’s so…..beautiful” said Kerry, who was wrapped in her husbands arms. “Took the words out of my mouth,” he responded with a slight chuckle, “Well, we should get going, your parents are probably worried about us”. Kerry checked her watch, realizing the time was 8:40 a.m. They walked near the glass doors, leading to the elevator that would take them back to the lobby. The heated air hit them as they walked into the observation deck lobby, a calendar on the wall marked the day as September 11, 2001, next to it a clock showed a time of 8:43. “You know, I feel like walking” announced Kerry, seconds before the elevator door opened, releasing a swarm of tourists. “Honey, were on the 107th floor, that’s a long walk!”
“We could just walk to the 100th floor. How many more times are we going to come here anyways? This could be our only chance to see the stairwell.”
“We are going to be back here tomorrow, remember, I have a job interview on the 12th.”
“We should still take the stairs”
“Fine, you’re a very difficult person to negotiate with”
“I know, and that’s what you love about me!” Kerry said with a wide grin.

Slowly, they made their way through the crowds and into the stairwell, Kerry checked her watch once more 8:45, 20 minutes late. Together, they took one step in a fluid motion. Three seconds later, the building shock violently. They head screams from behind the door.

“What was that!” exclaimed Kerry, looking up passed Drew and to the door.

“I don’t know” They headed back toward the grey door, and Drew pushed it open forcefully. People gathered around the edge of the building, looking toward the north tower, smoke filled the deck.
“What’s going on?” Drew asked a person who was running to the elevator.
“A plane just hit the north tower!” the man said in between gasps. He pushed Drew’s hand off of his shoulder and continued his escape.
“Oh my god! What do we do!?” asked Kerry franticly.
“We need to get out of here, go to the stairs!” Drew yelled back over the crowds. Sirens went off down below, as well as on the observation deck. “Everyone, please exit the Top of the World Observation deck immediately by the elevators of stairs!” a voice said from a megaphone located somewhere unseen.

Screams filled the couples ears as the pushed their way through the crowd into the stairwell. The screams seemed to come from everywhere, the north tower, from below them, next to them. They were the screams of terror and death, the screams of lost souls, who had no idea the hellish fate which awaited them.

Once again, the pair found themselves in the bland brownish stairwell, but this time, instead of being overjoyed with the thought of the delicious dinner they would share whit Kerry’s parents, they were filled with terror. The clock on Kerry’s wrist indicated that the time was 9:02 am.

Together, along with a gaggle of other tourists and business people, they raced down the stairs, only making it to the 105th floor in three minutes.

With out warning, the building shuddered, much more violently than the first time, throwing them all off balance, and sending them crashing the floor. Below, they heard screams, and somewhere, deep inside the tower, many floors down, Kerry smelt the faint bitter odder of fuel and smoke….


The author's comments:
Something i thought of while watching Titanic on 9-11-09 but never got the chance to write it. I will post more later. Please comment about any changes or ways to improve!