Epilogue to "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins (My own version) | Teen Ink

Epilogue to "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins (My own version)

April 3, 2012
By firelord SILVER, Queensbury, New York
firelord SILVER, Queensbury, New York
8 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost


I know four things. One, I am named after my mother’s sister, Primrose Everdeen, who was killed in an explosion during the revolution against the Capitol. My full name is Primrose Rue Mellark. Two, my mother took part in what was once the Hunger Games; an annual event where 24 tributes from 12 districts between the ages of 12 and 18 would fight to the death in a televised arena. For all of Panem to see. Three, the old president of Panem, Coriolanus Snow, did not die by my mother’s hand as it was thought to have been. Perhaps he choked on his own blood and even laughed to death. But his daughter, Alma Coin, died on that very same day when an arrow pierced an unintended target: her heart. Four, my father, Peeta Mellark once saved my mother’s life with bread, and she returned that favor by healing him. Since that day of the Reaping, they were forever immortalized as the boy with the bread and the girl on fire.


I gently crawl out of bed and I can feel the radiant heat from my brother’s body. His name is Cinna. He has nightmares about the games of which he never took part of, so he occasionally comes into my room. But that’s okay, he’s still young. I traverse across the hardwood floor that quickly saps the heat-retaining energy from my feet. I stare into my parents’ room and notice my mother has begun to stir in a most unpleasing manner. Her nightmares again. My father is sound asleep, nothing could wake him. Ever so quietly, I tiptoe to her bed. I kneel down beside her and stroke her hair. I finish a very old lullaby once sung to my aunt and the little girl named Rue.


“...Here it’s safe, here it’s warm


Here the daisies guard you from every harm


Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true


Here is the place where I love you…”

A graceful expression reveals itself, and I see the beginning of a tear. Taking this as my cue, I walk into the living room. Beautiful images of paintings my father drew are hung about, and this place has a nice, homey feel to it.

I head over to the mahogany table and stroke a stab wound. I grab a cheese bun, my game bag, hunter’s jacket, bow and arrow, and a canteen of water. I’m an excellent shot and very good at hunting. My mother’s side. Of course.

I walk out the door into the cool summery air of August. District 12 has roots all around it. Meaning, so much history has happened within its boundaries even my own path has brushed past it. I steadily jog over to a grassy field called the Meadow. More appropriately, a graveyard. But this hardly bothers me. People live, people die, and people get buried.

Under president Paylor’s authority, Panem is a nice place to live. We’re self-supportive, thanks to the specialization of other districts, and rules and laws are created and enforced with a diplomatic and righteous heart. Hunting is still illegal because food supply is always kept constant, but I don’t care. It’s only because District 13 was so uptight about it. You could say I’m a rebel in training. As I think this, I hear Mockingjays whistle and sing. I duck under District 12’s outlying fence and head into the woods.

Cautiously, I walk through, hoping to find some meat. The leaves are still bright green, but I can tell they’re growing weary and will change color soon. I make my way further back and I see two plump squirrels, a rabbit and a nice-sized turkey. I prepare to kill the latter.

I ready myself to make the shot. My silver bow glistens in the sun as I draw back a matching arrow. I aim at the turkey’s eye, about to shoot, when a foreign arrow comes whizzing past my head killing my prey. I turn to see a striking young man about my age with dark hair and gray eyes.

Angered, I yell-whisper, “What do think you’re doing?! Can’t you see that shot was as good as mine?” He so coolly replies, “You snooze, you lose. So tell me, what’s a dame like you doing in these godforsaken woods?”

“What does it look like? I’m hunting.”

“You know it’s illegal? But hey, who am I to talk, right?”

“I suppose. But where do you come from?”

“My dad is taking a leave off work in District 2 to come back here and recount the old days before the revolution. He was a part of it. But I need my solitude, you know?”

I respond, “Actually, I do. That’s why I’m here. Why don’t we take a walk? You know, introduce ourselves, what do you, etc. That stuff. It’ll be fun, I promise.”

He hesitates, but finally says, “Okay. Let’s walk.”

Before we talk- and before our first stop- I manage to shoot three squirrels, a rabbit and a beaver meandering around the pond. That’s when we see it.

Up head towards the pond sits a little shack, small, quaint, and it even has a place for a fire. We walk to it, and notice shining name tags on the front steps. They read Bonnie and Twill. Whoever they are, they’re gone now.
We ignore them as we cautiously approach inside. There’s a hardwood floor, walls, some chairs and a fire pit.

We sit, and introduce ourselves. I say, “My name is Primrose.Pleasure to meet you.” He replies, “I’m Cirro. Back at you.”

We chat for what seems like hours. I get to know Cirro. He comes from District 2, his father used to be part of the rebel group that brought down the Capitol. He’s “taking a break” from his family. His dad is recounting all of the events that happened here, which makes him go into a quiet, zoned place. Cirro’s dad is a hunter, so he taught him. He’s out looking for some fresh meat, not that inhumane pre-packaged junk. It’s about 11 a.m. It’s been six hours since we met up here, but I have to go back. Yet, I want to stay. Is this odd?

“I have to get going,” I say shyly. “I’m gone for awhile at a time, but they’ll start to worry. Why don’t you come over for dinner tomorrow? We can make my turkey.”

“Sounds good,” he replies, “and I think you mean my turkey. Okay, where’s your place?”

“I live in an area called the Victor’s Village. It’s a circular area with twelve houses. You can’t miss it. Mine’s the only occupied one.”

“Bye, for now, I guess.” And he kisses me. I just met this guy, but he feels like an old friend. Sounding like a dazed schoolgirl, I say, “See ya.”


It’s one day later, and dinner approaches. I’ve seen Cirro two more times after our first encounter, and each one has ended with a kiss. Oops. I’m letting my walls be torn down. This might be love. True love.

My mother and father are prepping the kitchen. “Peeta,” she begins, “Who exactly are we having over?”

He says, “Not sure. Prim says his name is Cirro Hawthorn, and his family is coming over, too.”

My mother stiffens.

“And what does this ‘Cirro’ look like?”

“I don't know, Katniss. Prim says he has black hair and gray eyes.”

My mother stiffens. “Oh…” is all she can say.

We hear a knock at the door. I open it. The first to enter is Cirro with the turkey and a little girl, who he says is his sister, Hazelle. He is followed by a tall man, with the same dark hair and gray eyes.

The second and I mean the second his father and my mother lay eyes on each other they stare in complete disbelief, then run and hug like they haven’t seen each other in a lifetime. They’re both in tears with little sobs and small laughs that say “unbelievable.”

My mother finally speaks, “Hello, Gale.” She is the happiest she’s been in years.

Gale tells her, “Hey, Catnip.”


The author's comments:
Yes, there is already an epilogue to Mockingjay, but I wanted to create my own version that'll give me goosebumps and more closure. THIS HAS SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY FINISHED THE ACTUAL BOOK.
I hope you enjoy!

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 44 comments.


Hidbu said...
on Jan. 7 2018 at 5:07 pm
Coin was not Snows daughter

on Apr. 29 2017 at 9:15 pm
Artistic_Geek_Roo_10 SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
6 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found in the darkest of places, but only if one remembers to turn on the light."
Albus Dumbledore

I like it all the way until you say that Katniss was happiest she'd been in years, because Katniss hated Gale after she found out it was his idea to bomb the Capitol, which killed Primrose. Plus, that would make Peeta really upset.

on Feb. 20 2017 at 2:37 am
RashelLiko SILVER, Tirana, Other
9 articles 0 photos 22 comments
really good story, I enjoyed it very much. You have natural raw talent! keep the good work.

on Jan. 9 2017 at 11:18 am
TheEvergreen SILVER, Birmingham, Alabama
8 articles 0 photos 64 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never laugh at live dragons." -JRR Tolkien

I tried writing my own ending a long time ago, but I think that this was much more satisfying!! Love it!

on Sep. 14 2016 at 1:43 am
taylor_lucille GOLD, Knoxville, Tennessee
14 articles 2 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
If your a hammer, everything looks like a nail. If your a singer, everything looks like a song. -Steven Tyler

Dude! this is AMAZING! I love love love the ending. The story line is easy to follow for someone who read all the books, and watched all the movies (about 20 million times myself). I love how the beginning starts off with a layout of how Katniss speaks. It instantly made me flash back to her. This gave me chills and made me tear up in the end. I feel like Katniss' daughter wouldn't "fall in love" so quickly, and that Peeta would be more surprised about the "Hawthorn" last name since he knows Gale, but i would totally have wanted this to go down. 100% Maybe it might. There's still hope for another book!

on Aug. 8 2016 at 1:29 pm
Amberleaf BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 127 comments

Favorite Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder-Molly Bawn

Wow, this is so good. Great Job! The only thing I don't understand is why doesn't Peeta recognize the name Hawthorn? I mean after all they did know each other for a while during the resistance… and from the Seam but over-all great job.

on Jul. 4 2016 at 5:48 pm
lovebella123 BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 9 comments
YOURS IS AMAZING! I LOVED IT! you should keep writing 4 us! I felt tingles when Prim met Gale's son in the woods.

on May. 16 2016 at 3:36 pm
WeirdosUnite GOLD, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
10 articles 5 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Give me your hands if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends"~Puck, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Maybe that's all Katniss wanted to tell her.

on May. 16 2016 at 3:36 pm
WeirdosUnite GOLD, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
10 articles 5 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Give me your hands if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends"~Puck, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Yes. Awesome is exactly what it is.

on May. 16 2016 at 3:35 pm
WeirdosUnite GOLD, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
10 articles 5 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Give me your hands if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends"~Puck, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Yeah--that was pretty unexpected--yet cool! And ditto on the detail part:)

on May. 16 2016 at 3:35 pm
WeirdosUnite GOLD, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
10 articles 5 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Give me your hands if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends"~Puck, A Midsummer Night's Dream

OMG!! That is SOOO good!!! @Goshawk you should totally read this!! AWESOME JOB PLEASE WRITE MORE!!

on Apr. 27 2016 at 8:32 am
DoubleA2 BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 3 comments
Your writing has a lot of good detail in it. I hope you continue to write. Some of the conclusions you wrote surprised me like Alma Colin being Snow's daughter.

on Apr. 19 2016 at 8:02 pm
sabbylynn BRONZE, Lehigh Acres, Florida
2 articles 2 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you want something you have never gotten, you will have to do something you have never done
Well behaved women seldom make history

i really loved the ending you could have drew out the story like telling a little about cirro and i like the children's names the only knowing 4 things is a little.... different but i like it anyways. the last line when gale says "hello, catnip" i loved that part so much keep working on it i think it was awesome.

sh1961 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 18 2016 at 9:22 pm
sh1961 BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment
why does she only know four things

on Jan. 14 2016 at 10:18 pm
Brooke_Bryan23, El Paso, Texas
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"You don't remember what happened; what you remember becomes what happened."

This is amazing!

on Jan. 14 2016 at 5:53 pm
I loved it. And all I can say is...THE FEEEEELS!!!

CianaB GOLD said...
on Jan. 4 2016 at 6:30 pm
CianaB GOLD, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 34 comments
I absolutely LOVED this!!!!! I enjoyed the fact that as soon as Prim and Cirro met I knew it was Gales son. The only thing I was wondering is why Peeta didn't recognize the last name Hawthorne.

on Nov. 5 2015 at 5:52 pm
ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri
40 articles 4 photos 68 comments

Favorite Quote:
Anything that can be done, can be undone. ~Scarlet City
http://eepurl.com/dcyZMn

Personally, I think this is a bit too long for an epilogue (a last chapter, maybe?). I think an epilogue should be short and sweet, and to the point. And, like my English teacher says, If you can't drop the mike, you didn't do it right.

on Oct. 22 2015 at 9:06 pm
Kiera1332 BRONZE, The Colony, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments
OMYGOSH I CANT EVEN... I CANT EVEN THINK RATIONALLY ENOUGH TO TYPE THIS SI AMAAAAZZZZZIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

HuntShot732 said...
on Oct. 4 2015 at 2:48 pm
HuntShot732, Thornton, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 15 comments
YYYYYYAAAAAAAASSSSSS I love it!