Eleven's Eggos | Teen Ink

Eleven's Eggos

November 30, 2021
By anyabeatrice GOLD, Encino, California
anyabeatrice GOLD, Encino, California
14 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world."
-Marilyn Monroe


Eggos are good. Like, really, really, good. The crunchiness, the flavor, the sweet crust, the fluffiness of the waffle...


“You’re thinking about Eggos again,” Mike says, annoyed, spread out on the couch. 


“No!” I reply, my cheeks growing red. “I'm not thinking about Eggos.” 


“I can go get you some more,” he suggests. I look at him.

 

“No. Stay.” 


And he stays. Boys are interesting creatures, as Max likes to say. Sometimes they listen, and sometimes they don’t. 

Sometimes they’re honest, and sometimes they hide things from you.


“Will,” I tell him, “I want to talk about Will.” 


“What about Will?” Mike asks, brushing a strand of dark hair out of his face. He leans in to kiss me, and I respond. Slowly, I pull away. He is trying to distract me. 

He is hiding something. 


“Why were you at his house yesterday?” I ask, crossing my arms.


Mike freezes, then slowly says, “we were playing Dungeons and Dragons.” 


“Mhm,” I say, and roll my eyes.


“Where’d you learn that?” he protests angrily. “You can’t roll your eyes at me!”


“Max says I can.” 


“Stop listening to Max!” Mike cries.


“Why were you at Will’s?” I repeat. “You weren’t playing D&D. Karen said Lucas wasn’t there. You never play without Lucas.” 


“You don’t understand,” he says, frowning, turning away from me.


“Max says that when boys say ‘you don’t understand,’ it really means they’re just doing something wrong.”


Mike’s eyes widen, and he stands up. “STOP COPYING EVERYTHING MAX SAYS! FOR GOD’S SAKE, SHE’S NOT YOUR BIBLE!”


“At least she doesn’t yell,” I shoot back, getting my jacket.

 

“Where are you going?” Mike asks, anxious. 


“To Max’s, because she’s not going to lie to me. Mike, if you’re cheating on me with Will, tell me! Be honest, for god's sake!” And with that, I slammed the door in his face.


Max was standing outside, her ear pressed against the window. 

We high-fived. “That was awesome, El! Now that he thinks you think he’s cheating, he’s gonna bring over ice cream, Eggos, and chocolate!” 


“He wasn’t over at Will’s, was he?” I asked, a little troubled. 


Max snorted. “Of course he was! I'm not one-hundred percent sure what they were doing in there, but Karen did overhear them talking about you and your Eggo addiction.”


Anger rushed through me, and I smiled. “Let’s go, Max. He should be over with sweets soon.” 


Max smiled. “And let’s hope he brings extra Eggos.”