Hades and Persephone, Chapter One | Teen Ink

Hades and Persephone, Chapter One

February 9, 2012
By Jessica. SILVER, Lynwood, California
Jessica. SILVER, Lynwood, California
9 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
Call no man happy 'till he is dead


Persephone was out in the meadow playing with the wildflowers.

Her favorite were red tulips, she began to gather some for her mother and herself until she felt someone watching her. She turned around and looked at the tall thick trees. “Hello?” she called carefully.

There was no answer but she did see a shadow passing through quickly.

“Ares?” she asked, he had been coming over for a while now talking to her mother. Nobody answered so she tried again, “Ares?”

“Lady Persephone, who are you talking to?” a nymph asked from behind.

Persephone jumped, the nymph had frightened her, “Oh, nobody. I thought I saw someone in the woods.”

“I doubt someone would hide in there,” the nymph frowned. Persephone shrugged and picked up the flowers she had dropped when the nymph scared her. “Lady Demeter is looking for you,” the nymph informed.

“My mother? Why?”

The nymph pursued her lip and thought about it for a second, “I don't know miss.”

Persephone held on to her flowers tightly and ran to their small cabin.

Neither Persephone or her mother cared much for luxuries and the cabin they had seemed perfect. It was made out of nature, built with tree trunks and just about anything you could find in the woods to decorate it.

In the cabin, Persephone looked for her mother, “What's wrong?” she asked.

“Nothing, I just wanted to make sure you were safe. The woods aren't as safe as they seem Persephone,” her mother warned, being her usual overprotective self.

“Mother,” Persephone whined.

“No buts, Persephone, you stay inside the house unless someone is out there with you.”

“Fine,” grumbled Persephone. “I'm going to my bedroom.”

Persephone stomped off into one of the small rooms and threw herself on her flowered bed.

“Persephone!” her mother called a few minutes later, “Ares is here, he wants to talk to you.”

“I'm not coming out, it might be too dangerous,” she answered, trying to mimic her mothers tone.

“Come on, he wants to ask you something,” she hinted.

Persephone's eyes widened and she nearly barfed when she came to realization. Her mother had been pushing them together for weeks now...

“Gross,” she muttered and then smiled. “The window,” she smirked and opened her small window. Since Persephone was petite, she fit perfectly through it. She laughed once she was outside. Her mother won't notice until it'll be too late. Persephone began to run towards the woods where she could hide. She held in her giggles until she was far enough that she was sure her mother or Ares couldn't hear her.

She was giggling and running freely when it happened.

He couldn't take it any longer.

The earth cracked opened right in front of Persephone's bare feet and stopped her laughter abruptly. She gasped in wonder. What could this lead to?

Persephone was about to lean forward when she saw something from the corner of her eye. She turned to her side to get a better look at it when her vision blurred.

She was getting scared now, not for what was out there, but because she knew she wasn't going to be able to see what it was.

Strong hands gripped her waist and she felt herself being lifted off the ground. She grunted and kicked the empty air.

“I'm sorry,” she heard a husky voice whisper into her ear. She realized she was being put onto a carriage.

The strong hands didn't let her turn in any direction so she couldn't see who was holding her but she could see the black horses pulling the carriage.

“Who are you? MOTHER!! MOTHER!!! HELP!!!” she screamed.

Far ahead she could see Ares and Persephone's mother running towards her. “Persephone!!” her mother called. “Hades!! What are you doing! Bring her back, NOW!!!”

Persephone heard a chuckle from behind her. “Good bye Demeter,” the man holding her whispered right before the horses went straight to the crack on the Earth.

Persephone screamed as they began to fall down into darkness.

The last thing she saw was her mother being held back by Ares.


The author's comments:
I just love Hades, I don't see why Persephone didn't go willingly. I know I totally would.
Anyways, I read some fanfiction of them out there and thought I should give it a try.