Farm Boy And The Mob | Teen Ink

Farm Boy And The Mob

January 7, 2021
By Anonymous

Farm Boy And The Mob

It was a nice day outside with a clear blue sky and was very sunny. It was the perfect day for the Miller family to get a lot of work done to make enough money to keep their farm. The Miller family works hard every day but can’t seem to bring in enough money to help keep the farm. During these times, being a farmer was tough because the prices drop so low that they go bankrupt and lose their farms. 

First thing in the morning there was a family meeting about what can help get more money. “I called this meeting because we are in trouble and could lose the farm,” said Tim “we need ideas to help get us money because so far we haven’t made squat”. Tim doesn’t want want to lose the family farm and this is his last chance to save it. “Maybe we can sell our crops to the rich,” said Karl, the youngest child. “What rich, did you forget that their money disappeared,” Said Tim angrily. Karl always tries to give good ideas but he never thinks them through. The family keeps talking down on Karls’s ideas and never work it out. His brother Garrett always picks on him and make him feel bad about himself. “Why don't you just not do anything at all Karl, you just ruin everything,” said Garrett. “Stop being so mean to your brother,” Samantha said.  Samantha is the only one who supports Karl’s decisions and is like the perfect mother to him.

The family all decided that Karl should have the day off. “Go and have fun today, we will work on the farm and get things done,” Samantha says to Karl. Karl leaves the farm and goes wandering through the city. “What can I do to get some money” Karls says to himself. “Hey, kid, over here,” says a guy standing by the ally. “If it's money problems you have maybe I can help you” Karl walks over to the guy and says “I can really use the help”. “If you can take this box over to the house down the street, I will give you a cut of the action,” Says the man. “ what’s in the box,” Karl asked. “None of your business kid, you gonna ask questions or deliver the box,” said the man angrily. “Sorry,” said Karl as he takes the box and walks to the house. He approaches the house and knocks on the door. The door opens a crack and all you can see is the guys eyeball looking at him. “Who are you,” the man said. “I have a box for you,” Karl said scared. “You not the cops are you,” the man asked. “No,” Karls says. The man opens the door all the way and checks his surroundings then takes the box from Karl and gives him a wad of cash. Karl quickly goes back to the man and gives him the money. “You’re a natural kid, we could use someone like in the mob,” said the man. “Could it get me a lot of money?” Karl asked. “ kid you will be loaded with cash” Says the man. “Well I could really use it, so I guess I’m in” Karl responds. “Great I will take you to the don, and you can be bootlegging like us,” Said the man. 

The man takes Karl downtown to the mob hangout and Karl is a little nervous to meet the don. “May I ask what your name is?” Karl asked. “They call me Vito “Grease Head” Lombardi, but you can just call me Vito” the man replied. “Ok Vito is the don a good person,” asked Karl. “He is not a bad guy as long as you are on his good side,” Vito said. “And if you are not,” Karl said. “Well let’s just say they happen to go missing,” Vito said. They get to the hangout and it's an Italian restaurant. Vito takes Karl to the back and introduces him to the don. Vito explains how he delivered the box to the man and the don was impressed. “You seem like a great fit to the mob kid, but I will know if you can take this package to Mr. Marcado, and old friend of mine,” said the don. “If you can do that then you’re in the mob”. Karl grabs the package and gets ready to leave. On his way out he was interrupted by the don. “One last thing before you go, look out for coppers and if you run into them you know nothing about us,” said the don. Karl nodded then left.

Karl makes his way around town to find the house of Mr. Marcado. He enters the street and he notices that police have been looking at him. Karl freaks out for a second and when he sees a cop walking to him so he stealthy hands it to a kid near him and make a deal if he would make the delivery. “Hey kid what you doing,” said the police officer. “Just walking sir” Karl replies. “Well you look like you were up to no good, you mind if we search you,” said the officer. “Not at all” Karl replies. The cop searches him and finds nothing. “Well you clean, sorry for wasting your time,” said the officer as he walks away. Karl looks over at the kid as he finished the delivery. The kid runs to him and gives him the money and runs away. Karl turns around and sees the don walk to him. “Way to go kid, welcome to the mob,” the don says. “Keep the money you made today, you earned it kid”. The don walks away back to the hangout and goes back home to the farm. 

Karl gets to the farm and walks inside. “Welcome home Karl, did you have fun,” asked his mom. Karl pulls out the money he made today and puts it on the table. “Where did you get this money,” his father asked. “I got a job” Karl replied. “That should be enough to save the farm”. Tim was shocked. He was surprised that of all people Karl helped saved the farm. “You did great son, sorry for ever doubting you,” Tim said. Karl went to his room to lay down after all that work. He knows that he can’t tell his parents that he joined the mob but he will keep lying about having a job and will live a happier life.