To Kill a Mockingbird | Teen Ink

To Kill a Mockingbird

March 8, 2011
By MargaretC GOLD, Hopewell Jct, New York
MargaretC GOLD, Hopewell Jct, New York
14 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Disability is a matter of perception. If you can do just one thing well, you're needed by someone.
Martina Navratilova


I’m invisible. Locked up in my house. Neighbors hate me. They think I’m a murderer, a killer, or a crazed maniac. My brother Nathan hates me, doesn’t like me talking to anyone. I try to help, but whatever I do, Nathan don’t like it. I used to stay alone, all by myself, ignoring everyone, until I noticed those little kids from down the street. The Finches and their friend. I like children, but they don’t like me. I see everything that happens in my street, the school, houses, everything. No one knows I do. I saw that day, when those Finch kids went rolling in the tire. I watched the little one rolling. She couldn’t stop. The tire, it kept rolling, right into my yard. I don’t know why, but she was real scared when she saw where she was. Her brother too. They ran away from my house real fast when they realized where they were. Those children are odd. They are the only wants that seem to want to talk to me, yet they are real scared like the rest of the town. I think they want to meet me. I don’t know why. I don’t know why everyone is scared of me. Maybe it’s cause they don’t know me. They don’t know me at all. Only those Finch kids seem to want to understand me.I saw them that night, when the big one tore his pants. I didn’t care that they were there, but Nathan did. Nathan tried to kill them. People say I’m a killer, but Nathan tried to kill kids. If Nathan knew that I made that big boys pants all better, then he would probably kill me too. He doesn’t want me to do anything for anyone else. When I started putting those presents for the children in that hole in the tree, I didn’t know if they would see them. I snuck out of the house real late at night to put them there, when Nathan was asleep. But when those kids found them, they were sure happy. Happy, that’s what I felt when I saw their faces. That night. That night when I went walking, and that man, he attacked the children, I knew I had to do something. I ain’t proud of killing him, but it was the only way I could protect those children. How would I be able to live with myself if those children had died? I did the only thing I could do. I grabbed that knife, and stabbed him. I was scared. Killing someone ain’t something ya’ll should be able to do without feeling bad. I was upset. I had just stabbed this drunken man. What would the town think of me? But I did it,because those children taught me the fear can be love. Those children were scared of me, like everyone else, but they learned to love even a man like me.


The author's comments:
This is a monologue about To Kill a Mockingbird.