The Day I (Almost) Jumped | Teen Ink

The Day I (Almost) Jumped

By greyclouds SILVER, Dickerson, Maryland
greyclouds SILVER, Dickerson, Maryland

"Together, We're Stronger."

I should have known it was a bad idea, but that didn't stop me. I should emphasize it truly was a really bad idea. I sat at the top of the cliff, looking into the waters below me and all I could think of was how mangled my body would be if I hit the rocks the wrong way.

I looked down to my left at the beach, looking at the four boys screaming at me to "just jump!". Embry, Paul, Jared, and Quil always go cliff diving and I was tired of being left out. A few arguments later and one very well thrown knife and here we are, standing on the edge of the tallest cliff in L.A. Push, with all my friends waiting for me to put some bite in my bark. I honestly just wanted to be let into the pack. Sure I'm technically a part of their group, but there's always been a disconnect. I feel lonely, but I'm not about to admit it to any of the boys that are currently sitting on the beach.

"Well, it's now or never, then." I took off my pants, readjusting my swimsuit bottom.

"One and two. One and two." I kept repeating the phrase to myself as I backed up from the cliff.

With one last deep breath and a mental apology to my parents for when they bury my body, I ran towards the edge and jumped.

Then I fell. I kept falling. It almost felt like an eternity.

Maybe it is eternity? I opened my eyes to see myself still dangling over the edge, almost levitating.

"No, before you ask, you're not flying."

I turned to see my old brother Jacob holding my shirt up with one hand like I was Simba and he was Rafiki.

I simply smiled.

"Let's focus on the fact that I didn't jump, okay?"

If only I could be part of the wolf pack in La Push.....

Olivia279 BRONZE, Bangor, Maine

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. - Carl Jung

This is a cool little excerpt or short story. I like how you explained the situation and the main character. Little stories like these are nice because they can become a longer story, or they can just stand alone.

Lydiaq ELITE said...
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

The universe must be a teenage girl. So much darkness, so many stars.
--me

Kind of reminds me of A Separate Peace, the book.