Yao Wang Or Arthur Kirkland? | Teen Ink

Yao Wang Or Arthur Kirkland?

January 24, 2014
By PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana
PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana
91 articles 18 photos 330 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."


I looked at the man with the big bushy eyebrows and giggled. Surely it would be hilarious having him as a caretaker!

I looked at the man with the ponytail draped over his shoulder. He seemed kind and almost motherly.

As a very young nation, barely able to walk, I had been faced with this choice.

China or England?

Yao or Arthur?

They were both kneeling a good distance away from me on either side. I stood with my pudgy fingers curled into fists. I was determined to make the better choice.

But it was impossible to choose.

The two nations were so unlike each other that they couldn’t be compared. How could I possibly pick one?

Yao was Asian just like me. We would find common ground quickly. We would be able to easily relate to one another.

But he had other little nations in his care. Who’s to say he won’t forget about me?

Arthur was European. He was a stranger. Our customs were very different and he may not approve of everything I do. But I would be his only colony…for now. Who’s to say he won’t find someone better and leave me by myself?

Yao was an excellent cook but could be strict and unforgiving.

Arthur couldn’t cook to save his life and his grudges were eternal.

Yao was sweet and caring and loved all his colonies.

Arthur was kind and considerate and would never hurt his colonies.

Yao beckoned to me with a broad smile, whispering words in Chinese.

Arthur grinned widely, begging to me leave Yao.

I look from Yao to Arthur and back again.

With a sudden realization, I ran towards Yao who caught me in an embrace, smirking at Arthur in triumph. He lifted me up and began walking home. I laid my head on his shoulder.

Now Yao would have another mouth to feed, another diaper to change, another nation to look after, another colony to keep safe.

But Arthur…

Arthur would have enslaved me sooner or later. I have always been told that Westerners are greedy and they do not fear us. They will take what they want and leave you to die. They will take control of you and make sure you don’t try to run away. He would have forgotten about me. He would have neglected me. I would have been overworked and underfed, the demands being increased by the day.

Yao wouldn’t do that. I am his own. We are the same. We are Asian. He will look after me and keep me safe and warm and well fed and happy.

I fell asleep as I heard the sobs of the poor British man whose dreams I had broken.


The author's comments:
This is from India's perspective. I know that India was a British colony, but what if India had a choice?