1942 | Teen Ink

1942

By karen_xo PLATINUM, West Chester, Pennsylvania
karen_xo PLATINUM, West Chester, Pennsylvania

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working."
— Pablo Picasso

Dear Mama and Papa,

I know you’ll never get to read this, but my diary is all I have left now, and it comforts me to write to you. I want to tell you that I can’t go on any longer. This isn’t life. They took you away from me and I don’t know anyone anymore. I look around and I see tiny children dying in the streets, a brokenhearted old lady kneeling over her son’s body, cradling in her arms the head with a hole in the center. I want to look away, leave, but I can’t. Everywhere it’s the same.

Today I watched autumn leaves get plucked off thin branches by invisible hands and swirl away through the air, and I wondered, are we as insignificant and helpless as these leaves lost in the wind? Are we so easily swept away, and stripped of everything? There are no easy answers. But I decided that I would rather be a leaf lost in the wind than one crushed beneath merciless feet.

I think by this time you’ve already left this nightmare, for good. That’s why I’m doing this. Because I want to be with you. I won’t let any Nazis take me away like they took you away. When I am finished this letter, I will be done with this world. I’m on the top floor of the building. I wish I could see you one last time. I’m trying to be brave, but it’s so hard. See, my hand is shaking so badly I can hardly read what I’m writing.

I look at this empty place and remember all that we lost, and I hope that where I’m going, where you are, I’ll find everything all over again. I will always be haunted by the past, yet freed by it. And now, I can’t say goodbye, though I know I’ll be seeing you soon. I’ll see you on the other side of swastikas, bullet-ridden bodies, crowded rooms, the stench of decay, sidewalks with ugly stains of blood that a thousand storms could not wash away. I’m going to leave all this behind and be with you again, and I can think of nothing more beautiful.

Love always,
Your daughter.

Joey C said...
Joey C, Waterford, Wisconsin
I dig on this story because it had amazing detail and a good use of words. I belive you could be and author. I would rate this book 4 stars. But 4 stars is good. You should make one on 9/11.

Kaitlyn F. said...
I though your story was sad, yet beautiful. I liked how it was written in letter format. It had wonderful descriptive words.

Kaylah said...
I really liked your story it was a good story. It was in the format of a letter but then it was in your diary and I loved it.

-Madhatter- PLATINUM, Ballwin, Missouri

"I hate it when people see you in the supermarket and they are like 'Hey! What are you doing here?' and I'm just like 'Oh you know....hunting elephants'"

Wonderful! I write about the Holocaust too... maybe you can read and rate my stuff?

hiddenangelz211 DIAMOND, Haverhill, Massachusetts

Live Laugh Love ~Unknown
I'm selfish, impatient, a little insecure but if you can't handle me at my worst then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best ~Marilyn Monroe
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. ~James Dean

an absolutely amazing letter :') i love it! ♥ read and rate mine?

sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

Wow.  Great job.

SaddleShoeGal PLATINUM, Granite Canyon, Wyoming

"History is the key to the future"--Melinda Emerson
"Never tell the truth to those unworthy of it"--Mark Twain

This was so sad! You captured the emotions beautifully and amazingly! I wish that I could write like you! It almost made me cry!

Lauren101 SILVER, Mansfield, Texas
Great job! Could you check this out and give me feedback? :) http ://www.teenink .com /fiction/historical_fiction/article/97138/The-Tripoli-Chronicle/

johnsone said...
Honestly I thought this was a very emotional piece. You really were able to capture the emotion that some people must of felt during the holocaust. Other then a few times in your writing when you had words that werent to descriptive like very, high things like that. If you would have replaced some of those words with more descriptive ones this would of made the piece so much better. However I did like your use of rhetorical questions such as, "are we as insignificant as leaves lost in the wind?" Well overall this was a really engaging piece and other then a few undescriptive words it was reall enjoyable to read

Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

You're welcome.

— Pablo Picasso

Thanks so much :) That means a lot to me!

Wow, this made my eyes water. You have captured great emotion in this story. I knew it would be about the Holocaust because of the title '1942'. Great job :)

— Pablo Picasso

Thanks for your feedback. Here's my reply...

Not everything has to be stated directly in fiction. The Nazis and swastikas could refer to no other time period, so I really don't see the problem. Besides, you have to consider the perspective of the piece. This is a girl who is writing her last words; it's what she would say to her parents if they could hear her. She doesn't care what anyone else thinks. She knows her parents would understand her, and she doesn't need to explain to herself that she's in the Holocaust, because she knows. And finally, I actually made it my intention not to say the word Holocaust. I guess my writing style is to be a little bit vague and leave it up to the readers to decide what's going on (Hemingway also used this style). It makes for a more engaged reader.

The "but" issue is a matter of stylistic choice. That rule should probably be followed for school assignments and such, but in creative fiction it can be abandoned. I thought the sentence "There are no easy choices" deserved to stand on its own so it could have more impact. Depending on how you look at it, that sentence could also refer to the big questions that all humans experience at some point.

As for the vague adverbs, remember that this is from the perspective of a young girl writing a letter in her diary. I tried to adopt a brave, hopeful, slightly hurried tone. What do you suggest I could have used in place of those adverbs that would still not sound out of place?

Thank you.

smithg said...
Overall, i thought this was a great story that really showed alot of emotions and captured the true meaning of the Holocaust. There are some things i did find wrong with this though, for instance, you never really told us that it was the Holocaust you just let us assume, like how you said nazis and swastikas just implying it. Another thing was toward the end of the second paragraph, you started a sentance with but when the two sentences could have easily been combined. And lastly, it seems like you use alot of vague adjectives all through the passages like hard, easily, badly, easy, and hardly. Other than that, it was great.

wow simply amazing great job!